CUBE Chatshaala:- The Causerie will still be on!

[5/11, 10:05 PM] Saida: in today’s discussion we talked about floral dip method in cardamine plant :herb:
floral :hibiscus:dip method is basically diping :droplet:the flower​:hibiscus: in plasmid and detergent.:soap:
plasma containing gene of interest
and we are using detergent :soap:so that it can make pore in the cell membrane of the plant so that the plasmid can get incorporated in it.
[5/11, 10:05 PM] Saida: and the gene of interest that we talked about was antibiotic-resistant Gene that is kanamycin resistant gene
so why antibiotic resistance gene?:face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle:
does antibiotic affect plants :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
certainly not antibiotic is used to kill bacterias and not eukaryotes😅
now the question is how would an antibiotic will effect a plant if yes then how🙄
[5/11, 10:05 PM] Saida: so as an example we took penicillin which affects the cell wall of the bacteria
and even plants have cell wall so can antibiotic effect plant cell wall
the cell wall of the plant is made up of cellulose basically glucose β(1→4)-glycosidic bonds.
and cell cell wall of the bacteria is made up of peptidoglycan. peptide is a compound consisting of two or more amino acids and glycans are compounds consisting of a large number of monosaccharides linked glycosidically.
so if penicillium affects the glycosidic bond of bacteria then and it can also affect plant cell wall. but Penicillin prevents peptidoglycan from cross-linking and cross linking is through peptide so penicillin will not be able to effect plant cell.
[5/11, 10:05 PM] Saida: now coming back to kanamycin. kanamycin prevents Protein synthesis and there is protein synthesis in plants so maybe it can stop
Protein synthesis in plants as well .
but kanamycin bind to the 30s subunit of bacterial ribosome. and in eukaryotes there is no 30s subunit of ribosome there is 40s and 60s so it should not affect plants but plants also have mitochondria and cytoplasm that are of bacterial origin which have 30s and 50s subunits of ribosome. so technically kanamycin can affect eukaryotes as well
[5/11, 10:05 PM] Saida: so supposingly if I take animal cells there is no cell wall as well only cell membrane and I take some detergent to interrupt the cell membrane of the cell and add some plasmid will there be a gene transfer taking place??:question::question:
[5/11, 10:05 PM] Saida: we have figured out how would kanamycin will affect the plant cell and if there is gene transfer of kanamycin resistant Gene then cardamine can be grown even in kanamycin.
but how would we by detergent disrupting the cell membrane of plant incorporate our gene of interest?!:face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

18 May 2020, CUBE Room Webinar Summary

We started with @Rechel_tirkey ⁩ from CUBE Ranchi updating about her Moina cultures in her home lab.

Then, Gaurav Aggarwal⁩ studying at the Central University of Punjab joined us. We came to know that he has been working on Soil Worms or Nematodes.

We asked him about the things done by him before the lockdown.
So, as every nematode CUBist starts with, Gaurav also started collecting soil samples from the campus in a petri plate

Then, he prepared 2% Agar media and then poured it into another petri plate.

Why was 2% Agar used?

He also mentioned that 70% Ethanol was used by him as an attractant for the nematodes.
Why 70% Ethanol?
For me, it is used to make aseptic conditions and here it is being used as an attractant!
And Gaurav also said that Escherichia coli, a bacterium will be used by him to feed the nematodes.
I am sure that in their natural habitat, i.e. soil, not only E. coli, but many other bacteria would also be there on which the nematodes would feed.

So, Why specifically E. coli?
I suggested if bacteria are only needed, then the simplest source of bacteria would be milk which has nutrients in the form of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, minerals and fats as well as bacteria!
Instead of giving a Rajshaahi E. coli, milk bacteria can be used.

Can we start isolating the nematodes in our home labs?
What would be the procedure or design?

• Originally asked by @Arunan
    @Anshu_kadam_2813 ⁩ @bivasnag⁩ @⁨Kunal Kadam⁩ @⁨Omkar Badnale⁩ @Shivamkumar_Sriwas - How will you guys start isolating the soil worms with the minimal required things available at our homes!!?

All this would be further explained by Gaurav.
This was done as his immediate objective was to isolate the nematode and identify it.

But @Lydia and many others questioned, how do we identify the nematode or the worm which we have got.
Gaurav⁩ said about DNA sequencing!
It is not a thing which we can do at home! Is it?

@PChitralekha added that sequencing can be done for identifying the animal or plant at the species level. She gave the example of Chlorella algae which at the species level, would need DNA Sequencing.

Arunan Sir⁩, @Lydia, Mayur Gaikwad Sir⁩, Aashutosh Mule Sir⁩, @yash_sheregare ⁩said that can’t we proceed in identifying the nematode taxonomically?
Caenorhaditis elegans is the soil nematode which has Nobel-Prize on its name!
So, we can start identifying the nematode and take the characteristics of C. elegans as the Control or Standard, to match with, along with pictures and references.

First of all, how do we know that the animal which we have is an animal?
If we start with addressing such basic questions, we will we able to get a context which we can relate to the school/college curriculum!

Taxonomy is anyways thought of as a boring thing to teach as well as to learn.
So why not make it interesting by discussing with the help of a whole library in our hand; our mobile phone.
Along with gathering some pictures and examples at each taxonomic hierarchy.

Answering questions like how can a soil nematode be differentiated from an Earthworm!? would give us a good start.
If we show a microscopic image of a nematode, a child would say, "Arey, this is a small Earthworm!"

If I show a layman, my Moina culture bottle, he would say, “Aye, ye toh keeda hai”! (Oii, this is an insect!)!
For them, it may be a "keeda* or an insect, but for us, we know that it is not. So, how do we convince people about our organism!!?

We can start by relating it to some other organisms which anyone could be familiar with!
If we see, Nematodes, Earthworms, Frutiflies, Moinas… at some point in their classification, they are grouped together say in Kingdom: Animalia, then as we go further, we come to know that there are some characteristics, which make them different from each other due to which some end up in the soil, some fly in the air, and some swim in the water!

The only wait is for getting a good context to start with, rest, the CUBists will handle!

We also discussed the taxonomical classification of the Standard Drosophila melanogaster CsBz fly and Moina macrocopa, both of which are Model-organisms in CUBE.

Later, in the end, @saswathy679 from CUBE SN College Nattika, Kerala shared her Fruitfly Homelab Medium story and updated us about the cultures and current happenings at her place.

4 Likes

Online Discussions
17/05/2020 CUBE Room Webinar

We had discussions today on varied different
Topics starting from
Our special lockdown stimulated Home Made Medium for fruit flies - Tomato Rava SugarVineger Medium (TRS-V Medium)
To Moina Culturing, Circadian Rhythm studies in fruit flies, topics like Genetic drift in brief and many more!

Most highlighted Take home from Today’s Discussion

As @mayur sir added while discussing Moina Culture for Sweta CUBE Ranchi

Don’t put all your :egg: in one basket

In our CUBE , the context goes for every model system
Be it, Moina cultures (keeping of replicates)
Fruit fly cultures
Hydra cultures
Cardamine studies
And so on!
We need to have replicates for each time we try to do anything
Be it

1. culturing or maintaining Moina cultures, or making a new setup for Subculturing!
  2. Maintaining fruit fly cultures and even testing home made medium for Culturing fruit flies!
  3. Culturing Hydra, Having replicates!

@⁨Ashwathy CUBE Nattika⁩ , a Nattika CUBist has very well tried and made a working home made TRS V medium which worked well to give rise to larvae (in three days) pupae (in another w days) and next generation fly (after another 3 days, which means next generation fruit flies in 8 days! ) in her single medium bottle! ( This result we see evidently also in our Std Corn Meal agar medium)

Now, to confirm and say, it’s a medium that functions well
Or lets say,
To make this our standard Medium, we all together need to Design and make medium with Replicates and control

Which means?
When we make and test the medium and say the medium is working well for getting us larvae, pupae and next generation flies, it shouldn’t be giving us the result in just one medium bottle but atleast 3 replicates and even better for more bottles tried and tested by all other CUBE centers working on fruit fly and culturing them during Lockdown Collaboratively!

For that we all together must discuss it in length with details
The design of medium
The protocol of medium
Modifications in the medium if any
Number of replicates to be made
Number of fruit flies added in each bottle (keeping in mind and also adding and counting number of gravid females in each bottle)
Types of Control setup needed?

Please add in your inputs! :smile:

3 Likes

22 May 2020 CUBE Room Webinar

Yesterday’s discussion started with CUBist Abhijeet Singh, a Class XII student from Mumbai, sharing his experience in CUBE; he told us about the model organisms he worked on, the basic understanding of it. Abhijeet has worked on the Ventral Nerve Cord Regeneration in Earthoworms, on the Fruitflies as well and has also studied on Mosquitoes.
About Mosquitoes he told us about keeping Ovitraps. Abhijeet and @Hinaiqbal_Mudgal from Kanpur were discussing about their own experiences with mosquitoes, their current status and further plan.

Then, we came to the Drosophila-Fruitflies where @saswathy679 from Thrissur has been working a lot on the Fruitflies, be it trapping, medium preparation, preparing single line cultures. So, Abhijeet was new to this so we heard the summary of @saswathy679’s work so far and her further plan.

Then from South, we went to East-India in Asansol, West Bengal where @OYINDRIL is also working on fruitflies. As of now, the Circadian Rhythm Studies are being done by him.
We would like to know about your work @OYINDRIL DUTTA…!

@OYINDRIL is also planning to prepare media to maintain his fruitflies. So @saswathy679 is also working on fruitflies. As of now, the Circadian Rhythm Studies are being done by @OYINDRIL DUTTA…
We would like to know about your work @OYINDRIL DUTTA…!

He is also planning to prepare media to maintain his fruitflies. So Aswathy, who is now confident of sharing the Procedure (secret recipe🤭) of her media, we should look forward to get updates.
So her we saw that CUBE is acting as a connecting link between Thrissur, Kerala and Asansol, West Bengal where collaboration is taking place at every step and problems are being solved!

As @Arunan said, there is lack of anticipation/expectation from our work!
We should expect something in order to get something. If we aren’t expecting only, then what are we going to look for?
And also when proposing a hypothesis, design of an experiment, we should not do it vaguely but proceed with confidence so that the fellow viewers would be eager to know what is happening.
The way of presenting our work with proper headline/breaking news, plan, expectations matters the most!

Not to forget, Evidence based Research is what we should focus on, otherwise it would be like doing a ritual of which no one cares of!
Evidences, archives in the form of Research Papers (from recognized labs, universities, journals, authors/scientists along with cross references), Photos and Videos with a proper hypothesis/strong statement are the things which we should look for, further which would convince our audience!

For example, if we are preparing the Fruitfly medium at home, then we should start mentioning the quantity of media, the requirements of it, the texture, the procedure, cooking time…
If we say that 100mL medium was prepared just like that, then some fellow CUBist trying to reproduce the same medium won’t be able to do it.

Why?
Because we lacked in details!
This is why Arunan Sir always emphasises on giving the details because The DEVIL and the DEVINE is in the Detail!

But, if we go by saying that 100mL medium was measured using a cup or any other utensil, then it would be somewhat relatable otherwise people won’t do it saying that "we don’t have the sophisticated equipments for measuring and all… so we won’t proceed!"
@mayur added that simply relating the amount which we want by imagining/visualising the ~measurements which we use in our labs, will do the trick! (not necessary that the amount should be accurate everytime!)

Looking forward to get updates from everyone!

A short-summary after the Webinar will make sure that the discussion starts in the group!

2 Likes

26th May & 27th May 2020
CUBE Room Webinar (A short summary)

While discussing in the webinar for the past 2 days,
@saswathy679 and many others were believing or claiming that temperature might be a factor that gave a delayed life cycle.

So, the story goes like this…:point_down:
@saswathy679 as a very good or a very thriving culture which started from 6th May.
Within 8 days, i.e. on the 8th day (14/05/2020), new generation flies ecloded from the pupae.
After 4 days i.e. on 18th of May, another set of media was made and the newly emerged as well as the parent flies from the 6th May bottle were transferred into the newly prepared 18th May media bottle.

In this 18th May TRSV media bottle, Aswathy could not locate any larvae for almost 7 days i.e. from 19th May to 25th May…but on 26th May, small and big larvae could be seen by @saswathy679 as a very good or a very thriving culture which started from 6th May.
Within 8 days, i.e. on the 8th day (14/05/2020), new generation flies ecloded from the pupae.
After 4 days i.e. on 18th of May, another set of media was made and the newly emerged as well as the parent flies from the 6th May bottle were transferred into the newly prepared 18th May media bottle.

In this 18th May TRSV media bottle, Aswathy could not locate any larvae for almost 7 days i.e. from 19th May to 25th May…but on 26th May, small and big larvae could be seen by @saswathy679 i.e. on the 8th day!

During the webinar,
Aswathy claimed that temperature might be the factor responsible for this delay.
When asked what was the temperature, it was told that it’s 27°C.

For me, and @yash_sheregare ,
We had 2 reasons for ruling out the factor of temperature!
:point_right: 27°C is normal (lab temperature) where we used to culture our fruit flies, the standard as well as the native single lines. And within 8 days we used to get the next generation flies.
:point_right: Aswathy herself got a thriving culture in the same place at the same location using the same media (without making any changes) few days back…not even a month old story…
And I looked for the temperature of those days.

There isn’t much drastic difference in the temperature that would affect the life cycle of fruit flies giving a delayed cycle.

If you ask me what was the temperature during those days.
I’m giving a reference along with the data of the temperature on all those days from 6th May to 16th May (the bottle which had a thriving culture) and from 17th May to 25th May (the newly made same type of media which was claimed to show a delayed life cycle of almost 7 days!!)

Reference: https://www.accuweather.com/en/in/thrissur/188812/may-weather/188812

May
6th - 34°/24° C
7th - 34°/22° C
8th - 32°/26° C
9th - 33°/25° C
10th - 33°/25° C
11th - 33°/25° C
12th - 33°/26° C
13th - 33°/26° C
14th - 34°/25° C
15th - 33°/26° C
16th - 32°/25° C

17th - 33°/26° C
18th - 29°/25° C
19th - 31°/25° C
20th - 33°/24° C
21st - 31°/28° C
22nd - 32°/25° C
23rd - 33°/29° C
24th - 33°/27° C
25th - 33°/25° C

@saswathy679 prepared media on 17th May too…
But, I emphasized more on 18th media as that was a replica of the media made on 6th May.
On 18th May, the 6th May media was replicated and flies from the 6th May bottle were transferred into these 18th May media bottles.
So we have the temperature range from 17th May to 24th May as well.

Do we really see a temperature difference or drastic deviation in these day??
I dont see any!!
Is it really a temperature bhagwan at fault or is it some other factors???

Today,
when we were again discussing about the same thing,
still we were stuck in the temperature thing!
Surprisingly, diapause & humidity factors also came up…okay…agreed…

So…What is Diapause?
A period of suspended development in an insect, other invertebrate, or mammal embryo, especially during unfavourable environmental conditions.
Unfavourable conditions!!!???
What unfavourable conditions did Aswathy or her flies faced??
Humidity was an answer…okay

So…What is Humidity?
Its the quantitative amount of water vapour present in atmosphere.
How can this affect the flies which are cultured inside a bottle which is kept closed all the time and is opened only when we have to transfer flies…??

[size=4]Now, I would like to tell what could be the reasons along with the explanations for the so claimed delayed life cycle of Aswathy’s flies.[/size]

:point_right: According to @saswathy679’s observations,
She saw larvae on 26th May (both small and big)
And then, today i.e. on 27th May, she got pupae!!
Can a larva turn into a pupa within a day?
Its impossible according to my experience and observaions with the standard and the native fly cultures.
It takes minimum 2-3 days for a larva to turn into a pupa.

What can we infer from this?
Observation is lacking because strong expectation is missing
LOGICAL EXPECTATION…that has a great role in science, especially in DESIGN

I’ll explain it more…
If Aswathy saw a larva on 26th May and it turned to a pupa on 27th May…
That means there were larvae in the media 3 days before.

So…
On 23rd May, the flies had laid eggs,
On 24th May, the first stage of larva (1mm size)
25th May, second stage larva (2mm size)
26th May, third stage larva (3mm size)
On 27th May, i.e. today, we got to see pupae!!

So what happened??
Expectations were missing
Keen observation with interest was missing
Its ok, she might have missed out…this happens with many of us…but directly taking temperature as the sole reason is not right…
Human errors are to be first analysed.

Its not that temperature cannot affect.
But we need to have the proper data giving evidences that there was a drastic change in the temperature.
As well as we need to be sure that there wasnt any missing out of observations or expectations that happened from our own side.

:point_right: There could be one more reason,
A normal female fly can be mistaken for a gravid fly.
May be that those female flies weren’t gravid or fertile

This is my comment on the summary of the webinar that we had.
Waiting for comments from everyone.

3 Likes

Summary- CUBE Room Webinar
Thursday, May 28th 2020

Moina-A brief discussion

The discussion started with the freshwater-crustacean Moina. I updated everyone about the Moina cultures at my home lab.
Then, I shared the breaking news of observing yellowish-green colour on the base and walls of the bottles.
I suspect that it is Algae which is taking over in the Yeast bottles. I added that once I see more greenish growth, I will add ~10 Moinas in both the bottles.
@KiranyadavR and Abhijeet Singh asked that how will the Moinas survive in those bottles? If we look at their natural environment which is ponds and lakes, the Moinas feed on Algae, Bacteria and Fungi (Yeast and others) present in the fresh-water bodies there.*

It will be interesting to know about their feeding mechanism on Algae and Fungi.

Abhijeet Singh asked about my Research Question and how am I working on that.
Research Question: How do the Moinas undergo colour change (colourless to coloured and vice versa) in less-oxygen condition or hypoxia and is it due to Histone modifications?

I said that it is very simple to induce hypoxia and observe the colour change of the Moinas. Everyone (if they have Moinas at their place) can do it in their home labs and the first possible colour change would be noticed by them in 72 hours!

And once the Moinas become coloured ones, we can turn them back into colourless Moina.
How!!?
By again keeping them back in Normal oxygen condition or Normoxia.
Here too, after a day i.e. ~24 hours or less than that, the 3rd day Pale Yellow or coloured Moinas will turn into colourless Moinas.

So we see that such simple experiments which can be done at home are the base of understanding the complex mechanisms like Histone acetylation/deacetylation, Remodeling and others.

Yesterday, a major goof-up happened by me that I burdened everyone present in the Webinar by explaining these complex mechanisms (without the help of any diagrams as such) instead of starting with the basics and explaining it simply!

My Apologies to everyone

I learnt that evidence based research is essential in explaining a complex system.
I have data, so I am able to explain.

Later, many others questions were asked.
Let us discuss them here. CUBists please repost the questions here.

Then, there came an issue of misunderstanding Milk as a Mutagen!!
@Vaibhavib99 and later @Shalu added that many people assume that the colour change of the Moinas from colourless to coloured ones and vice versa is due to mutations and reverse mutations respectively!

How is that even possible?
Does that mean many of us are consuming a mutagen?
No way!

Mutations take place when there is a change in base-pair sequence of the DNA.
They take time to get expressed.

And as I mentioned earlier, only the configuration of DNA and Histone is changed and rest all remains the same.
THE DNA SEQUENCE DOES NOT CHANGE!

So milk in any form, is not a mutagen which will cause mutations in Moinas!!
This is where we go wrong in understanding the TEXTBOOKISH things!

Instead of ending it here, we took it somewhere else.:grimacing::man_facepalming:

Fruitflies-the flies on demand

We discussed about the current status of the fruitfly cultures maintained by @saswathy679 at her home lab in Thrissur, Kerala and @Hinaiqbal_Mudgal too, at her home lab in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.

As they are having many bottles with as many flies in them, all of us suggested that they should start with the identification of the dead frutiflies in their bottles.
Even if they do not belong to a single line culture of flies, any random fly can be used just as a warm-up for identification.

Starting with the family identification and moving further on.
Yash, Aswathy , @Lydia and others please add to this and let us start with the identification procedure and its design!

Shedding some light on the slow-mo guys: Snails
As we were wrapping up, we came upon the Snails which are maintained by @Anjani from CUBE Elphinstone, Mumbai, in his home lab.
His collaborators Manasi Prasad, Nishmita Amin, Nikita Dhuri updated that one of his snails died.
How do we know that a Snail has died? It may be that the snail must be inactive or sleepy!

They said that a stench was coming from that snail.
Was that a result of any bacterial, fungal infection?

Zahra Risalawala said that she had read a paper (please share that!) where it was saying that the excess of salt can harm the Snails.
Is it?
What will happen if we take a mouthful of salt?
What happens when our fellow Earthworm is exposed to high salinity.
I have seen that the earthworm tries to move away from it.
It may shrink too.

Why?
Does dehydration take place?

​Nishmita Amin said that it is osmosis taking place.
What is osmosis? Do we really understand it?

We can simply start saying that because there is high salt concentration outside and low/normal salt concentration inside the body cells of the Earthworm, the salt will try to diffuse inside and in the process, it will dehydrate the Earthworm as more salt would be present inside which is harmful.

Why is it harmful?
Is it not a CONTEXT TO CURRICULUM question?

Let us solve it!

2 Likes

Which curricular questions are being addressed here? @drishtantmkawale Please like at them with an one line description.

3 Likes

Nematodes are generally found in soil , garbages, etc. So following the procedure of placing the soil sample on the periphery of 2% Agar surface and then adding the feed at the centre and thus isolating the nematodes is possible. But during the Lockdown some requirements such as :-

1. Dissecting Microscope.
  2. Agar .
  3. Petri Plates ,etc. Are not present at home. So the isolation and identification of the nematodes might be a problem. Even the foldscope would just show an organism like a nematode but it can’t be proved as the Characteristic features won’t be visible through it.
    I guess isolation or even culturing nematodes during a lockdown would be difficult at Home labs without the instruments or material mentioned above.
    I am still searching for alternatives that can be used to observe the nematodes and a culture/surface media that can be made at home instead of using agar . Will come up with some idea ! Others can also look for some ideas that can ensure the idea of culturing and identifying the Nematodes at our home labs. This would come up with a great result and create new alternatives for the species to work upon from Home Labs.
    @Anshu_kadam_2813 @Arunan @bivasnag @Bunny @Shivamkumar_Sriwas @Ritam007 @Garima_kalakoti @jaikishan @drishtantmkawale
4 Likes

I would like to contradict you @Kunal_Kadam.
You must be familiar with the current happenings in the CUBE Fruitfly Model Organism group.
We are doing fantastic work there. A home-made fruitfly medium has been devised (incomparison with the Standard Cornmeal Medium) to culture fruitflies at home and it is working incredibly well!

Why not we think of doing the same here?
I bet no one in the world must be doing things at home which CUBists do!!

Not even isolate, but can’t we just look for nematodes or even soil worms.
Dissecting Microscope is too sophisticated! Our phone camera shall do the trick.

Well, we can find alternatives for Agar! As the lockdown is easing now, we can make a search for agar alternatives and then start with it!
Agar, if we see is used as a solidifying agent or gelling agent (the lab one’s are too expensive!).

As mentioned earlier, the Fruitfly guys have found out Rava/Semolina/Suji as an alternative for agar.

Petri plates can be replaced by transparent lids or plates maybe.

Pinning Prof. Obaid Siddiqi’s Quote

"Sophistication should be in mind, not in lab"

3 Likes

@drishtantmkawale
Here you are comparing two Different Model Organisms !! They are different in Size , Characteristic and even feed and substrate . Keeping in mind the size of the single Adult Nematode is 1mm approx. The mobile phone cannot zoom in to that level as it does help in case of the drosophila as it is visible through the naked eyes too… Now talking about the isolation of the nematodes - the nematodes are found in soil , it is very tidious to islolate them from the soil.
The media on which we would place the soil should not get affected by the soil itself. And the media should not get affected by the bacterial feed too . If we compare the transferring of the nematodes from one media to another would be more tidious work to do… As in drosophila the bottle transfer is done by the drosophila otself by flying to the other Bottle.
Soo it’ll be little difficult to find an alternative but not impossible !!! If everyone put forth their views or thoughts on this !!! It’ll be easy , not that difficult to find alternative for all and start with nematode isolation at home!!!

@Anshu_kadam_2813 @Bunny @bivasnag @Arunan @jaikishan@ @Ritam007 @Garima_kalakoti

4 Likes

Combined summary of all the CUBists who gave a summary of 3rd June webinar…for all those who missed out the summary.

[03/06, 10:54 pm] Prathamesh:
Summary — CUBE Webinar , Wednesday 3rd of June, 2020
Today’s discussion was based on viruses. The discussion was started as I have raised the question that how the first person got infected with the dengue virus; i.e. if we search for the cycle of the dengue virus, it starts from an human who is infected by the dengue virus and when the aedes aegypti i.e. the species of mosquito which is capable to carry dengue virus bites that infected person , these mosquitoes carry these virus in their salivary glands and then it spreads to the other person. So like this the discussion started and then Ashutosh connected this dengue virus with currently spreading coronavirus and we further discussed on this topic , that how the first person of this covid would got infected with this virus . So Rahul gave me some informative clues about viral transmission and structure of virus. Saida and others also joined and discussed on the raised question . As virus contains a protein coat and inside it there is DNA or RNA present . So we thought that covid is because of bats and this virus has been mutated in the bats and at last it was cleared that the first person of covid eould be infected by the mutated virus in the bats as in china people sells and consumes the bat .
So we reached at that point of coronavirus and further this coronavirus is transmitted through human to human , but the question of dengue remained unsolved may be because I was not able to connect the links given by Arunan sir and Rahul or may be some another reason .
But then too, I will think and search on it, that how the first person got infected with this dengue virus.
We all should search about it and discuss on this question and put forward our thoughts.
:blush::blush:Thank you​:blush::blush:

[03/06, 11:48 pm] @khushdeep :
In today’s webinar, there was a discussion on the Corona Virus.
We were discussing that how did the virus got transferred from bats to humans?

My question here is,
Did they eat the bat raw or they cooked it?
If they would’ve cooked the bat, then the virus would’ve got killed there itself.

How did it transmit then?
@ Arunan Sir⁩ @drishtantmkawale @⁨Prathamesh Elph CUBE, Lydia, @KiranyadavR and others member…

[04/06, 12:34 am] Prathamesh:
Mutation is not a sudden change, it takes years to get mutate and so now it would be mutated at that level where it can replicate in humans and spread the disease
And another reason for it can be the dormant state of a virus i.e. to undergo dormancy until the specific conditions or suitable environment is available

[04/06, 10:13 am] @Hinaiqbal_Mudgal :
Last evening s ROOM WEBINAR discussion DT 3.06.20.
RAHUL PUT UP STRONG ASSERTIVE QUESTIONS…
How viruses who live in animals ,like bats, cats, or dogs, have started INFECTING HUMANS OR AFFECTING HUMANS
WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS INFECTING/ AFFECTING CHANGE ?
IS IT MUTATION?
CUBIST SAIDA MENTIONED RANDOM MUTATION,
HOW DID THIS VIRUS FIRST BECOME ACTIVE IN HUMANS.
TERMS LIKE DORMANCY, LYSOGENIC, RANDOM MUTATION WERE DISCUSSED…
IT WAS A STEAMING FLOW OF ANALYSTS, BIOLOGIST. WHO SHARED THEIR VIEW IN THE SUBJECT.
***INDEED SARS. COVID - 19, MERS, BIRD FLU, SWINE FLU ARE THEY VARIANTS??? MUTANTS??
WHAT HAS CAUSED THIS SPECIATION :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses: @ hina cube kanpur

[04/06, 11:03 am] @saida786110 :
Summary of yesterday’s discussion
@Prathamesh Suryavanshi questioned how does dengue spread in first human
and to answer that question @Aashu Sir tried to relate it with covid-19 how did that virus started affecting human? @Rahul kushwaha added this virus was in bats or some other mammals
Is it that one day decides to affect humans?
several cubist answer it to be mutation. mutation must have occurred in covid-19 virus such that the outer protein is transformed which helped the virus to get inside human cells
so in the case of covid-19 the virus was supposing in bats and it got muted and when came in contact with humans it started to affect humans. so earlier when humans were in contact with bats the protein of this virus was not mutated as such that it could affect humans. but then the question arose where did the mutation took place? probably in bats as the virus was living inside the bats cells but what happens in the case of dengue virus. because there mosquito is just a carrier. so is it that the virus would have remain dormant until human life? certainly not @Prathamesh Suryavanshi added that even monkeys were affected by dengue virus so that could be a possibility that this virus got mutated in monkeys and and with the help of mosquitoes got transmitted to humans and started affecting humans.
@ Arunan Sir⁩ connecting it to drosophila work done by cubist Lydia and @yash_sheregare. Lydia and Yash sheregare with several other cubist want to compare CsBz drosophila melanogaster cultured in labs for more than 60 years to drosophila melanogaster found in native.
Lydia added that they are looking at the olfaction of the flies and expecting different kinds of olfaction in CsBz flies. meaning flies with good olfaction moderate olfaction not so good olfaction where as in the nature they will find flies with good olfaction because of natural selection
@Hinaiqbal_Mudgal added that in CsBz flies which are cultured in lab for more than 60 years if mutation must have occurred in it, won’t be naturally selected because the environment in the bottle is such that the food is already present at all times so the flies with good olfaction will also survive and flies with weak olfaction will also survive

[04/06, 1:42 pm] @magpie :
Take away points w.r.t Context to Curriculum
Yesterday’s Causerie where Cubist Rahul Kushawa from Delhi steered the causerie with Suryavanshi ,Saida and other cubists on how did the first human get infected with dengue or Covid.

1. We are exposed to microbes all the time from animals birds around us just as humans they shed their virus through bites,droppings,feathers,animals sneezing, physical handling etc.
  2. We develop an infection when the virus/bacteria multiplies in our body.
  3. We develop a disease when the viral/bacterial multiplication is not controlled effectively by our immune system.
  4. To gain entry into our cells the pathogen has to cross the cell membrane. There are receptors on the membrane made of glycoproteins binding to which can help it to enter.
  5. The Covid 19 virus has a mutation in its spike protein which helps it fit snugly to the ACE 2 receptor protein, which helps it enter our cells easily.
  6. How do we know there has been a mutation by comparing genetic sequences with other viruses of Coronavirus family.

Causerie is moderated by Dr Arunan

2 Likes

Hello everyone :sun_behind_small_cloud:
4th June Webinar Summary

We had a deep discussion on the model system FRUITFLY.

A hypothesis was made at the very beginning which said that the standard CsBz flies (which are lab bred for the past 80 years) would have a deprived olfaction as compared to the flies present in the wild environment

Another hypothesis or statement was that the CsBz flies which are inside the bottle will have all sorts of sensitivity of olfaction i.e. low, moderate and high sensitivity of olfaction.
@Rahul CUBE TIFR thought of trapping those CUBists with this hypothesis into a bait (question) that he thought of.

The trap bait question was that “In a single line culture of flies belonging to a one single mother inside a bottle, what would be the outcome”
Will there be different sensitivities of olfaction?

@Hina Ma’am CUBE Kanpur wanted to help those who were in the trap by asking a question… “Do all the siblings belonging to a parent look alike”
So this question helped…
Some of our CUBists then gave an answer saying that there would be all kinds of olfaction (low, moderate & high).
The reason for such an answer was that the female gravid fly must have mated with a male…so variations are expected.

@Aashutosh Sir wanted to put forth one question in 2 different cases or in 2 different conditions.
2 out of 100 flies have good olfaction…what would be the condition or the percentage of flies having good olfaction after 100 generations? Will there be a difference?

1st case: Inside the bottle???
“After 100 generations, there won’t be much of a difference in the number of flies having good olfaction… because all are surviving in the bottle (as food is readily available) the ones with low olfaction, moderate olfaction…” was the answer of the people in the trap.

2nd case: In the wild environment???
After 100 generations, the ones having good olfaction will survive as they will be able to smell and reach the food while the ones with low olfaction won’t be able to reach the food and hence starve and die…the ones with low olfaction won’t die immediately but will die gradually.

We had @Suman sir with us.
He was not much familiar with all of this…and hence he asked questions which cleared some basic doubts that a common man would have…
What are single line cultures?
How to identify a gravid fly for making a single line culture?

The main important question by sir which is our objective of our research question
How can we say that the wild environment flies would have a better sensitivity olfaction than the flies that are being bred in a bottle for 80 years?!!
On what basis??
Here we had to explain the design of the experiment that we do to prove such a hypothesis.

Olfactory assay was explained by @yash_sheregare .
(Yash will give a summary of the design of the olfactometer that we had discussed yesterday.)

What are we actually finding out by doing this whole experiment thing?
(@Arunan Sir helped in building up the whole thing so that everyone could understand.)

We are finding out, that which is the lowest concentration of the banana essence chemical [(IAA: Iso amyl acetate) (used in the experimental olfactometer)] where maximum number of the CsBz larvae are not able to smell or get attracted to the attractant that is kept.

There are 2 scenes here that are being compared which connects to our hypothesis.

Scene 1:
The lowest concentration of the banana essence (10^-6 conc.) chemical which attracts CsBz larvae towards it and then after which (10^-7 conc.) maximum number of the larvae is not able to smell the attractant.

Scene 2:
The lowest concentration of the banana essence (10^-7) chemical where maximum number of the CsBz larvae is not able to smell the attractant but the wild environment larvae are able to smell much more lower concentration (10^-7, 10^-8 conc.)

The difference in the 2 scenes here is compared and hence such a hypothesis that,
Standard CsBz flies (which are lab bred for the past 80 years) would have a deprived olfaction as compared to the flies present in the wild environment.

I hope I’m making things clear. If not please ask. Because of our discussions and the doubts raised during the webinar help us in getting some of our concepts clear.

2 Likes

5th June Webinar Summary

We had a brief discussion on viruses, vaccines, bacteria and all.
@Saida Elph CUBE @Aashutosh Sir and others were taking part in the discussion
How do viruses enter?
What is the overall mechanism?
When there was a discussion that vaccines are used for treating viruses…we had Suma Swarajya from Arunachal Pradesh asking a question that
Why are we using only vaccines against viruses and not antibiotics?
Reply was
Antibiotics is used only for treating against bacteria and vaccines for viruses.
@Aashutosh Sir asked…why is it like that?
Reply from our CUBist was that bacteria has a cell wall and viruses just have a protein cell coat. And that antibiotics are used against the cell wall of the bacteria.

Again…why can’t an antibiotic be used against a protein coat of the virus?

Then we had to discuss what is a virus what is a bacteria.
How is it attacking the body?
Then how do we gain immunity against it?
How does the body recognise a virus previously attacked?
What are memory cells?
What are T cells, B cells?
How are these attacks being recorded or memorised in the body by the cells?
All these questions were asked by @Aashutosh Sir to build up the concept in everyone’s mind.

We had @Hina Ma’am CUBE Kanpur then joining us…
She explained about the innate immune, acquired immunity, herd immunity… different types of immunity.
Different types of antibodies?
Everything was explained by @Hina Ma’am CUBE Kanpur.

In this way we had this discussion about viruses, bacteria, immunization…

2 Likes

6th June Webinar summary

We had a great discussion on the topic circadian rhythm in fruit flies. We had almost 10-12 CUBists who had worked on circadian rhythm activity.
And by this activity, we got 2 peaks at some particular time.
We had a detailed discussion about the PER and the TIM genes and proteins involved in this circadian rhythm of fruit flies.
@Saida Elph CUBE gave a detailed explanation on what happens exactly or what is the mechanism of this rhythm!!?
What would happen if there would be mutations in these genes …and what would happen if there is no light?
Then how would this rhythm work?
We related the circadian rhythm of fruit flies with plants like cardamine, Phyllanthus…
@Saida Elph CUBE & all those who were there yesterday please elaborate and discuss on the questions mentioned above.

Then we moved on to @Hina Ma’am CUBE Kanpur ma’am and her news or updates of her fruit fly cultures.
She was surprised to see the larvae moving above the media and towards the cotton plug near the mouth of the bottle thinking that they are trying to escape…
But that was normal for some of us.
We had an experience of an abnormal behaviour of the larva and pupa in CUBE HBSCE.
We related this to the NS-PGeo flies… Native Single line - Positive Geotactic flies.
These flies as the name suggests had an abnormal behaviour where the larvae and pupae where in the media and near the media.
Here came the genetic drift where @deepika CUBE Bangalore started explaining this with examples.

@kavyahonnavad is having difficulty in identifying a fruit fly or distinguishing between a fruit fly and a house fly. @Drishtant gave a brief description of the distinguishing features between a fruit fly, butterfly, lion, house fly, moina.

Short summary by Abhijeet Singh: :point_down:
[8:48 am, 07/06/2020] @abhijeet singh :
Heyy everyone,
When I joined last there was the discussion going on between how does the pupa turns into fly. There was a discussion between Mayur bhaiya and Ashwathy and hina Ma’am on this topic and they came up with some amazing stuff like imaginal disc and all. And I think ashwathy has got some 1st generation flies from the pupae. So @Aswathy CUBE Thriprayar, Nattika and rest all working on drosophila model organism and can go further with this thing? More questions are be answered on development of flies from pupa. Did you started checking out how does this imaginal disc thing works? And how actually it forms.
We need an update on this topic as it is very interesting and important!!

2 Likes

Summary - 8th June 2020, CUBE Room Webinar

As usual😬, we started with the Fruitflies!
@Saida786110 from Mumbai shared about her latest experimental setup for the study of Circadian Rhythm (Activity Pattern) of Fruitflies in her home lab. She has kept a tomato bait like an attractant for the fruitflies and will be observing it at a two-hour interval.
What is the significance of studying the Activity Pattern of these mere flies?
Looking forward to getting photos and videos along with the data in a statistical manner!

Then, Hina Ma’am came up with her new findings. She had found pupae (from the single line culture) stuck on the cotton plug.
What can be done with that? We shall look forward to getting the exciting studies which can be done with the pupae with cotton as we had discussed it in the Webinar!
(I won’t unravel everything here :sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
And also, please share with us the cat conspiracy story which led to some wonderful identification!

Expect the unexpected!!
There is some interesting thing going on with the Moinas in my home lab.

My research objective is to study the colour change in the Moinas when placed in low oxygen conditions, but this thing which is happening right now is totally different and yesterday’s discussion has taught me and has yielded a lot!

There is a history behind this interesting thing!
But before that, I will give a short-call to what is happening right now.
I have two bottles A1 and A2 (500mL of dechlorinated water) which has around 60 Moinas as of now.
These bottles have greenish-coloured algae growing in them which I have been seeing since 28th May 2020.

I had transferred ~10 Moinas in both the bottles on 5th June 2020 in the afternoon (along with which I had made 5 control bottles having 500mL of DC water + ~10 Moinas + 2 drops of milk, this is also my stock culture of Moinas) and when I saw them in the evening, there were ~20 Moinas in both the bottles A1 and A2.
On this observation, I thought that the 10 Moinas which were transferred initially, were mature adults as well as gravid because of which they gave the progenies!

On the next day i.e. 6th June 2020, there were around 50 Moinas in both the bottles! (They got doubled in 24 hours!!)

This was interesting to me!
The control bottles had ~20 Moinas on 6th June 2020, when compared with their counterparts i.e. the bottles with algal growth, the former had ~50 Moinas in both the bottles in spite of both being prepared on the same day with the similar volume of water, with the same number of Moinas initially, just their feed being different!

Why this!!?
Again, I thought (assuming as previously) that as the initially transferred Moinas must be mature/about to give birth, I saw such numbers in A1 and A2.

Does algae enhance the growth of the crustaceans!!?

But hey, there is a twist in the story!
The history traces back to 18th May 2020.
I had prepared the culture medium in these two bottles Y1 and Y2 (now they are A1 and A2 respectively) with 500mL of dechlorinated water + ~10 Moinas and my idea was to feed them with live Yeast (in the form of granules, whose suspension was poured into the water).
Moina feed on bacteria, yeast, algae as well as decaying matter. So I thought why not give it (yeast) a try?
The timeline of these bottles: 18th May-~10 Moinas, 19th-~15, 20th-~5, 21st-0 Moinas.

Rahul Kushwaha questioned that was I not worried that the number decreased on the second day?
No, I thought that from ~5 Moinas, they shall increase further on, which didn’t happen.

So, I kept the bottles like that only, for a week. The actual stardom :face_with_hand_over_mouth::star_struck: of the bottles started to develop in the last week of May from 21st May to 28th May. I didn’t observe them much.

What caught my eye on 28th May 2020, is the greenish colour which was visible in both the bottles in the form of a reflection (I keep the bottles in the window side).
I suspected this greenish growth to be algae. To confirm this, I kept the bottles in the window and expected that the growth shall increase over the days and it did increase!
That means the bottles Y1 and Y2 (Y=Yeast) which are now A1 and A2 (A=Algae) respectively, had 500mL of DC water + algae growing in them all these days.

• I didn’t change the water of the bottles! It is the same.

So, coming back to the present, I transferred ~10 Moinas on 5th June 2020 and the rest we know.

Apart from the possible explanation which I gave for the sudden increase in the number of Moinas, the interesting thing which came out of this is, there must be a parallel phenomenon taking place after the death of Moinas.

What is it?
Dormant eggs!!

Normally, when there is a favourable condition in which everything is good, everything in the sense food, oxygen is adequate, the female Moinas reproduce asexually (parthenogenetically) where they give 8-12 direct/live progenies.
But in unfavourable conditions like less oxygen availability, food scarcity, toxicity or crowding, the Moinas changes it’s mode of reproduction to the sexual mode.

Here, the female Moina forms an unfertilized egg in its body, which is fertilized by the male Moina existing in the population. Upon fertilization, the pouch containing the two eggs (as a whole) gets detached from the female Moina. This pouch containing the dormant egg is called ephippia (singular: ephippium).

What happens to this dormant egg; ephippia?
On the onset of favourable conditions, these dormant eggs hatch and give out Moinas. Now, the Moinas that will come out can be both females, both males or one female one male because here, the chromosomes of both the parents are involved in the production of the offsprings.

Interesting! Isn’t it?
The lack of expectation from my side has led to such Alexandar Fleming kind of discovery!

But why do Moinas reproduce through the sexual mode of reproduction?
It consumes a lot of energy if we compare with asexual reproduction! Why then?
After multiple inputs from @Arunan, Dr Subhojit, @Hinaiqbal_Mudgal, Saida, Rahul Kushwaha, @KiranyadavR, @Lydia and @yash_sheregare we came to a conclusion.

First of all. we should not humanise this concept that the Moina thinks that it should change the mode of reproduction from asexual to sexual. It is the conditions which influence the change in the organism
As I said, they reproduce sexually in unfavourable conditions although it is energy as well as time-consuming, it facilitates the organism too.
As the unfavourable condition shall wipe out all the members of the population, the organism will try to save itself or at least its future generation from getting wiped out (I know this is contradictory to the statement which I mentioned a few lines above, but this is a simple explanation of why that happens).

As sexual reproduction involves two parents one male and the other female, the crossing over of chromosomes occurs. Crossing over can be defined as the recombination (coming together) of the homologous (similar) pair of genes when they come close. This recombination occurs in the Meiosis stage of the cell cycle.

Recombination leads to variations.
What variations?
The offsprings produced by sexual reproduction are different from their parents.
It will enable to organism to survive and adapt to the changing organism.
As said earlier, it will prevent complete extinction.

An excellent example was taken yesterday, that if a toxin is introduced in the culture, the Moinas which reproduce asexually will produce offsprings which are totally similar to them.
Why?
In asexual reproduction involves just a single parent, there is no chance of crossing over of the genes from the other parent because of which there is no variation. So, the whole population will be affected by the toxin and they might die.
On the contrary, the sexually reproducing Moinas will produce dormant eggs which shall settle down in the culture and is saved from the toxin!
The individuals who will come out from the eggs will be better adapted to their environment than others. Those individuals who are not well adapted to their environment are less likely to survive and reproduce.

This is how it went!
I know this is going too long…

Later, we again discussed the breaking news from Aswathy Suresh, Hina and Deepika.

Dr Subhojit Sen from CEBS, University of Mumbai, added a crucial point that CUBists are working on the identification of fruitflies, that is good, but what if we won’t get the desired result?
Are we going to discard what we have got?

We should not!
All closely related organisms have more or less the same mechanism of molecularity. If someone has done work on Drosophila melanogaster, we shall proceed on what we have got!
The same applies to the findings of @Manasi from Mahad, where she got some new species of snails other than what she has been working on!
Also, @Lydia sent some pictures and a video of tiny snails from her plant pots.

Everyone doing the same thing won’t result in anything new! We should hunt for new!

In the end, the discussion went on with Deepika Iyyangar from Bangalore telling us her research objective and inferences theoretically.

We are promoting homegrown science through our homegrown methods!

Everyone, please add to this and I encourage everyone to join the Webinar and contribute!!
Apologies for the extra-long summary!

5 Likes

A short summary by Deepika Iyyangar from Bangalore in our CUBE WhatsApp group:

Summary of discussion 08/06/2020
Our Long term objective was to test genetic drift in a population .here we would take a small population .
Genetic drift : The change in the relative frequency of Alleles say dominant or recessive observed in a small population .
Genetic drift occurs randomly by chance with sharp reduction in size of population.
In other words when the allele present in a population is not responsible for its change ( as genetic drift occurs randomly ) in frequency in a population then we say genetic drift has acted upon that population.
Yesterday we discussed on how to get alllele frequency of a population . The example taken is XbX , XbY for bar eyed drosophila mutant flies, XY , XX for wild type Drosophila flies .
If I take bottle A with 10 wild type flies and 10 bar eyed mutants.,and bred for 2 generations, the resulting progenies will have XbX , XbY , XX and XY which would be in the same frequency .say the no. If flies is 100 the frequency of
XY -25%
XX - 25%
XbX -25%
XbY -25%

And then if we randomly remove 10 flies from this bottle A n transfer to bottle B, then take 5 flies randomly from bottle A and transfer to bottle C.
Here in bottle A is the original population ( 100)
Bottle B with ( 10 flies) progeny flies - 100
The Allele frequency of the resulting progenies will be the same as observed in bottle A .
Bottle C with ( 5 flies )
Progeny flies- 50
The Allele frequency of the resulting progenies will have somewhat different proportions of the discussed phenotypes.

To quantify Allele frequency : we are seeing the phenotypes of bar eyed and phenotypes of wild type flies :
The wild type has a compound eye , the bar eyed will have a kidney shaped eye , if it’s homozygous it will result in a ultra bar eye with sickle shaped eye .
Since the flies are randomly picked from bottle A and transferred to Bottle B and C the phenotype observed in bottles B,C will have XX, XY,XbX , XbY , XbXb in its Population.
Again it’s by chance that we can observe a genetic drift in bottle C as it’s a small population started with 5 flies randomly picked from bottle A .
The drift here would be due to the reduction in population size ,that will in turn have either the dominant or recessive allele frequency more .or less in number.
That’s is reduction in population size will decrease the variation to be observed in a population.
Allele frequency : is the number of times a Allele is observed in a population.

I hope this is helpful to others in the group.

2 Likes

SUMMARIES OF 10th June 2020 by our CUBists in CUBE WhatsApp groups:

A short summary by @saswathy679 in our CUBE WhatsApp group:
":point_right: How to identify wing vein pattern of fruit flies in our Home Lab…?
Arunan sir suggested to what is in your hand that is maximum use to identify a wing vein pattern. If you have a phone to maximum try to get identify.

Subhojit sir suggested if we identified wings veins pattern we must be take sure well experienced persons that wing pattern which flies are they. Then we can easily to identified which family are they or which species also easily to identify."

A short summary by Deepika Iyyangar from Bangalore in our CUBE WhatsApp group:
"Summary of discussion
10/06/2020
Objective to identify the species of fruit flies in the trap bottle with Tomato pieces as bait having new generation flies was optimised.
Plan of work
To take the gravid female flies from the new generation flies and separately transfer them to different bottles with Tomato Rava Sugar Vinegar media.
This is done to get a single line culture of fruit flies to make identification of species easy.

Further discussion on
Allelic frequency, with a simple example
Bacteria A (survives at 32°c ) and Bacteria B (survives at 42°c) which have emerged from a common ancestor (bacteria)which survives at 32°c .
The progenies count ( Allele frequency) of bacteria B will be varied from the original ancestor, the bacteria A .
This is the variation in Allele frequency which can be observed in the population of bacteria A and B .
The evolution of species mainly depends on factors such as adaptation, population structure the size , the environment at which the organism survives.
Why Population Genetics is important? What is the concept of evolution in population genetics?"

2 Likes

Summary of 13th June 2020 by @KiranyadavR on CUBE WhatsApp group:

"Summary of Yesterday’s Cube chatshaala

Vedant from cube Elphinstone College joined us yesterday, he started discussing about Saida’s work of circadian rhythm in fruit flies, he decided that he’ll also start observing sleep wake cycle of fruit flies by inspiring of Saida’s efforts.

@ vedant please post your design of set up in order to study sleep wake pattern of fruit flies.

After that we discussed about C.elegans/soil nematodes, how to isolate or what’s the best method to isolate soil Nematodes at home by using boiled potato slice as medium and curd/milk as source of bacteria.
We also discussed how to identify soil nematodes??
We discussed a lot on this question but lots of doubts needs to be clear.

Design to isolate soil Nematodes was made by Anshu, its good that she tried but later on she concluded that the design that she made will have to be redesign as control was not included in her previous design.
@Anshu Ratnam CUBE has already posted her another Design of set up to isolate soil Nematodes using boiled potato slices in place of 2%agar medium.

Rafikh has been observing and recording koil(cuckoo) voice, and he had also shared how to record and how to analyse cuckoo voice just by using smartphones.
How well do we know our smartphones?

Drishtant had a breaking news that all the moina’s had died in algal culture medium, Dr. Arunan, zhara & Saida suggested to make a new culture bottle by taking water from algal culture medium and to add five moina’s in it and further observe the growth of Moina’s.

@Saida Elph CUBE @Anshu Ratnam CUBE @Manasi CUBE Snail @vedant @heena ma’am @ Ashwathy please give your input as well."

2 Likes

Summary of 15th June 2020 CUBE Chatshaala Webinar:

We started with @Arunima CUBE Kozhikode from SN College Kozhikode, Kerala.
She told about her cardamine culture…
We want @Arunima CUBE Kozhikode to post the summary of her work and her further plans.

We moved on to @Aswathy CUBE Thriprayar, Nattika from SN College Nattika, Kerala.
She gave a summary of her single line cultures that she is maintaining…and now posting pictures of her identification work.
@Aswathy CUBE Thriprayar, Nattika concluded that the flies belonging to the single lines do not belong to the family Drosophilidae.
But most of us weren’t convinced as there wasnt any picture clearly showing the veins of the wing…
@Aswathy CUBE Thriprayar, Nattika said that she can see just 1 break in the costal vein instead of 2 breaks in the costal vein of the wing of a Drosophilidae fly.

We need some reference pictures… whenever we post the picture of the wing of a fly we should post it along with the CsBz fly wing which will help us in giving evidences as well as convincing everyone…
Why so???
Because CsBz fly belongs to the Drosophilidae family…so we can have a comparison there.
I’ll be posting some reference pictures below…after the summary.

@Hina Ma’am CUBE Kanpur ma’am too added along with @Aswathy CUBE Thriprayar, Nattika. She too will be joining @Aswathy CUBE Thriprayar, Nattika in the identification work by simultaneously starting to identify the flies in her mixed culture bottles.
@Yash CUBE and others contributed to this discussion.

We had an old CUBist from Delhi… @Kanishka from Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi…she was earlier in Dyal Singh college, Delhi.
She contributed a lot with her experience on working with cardamine and the seed coat germination…she helped out @Nazish CUBE in the discussion…had a great discussion with her.

@Saida Elph CUBE then told about her work that she is doing…circadian rhythm of fruit flies.
The genes involved in the circadian rhythm of fruit flies and then related it with Phyllanthus plant.
There would be genes of the circadian rhythm or the biological in the Phyllanthus plant too…
@Lakshmy CUBE Kerala, @Mandar CUBE and others can look for it…

@Mandar CUBE from Ratnagiri gave updates about the Phyllanthus plant that he has in his home lab. Expecting him to proceed with its identification.

@Saida Elph CUBE also had a problem in differentiating between a larva and a pupa of a fruit fly as she is new to handling and culturing fruit flies.
@drishtantmkawale & @Yash CUBE helped her out by showing some basic differences in a larva and a pupa of a fruit fly…
A larva eats and is very active and moves around in the bait or the media…
But a pupa isn’t motile …it stays at one place itself…

This was a short summary.

Summary by @Kanishka (Kanishka Parishar from Delhi)
Thers was discussion over… Fruit fly single line culture and in related the media preparation. Exciting was knowing media preparation by people at home using rava, tomato, sugar…
Nd how to avoid contamination they thought to used acid (vinegar) so as to drop the pH.
Also there was discussion on seed germination rate… Of cardamine seeds… The method to organise setup. Discussion over factors which affect seed germination.
Next we discussed about kanamycin antibiotics how it will affect the seed growth. By floral dip method, the students are planning to introduce the gene and then study its role.

4 Likes

21st June 2020 Webinar Summaries

By @Kanishka (Kanishka Parishar from Delhi)
Summary of webinar on 21st June 2020
Aswathy talked about the work of flies culture, so as to find drosophilade family of flies out of mixed culture. They are preparing the single line culture of flies. She also told about the drosophila morphologies.
Yesterday, Lydia, Aswathy, & yash talked about the wing pattern of drosophila fruit fly, about coastal vein, incomplete coastal vein, and other many cell.

By Aswathy from CUBE SN College Nattika

SUMMARY OF CUBE WEBINAR 21 JUNE 2020
… be Continue

Yesterday webinar Started Arunan sir were asked about Wing Vein identification.we are talking about drosophildae family fruit flie wing pattern.
@Kiran Di CUBE and @Drishtant tell how to do presenting picture on webinar screen.
@Lydia @Yash CUBE was clearly tell about how can identified drosophildae family fruit flie wing pattern.
Major things :-
1.2Break of Costal Vein.
2.one incomplete anal cell.
3.small anal cell.
#@Lydia tell about the wing structure of flies looking for presentation above shown :point_up_2:. @Yash CUBE was also clear the position. And tell more detailed about it.

By Yash Sheregare from CUBE Mumbai
Yesterdays Causerie Summary and Further Interesting questions
21st June 2020
Identification of fruit fly
@aswathy yesterday was presenting a picture of a wing from her Single line culture (a culture of fruit flies that arised from a single mother)
We all are in search of family Drosophilidae
In her picture she clearly shows a few diagnostic features

1. 2 breaks in the costal vein (this was clearly visible)
  2. Incomplete subcostal vein (wasn’t seen as clearly)
  3. small Anal cell in wing
    But we got a burning discussion on what exactly is this subcostal vein?
    Where do we see this in Drosophila melanogaster fly?
    What is the meaning of an incomplete subcostal vein?

If Family Drosophilidae has a wing character that says it has an incomplete subcostal vein?
Then what are the other Families of fruit flies that come under Order diptera which may have a different character of the subcostal vein?
With the help of @Aswathy CUBE Thriprayar, Nattika picture, we all got to learn what is an anal cell in the wing?
As she had marked in here picture, an anal cell vein instead of anal cell
@Lydia a presented a picture from a reference that shows all the diagrams of the Wing veins and the cells in the vein.

By @Rechel_tirkey from CUBE Ranchi
Yesterday on 21/06/2020 , in CUBE webinar when I joined the discussion was going on fruitfly .
The Questions we discussed like how flies attract towards it’s Bait (Banana peel) , What attract them towards the banana peel , how they get taste and smell?
We discussed that the fruitflies attract towards the banana because of the fruity smell which come from banana because when banana start degrading , compounds which may be present in banana like Iso amayl acetate , ethyl alcohol diffuse in the air . This diffusion makes the gradient of concentration , means the concentration of smell will increase when flies come more near to the bait .
Also discussed about the sense organ flies and the larvae of flies use to sense the smell coming from banana ? What will happen if we change the taste of banana by adding quinine ( chemical which is odorless but bitter in taste ) , will they attract and feed on them or they learn not eat .

@Arunan Sir @Kiran Di CUBE @Yash CUBE @Drishtant @Lydia @Saida Elph CUBE @Aswathy CUBE Thriprayar, Nattika and others were in the discussion .

3 Likes