Invitation to LaTeX

Imp Details

To Register Fill this form

Date : Starting 6th July

Time : 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM

To join the session: Link

Facilitator: Dr Amit Dhakulkar (@damitr )

Schedule

Session Date Time
S1 Introduction 06th July 2020 5:30pm - 6:30pm
S2 Typesetting Mathematics 07th July 2020 5:30pm - 6:30pm
S3 Tables and Figures 08th July 2020 5:30pm - 6:30pm
S4 Referencing and citation 09th July 2020 5:30pm - 6:30pm
S5 Graphics 10th July 2020 5:30pm - 6:30pm

Introduction to LaTeX

LaTeX is a typesetting language which can create beautiful books, articles, reports, posters, presentations and brochures among other things. LaTeX is well designed to handle mathematical expressions and structure of documents. There are a large number of packages created to help with typesetting very specific requirements (http://ctan.org). LaTeX also comes with many fonts which are supported well mathematically (www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/), and it can also work with any fonts installed on your operating system.

We will explore the basics of creating documents with LaTeX in five sessions. Each session will end with exercises for the participants.

Session 1: Name of the game, structured documentation with LaTeX

This session will explore what is LaTeX and how one can create basic minimal document in terms of its structure.

Session 2: Typesetting mathematics

Typesetting mathematics is as easy as typing in LaTeX. We will look at typesetting various mathematical symbols, equations, and proofs in this session.

Session 3: Tables and Figures

LaTeX can beautifully typset tables and offers a variety of ways to include images in the document. We will explore basics of creating tables and including images in the document in this session.

Session 4: Referencing and citation

We will explore internal referencing in the document (for example, Figure 1, Table 23 etc.) and citation from books and papers (for example, (Knuth, 1993) etc.) in this session. We will also look at how to create bibliographies to be used with documents.

Session 5: Graphics with LaTeX

We will explore some excellent packages for drawing graphics that are part of the LaTeX system. We will also look at other programmes which can export graphics in LaTeX format which can be included in the document.

Requirements:

Please install LaTeX on your system before the sessions.

Recommended: Full installation (~3.5 G) of all the packages

There are several cross-platform editors available for working with LaTeX.

The following two editor are recommended for beginners:

• TexMaker (cross platform)
  • TexShop (MacOS X)

For bibliography management

Some examples of LaTeX and friends at work

https://www.tug.org/texshowcase/

http://nitens.org/taraborelli/latex

Recordings

Session Date Recording Attachment
S1 Introduction 06th July 2020 Link first-article.tex
S2 Typesetting Mathematics 07th July 2020 Link S-2.tex
S3 Tables and Figures 08th July 2020 Link S3.tex
S4 Referencing and citation 09th July 2020 Link S4.tex
S5 Graphics 10th July 2020 Link

Assignments

Session 1 Task

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 11.32.29 PM

Session 2 Task

Screenshot 2020-07-08 at 10.36.04 AM

Session 3 Task

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 10.48.37 AM

Session 4 Task

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 11.32.50 PM

8 Likes

Query:

The participant installed MikTeX console. For Texmaker, do one need to install Desktop msi installer for windows 7/8/10 64 bits or USB package for windows 7/8/10 64 bits on the Windows laptop?

3 Likes

If any of you do not have a working LaTeX installation on your machine, you can use https://tex.metastudio.org editor. If you like to use, please send me a message (privately) with your email. I will create an account.

3 Likes

Homework from Punit and I.
hw-20200706.pdf (122.0 KB) hw-20200706.tex (3.0 KB)

4 Likes

I could not upload my homework here. It gave a message “New user cannot upload an attachment”. Please could you point out what I need to do?

3 Likes

You see, we are on the communication platform called STEMGames.
I have highlighted Games specifically. Why?
If we tend to play any game, there are levels in the game most of the time. As we play the game further and further and we keep completing levels and we get in-game prizes and stuff like that.

So here too, it is a game. If we contribute to this site by posting, liking, editing, and reading (and much more discoveries), over time, our level will get upgraded and new features like getting badges, uploading docs will be unlocked.

So being able to upload photographs and videos is a feature lying in the next level.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know.

3 Likes

Hi @Geet

You can upload the file on any cloud service and share the link here.
Hope this helps.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Let us see if we can use LaTeX while writing a post.

Let us say we want to write a fraction: 1/2 and if you want them one below the other we write as \frac{1}{2}.

Let us say we want to write a fraction: $1/2$ and if you want them one below the other we write as $\frac{1}{2}$. 

Suppose we want 2^{-1}.

Suppose we want $2^{-1}$. 

This is how simple it is to write LaTeX on the platform.

3 Likes