Mosquitoes Mapping: Prediction & Prevention of Mosquito borne diseases

BEWARE of MOSQUITO breeding sites in the Rainy season …it may be culex/ aedes…prevention is better than cure…:earth_asia::earth_asia:

4 Likes

How can we identify whether the mosquito :mosquito: is culex or anopheles or some other?

1 Like

Could there be a way to monitor mosquito populations similar to say - pollution or air quality?

Patterns over time could lead to useful insights. I wonder if BMC has any existing monitoring system.

2 Likes

with the stripes on the body of the mosquito if there is a lyre like structure on the thorax region it is a aedes mosquito
if the mosquito sits on 45 degree it anopheles mosquito
culex mosquito is basically plain brownish mosquito

1 Like

Adding to the mosquito classification.
There are ways to identify some medically important mosquito species based on adults, larvae and eggs too. As @rahil.bhai_007 posts, the resting position of mosquitoes is also a clue to their identification. I will elaborate further on this (Adult identification):
Resting means the mosquito is touching the surface with its legs. The position of the abdomen is what differentiates the broad genera.

Anopheles: Sit at an angle to the surface, that is their abdomen is at an angle of ca. 45 degrees to the resting surface.
Aedes and Culex species both rest parallel to the surface. To further identify if the mosquito belongs to Aedes or Culex, we should look at the mosquito legs. In the Aedes genus, legs have a pattern of white stripes, while the same is absent in Culex.

This guide CDC (Center for Disease Control and prevention) gives clear keys for identification.

2 Likes

Few days back I waited at 8 pm in wane to hear a talk about mosquitoes. US has an hare brained scheme to control mosquitoes with GM mosquitoes. Mosquitoes have recently formed swarm tornadoes in Russia!
Can mosquitoes be attracted and killed using pheromones; like for mango fruitfly? I think chemical signalling is difficult. We can use Acoustics to Attract and Kill mosquitoes. Let us discuss. Await your opinion.

attract-and-kill_mosquitoes.pdf