Phyllanthus: Massage Me Not plant

Phyllanthus closes its leaves when touched continously for sometime.

This means it is not as sensitive as touch me not plant mimosa.

Can anyone explain why ?

Can we convert Phyllanthus into Mimosa like, behaving plant which closes its leaves by just gentle touching?

3 Likes

Does Mimosa follow circadian rhythm as Phyllanthus?

3 Likes

Why not confirm this? Pls check for mimosa or Phyllanthus around you, and send some pictures.

Mimosa follow both circadian and touch response this have been shown by @04872621705 of cube nattika @jaikishan @Rohan I will share her results and we will collaborate with her soon

1 Like

Interesting question Jai!

how do Mimosa or Phyllanthus ā€˜feelā€™ the touch sensation? and what makes phyllanthus react slowly compared to mimosa?

And as an evolutionary biologist if we can ask the ā€œwhyā€ question! Why? Phyllanthus and Mimosa differ in these mechanosensation ?

2 Likes

But do phyllantus feel the sensation of touch? That we need to understand @Abhishek_Cube

1 Like

You touch Mimosa and it senses it to close leaf. Isnā€™t it ā€œfeelingā€ touch @bivasnag ?

(Phyllanthus too as reported by Jai)

Have you asked jai for the reference @Abhishek_Cube I agree for Mimosa but not for phyllantus

I havenā€™t seen Phyllantus responding to touch please give reference for your statement @jaikishan

why dont you massage Phyllanthus yourself @bivasnag to see the evidenceā€¦

True, these are most important questions, also any other plants from their families behave the same?

In that case these mechanisms will be evolutionarily conserved.

do you think their will be difference in threshold level of activation to conduct signals between mimosa and phyllanthus?

How do we connect it with action potential? Something similar to nerve conduction or conduction of electriciy?

What do you mean by massaging plants @jaikishan can we talk a little bit scientific terms like are you referring to stress

Is it a phyllanthus plant???

N even this??? I am confusedā€¦

https://www.google.com/search?q=Phyllanthus&client=firefox-b-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=oM8LFinRYxvgEM%253A%252Cpanu_aEgEtf5oM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kR2FHELN-35o3CcxSTxmn-a9P5KfQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjGh8OfgpnkAhWhILcAHWrSAvEQ_h0wFnoECAoQCw#imgrc=oM8LFinRYxvgEM:
Take a look at this!

Being one of the folks who didnā€™t believe until I ā€œmassagedā€ the leaves I can attempt description.
First of all the phyllanthus leaf did not respond to light brushing like mimosa does.
These are the 2 methods that I used.

1. Lightly pinch the base of a leaf and draw the fingers up along the central vein. Be careful not to put to much pressure, else the leaflets will pop off. Do this about 10 times.
  2. lightly flick the leaf (The same movement as flicking a carrom striker). After about 10-15 flicks we noticed the leaflets had closed.
    The effect was very very localised, most of the time, on the leaf that was being ā€œmassagedā€ was affected.
1 Like

can you send us any video of it doing itā€¦ @VirenVaz

Its interesting if something like that happens, we need to find out the real cause behind because we only came up with this in only one phyllantus species that is phyllantus urinariaā€¦ But its good you reportedā€¦ we will try to find out more on it and we can then discuss the logical reasoning here after that

1 Like

Are there flowers and fruits below each leaf in those plants. This is one of the characters of Phyllanthus.
Please confirm.

How about trying to follow same procedure with more replicates and with different species of Phyllanthus? @bivasnag this will surely verify whether Phyllanthus leaves have sensation for touch?

What do you mean by Phyllanthus urinaria shows this phenomenon? Is it well documented?
How does it happen? What all things are needed for plant to have this phenomenon?
Similarly what is the mechanism by which mimosa closes its leaves?

No, there are nothing sort of flower or fruits below each leaf, I think I was mistaken because of the leaf structure similar to what I saw in phyllanthus at cube hbcse

1 Like