Moina : a model system

No, not any particular bacteria but lactobacilli are present in majority after adding milk.

Why wouldn’t the bacteria will grow after addition of milk?

They will surely, no doubt, but what I also asked is

What’s your answer to this?

2 Likes

If this is the case why don’t you try putting some moina in a bottle having algae culture and a bottle in which you will provide milk :baby_bottle: and see in which bottle there is more growth of moinas? @drishtantmkawale

What are your views on this? In which bottle will there be more growth of moinas and why❓

2 Likes

Actually I saw @jaikishan’s moina tank where he used to put 5drops of milk and his moinas were still surviving and there was increase in number (at first he had put 10moinas and after 2 days there were more than 50 60 moinas… So according to it the moinas were growing in 5 drops :sweat_drops: of milk :baby_bottle: so even I had put 5 drops…

At present I don’t know exactly how the population will be growing in such conditions and also the exact process behind turning into a sexual breed as u too mentioned @bivasnag. I’ll try finding them out :outbox_tray:and you too please share if you get it.

2 Likes

@Sjuday2527

I think I’ve answered this.

Yeah, that’s a good idea. I’ll try it for sure and share its details.

1 Like

Today @Sjuday2527

and I made 2 moina cup cultures and a 5L tank culture at CUBE HBCSE, Mumbai
Cup cultures were made due to unavailability of 1L bottles and the moinas in previously made Tank culture had died.

Objective: To culture moinas

For Cup Culture:
200ml of DC water + 5 colourless moinas + 1 drop of milk.

Expectations: 5-10 moinas

For tank culture : 5L of DC water + 10 - 15 moinas + 5 drops of milk.

Expectations: 15-25 moinas.

1 Like

@Ameya pawar explaining his topic on male sex determination in moina

4 Likes

Cube RJ
Moina group
Date:03/09/19
~Studied the genesis in Moina & cultured moina (2 bottles)
And how we culture them.
So basically we studied how under adverse condition(lack of oxygen) Moina in the fresh water induced by hypoxia, leading pale normoxic animals a visible red color when challenged by oxygen deprivation. Like how they respond when they are suspended with no sufficient oxygen
So what they do is they secrete haemoglobin and produce red colour
So indirectly changing their gene activity
To sustain the changes in the environment
#(Moina is culture by taking 250ml of water and adding 2 drops of milk which contain lactose than add 5drops of moina…after some hours we can see more amount of moina culture)
So we can have Moina in any water body
Even in durty water
Process of making dc water-
So we just have to collect it than
We have to set a setup in which we take some water in any container and than cover it for sometimes so as to distill it

Than transfer the Moina according to water content
And add some drops of milk just to examin their response but Not so much
Because high quantity can be lethal.

2 Likes

@Ameya and other cubists from RJ college and LU and MV college sharing their views on Epigenetics and reproduction in Moinas.

4 Likes

How can i culture only red moina

1 Like

While showing the Moina model system to the guests, @Nagarjuna sir posed a wonderful question that if he gives us one moina in a bottle, in how many days we can expect 1 Billion Moinas (:100: crore)? We’ll try to answer this!!

5 Likes

Moina grp giving causerie.
September workshop day 2

5 Likes

Moina grp causerie on how does meiosis occur and co relating it to how does parthenogenesis occur in moina … @Ameya please tell us about today’s causerie in brief.

6 Likes

@Jyotiraditya Kamble
RJ college.
Moina group
Date:03/09/19
Studied the epigenesis in moina and how to culture them.
So basically we are going to study about how under adverse condition or stress full condition the hypoxic moina [red moina] survive to normoxic [normal] condition and also changing in colour from red colour to colourless, and under normal condition changes from colourless moina to red colour moina
So culturing of moina in normal condition is done in container by taking 250ml dc water and adding 2 drops of milk and than 5 moina culture and also we can conclude more than 5 moina culture its depends on us, so after some days we can able to see more quantity of moina culture.
And for hypoxic condition is done by adding 6 drop of moina culture in container containing 250ml dc water and some amount of moina culture.
So probably moina can grow in any water bodies where they can get bacteria for feed and low concentration level of oxygen.
Further we would study what is moina.
MOINA:
Moinas are crustaceans often referred as water fleas and is very much similar looking with DAPHNIA. Moinas are approximately half the size of Daphnia .
Adult moinas are around 700-1000 microns in length while the young ones are less than 400microns(http://agrilife.org/fisheries/files/2013/09/Culture-Techniques-of-Moina-The-Ideal-Daphnia-for-Feeding-Freshwater-Fish-Fry1.pdf)
Moina appear in high numbers in pools, ponds, lakes, ditches, slow-moving streams, and swamps where organic material is decomposing. They become especially abundant in temporary water bodies, which provide them with suitable conditions for only a brief period.
Moina are generally quite tolerant of poor water quality. They live in water where the amount of dissolved oxygen varies from almost zero to supersaturation. Moina are particularly resistant to changes in the oxygen concentration and often reproduce in large quantities in water bodies strongly polluted with sewage(source :- provided above).
Moina feed on various groups of bacteria, yeast, phytoplankton, and detritus (decaying organic matter). Bacterial and fungal cells rank high in food value. Populations of Moina grow most rapidly in the presence of adequate amounts of bacterial and yeast cells as well as phytoplankton.

5 Likes

What is their life span?

Organic material like?

You cannot say any water body!
These are freshwater organisms.

What size of Moina have you observed?

Do you have any reference paper comparing Daphnia and Moina or their size as such?

Do you have a culture of Moinas?
If yes, then what is your expectations for the next day?

Keep posting your updates!!:v::pray:

4 Likes

Good questions to involve everyone @drishtantmkawale :clap::clap::clap:keep it up and keep going the same

2 Likes

But how do they come in temporary water bodies? Are they introduced by someone in those bodies or are they are already present in those too? What exactly do you mean by temporary water bodies? Is a pagalopos well too a temporary water body?

Which bacteria particularly? Can we get a good reference paper to know on exactly which bacteria does it feed on ? What do you think ,will it’s number be more in the bottle having bacteria or in the bottle having yeast cells? Don’t you think this experimental design could be set up easily and thus conclude the results.

2 Likes

CUBE HBCSE,Mumbai
MOINA GROUP
@Sjuday2527,@drishtantmkawale

Objective :To culture moinas as of now and later to study them (future reference)

Todays plan to prepare two 5 l moina tank cultures along with three bollte cultures
Ps : adding 5-10 moinas in tank & 5-10 moinas in bottle

Update for previously prepared tank culture :-
Moinas are growing, it was previously 5 now its around 20 moinas

4 Likes

A video of the previously prepared tank culture.

5 Likes