An Experiment on 'Electrolysis of Water'-using things available at home

Hello Everyone. Yesterday, I got homework from my teacher and the homework was to do an experiment on ‘Electrolysis of Water’-using things available at home…

Things required–
1. One Tablespoon full of Salt
2. One Glass of Water
3. One 9V battery

Steps to do the Experiment–

Step 1- Take One tablespoon full of Salt and dissolve it into the Glass of Water.
Step 2- Keep the 9V Battery into the Glass of Salty Water.
Step 3- Wait for sometime and observe the results.

Here’s the video in which I have explained that how to do the Experiment and I have also shared the results.:point_down::point_down:
An experiment on ‘Electrolysis of Water’

Results– So we observed that when we keep the 9V Battery in the Glass of Salty Water, Bubbles start coming out from both the terminals of the Battery. But more bubbles come out from Negative terminal which are of Hydrogen and less bubbles come out from Positive terminal which are of Oxygen.

Thank you

7 Likes

Nice and simple experiment.
How can we test if the has collected is Hydrogen?

6 Likes

It has Hydrogen , Because Water is Made of Oxygen And Hydrogen . And There Cant Be that Hydrogen Is not coming Because Passing Current Seperates Oxygen And Hydrogen .

4 Likes

Do not insert the battery into the electrolyte. As the first step it is ok with a 9V battery.

Connect two wires to the + and - ve points on the battery and dip the other two ends in the electrolyte. That way, you can separate the two electrodes, and collect the two gases into two bottles. My guess is that hydrogen volume will be double of oxygen volume. Why?

I think standard connectors for 9 V batteries are available.

3 Likes

Ankit:

But more bubbles come out from Negative terminal which are of Hydrogen and less bubbles come out from Positive

Good observation. Keep it up! It supports my guess.

3 Likes