Archives of CUBE Context 2 Curriculum what’s app group discussion of the Month of October 2021

20th October 9.30 pm to 21st October 9.30pm

21st October 9.30pm to 22nd October 9.30pm

Do ants drink milk to feed their babies?
[2:15 PM, 10/21/2021] +9110272: Or they like lactose present in milk??..
[2:15 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 10272: What’s the correct statement?
Can you send the reference??? Where did you get this??? @Anchal Dhanda :innocent:
[2:20 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 10272: From Google
[2:21 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 10272: I have read an article.

I guess this is the reference @Anchal Dhanda :innocent: has referred to

As you may have already aware, the universally hated termites began cultivating fungal-crops millions of years before humans existed. However, we humans also raised livestock and we can herd large groups of animals. No insect can do that, right? Well, maybe, but some ant species have cared for certain insect species that produce food for them. Much like how humans milk cows, ants can milk a particular caterpillar species in order to obtain a nutritious beverage.
Yes this is…
Ya but here they have not mentioned any specific species of ants or caterpillar
[2:31 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 10272: That’s my doubt actually
[2:31 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 10272: I wanna clarify
Same here
:+1:t2:
[2:55 PM, 10/21/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: This process quite similar to the ants -mealybug interaction, i think :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
What i understand from the article
The ants raise the catterpillar, which feeds the ants with sugar, like honeydew,
It’s like we humans raise cows to get milk.
I don’t know ants drink milk to feed their babies. :face_with_monocle:@Anchal Dhanda :innocent:
[2:55 PM, 10/21/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: @Smiti Gupta and @Anchal Dhanda :innocent:
[2:56 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 10272: So finally this statement is correct…I think :thinking:
[3:20 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 10272: @Smiti Gupta because of lactose…ants get attracted towards milk.
What is good or bad about this reference? @Smiti Gupta @Anchal Dhanda :innocent: @Seethalakshmy CUBE
Please give essential description with dates, objective along with photos.
What do you mean by habituation? Any references?
In any references to show that Grey Pansy butterflies do not use Petunia as egg laying host plant?
Which are their host plants?
[4:17 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 94875: Ya but I don’t think that they (ants) drink milk to feed their babies because the queen any already has natural milk produce by breaking down the tissues of her own body, what do you think @Anchal Dhanda :innocent:
[4:18 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 94875: You can also see that in this video

[4:22 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 94875: Sir the reference has interesting information and that’s really good but they have not mentioned the name of particular species like the specific species of ants or caterpillar so it’s a minus point
Can we trust the claims if there are no cross- references cited? No Citations to double check? Can some one’s opinion be scientific statements?
@Arunan HBSCE @Smiti Gupta @Seethalakshmy CUBE I think we shouldn’t believe on that article…

[5:09 PM, 10/21/2021] +91 10272: I am confused about lactose firstly…according to this article…not all species of ant can drink milk…
[5:09 PM, 10/21/2021] +91272: Hm…
Ya you’re right @Anchal Dhanda :innocent: actually if u notice the site does has any reference we can cross check with or any information from where they got to know about it so ya we shouldn’t believe it
Woww…Eggs laid on both leaves and stem …what is today’s update on this eggs ?
Does that mean the chili pepper pĺant and violet wild petunia have something in common ???:thinking:
Please join CUBE Chatshaala and let’s discuss. @Krishna Cube Nattika Butterfly

VIDOE SHARED BY SMITI AT 7.47 PM

Blue tiger Butterfly Spotted on Crotalaria plant Date :21/10/21 Time :5:01 pm Location: Bharathidasan university Krishna CUBE SN Nattika
Plain Tiger Butterfly on Crotalaria plant The body is black with many white spots. The abdomen is yellowish above, whitish yellow. The wings are tawny the upper side being brighter and richer than the underside. https://indiabiodiversity.org/species/show/256512
Date : 21/10/21
Time : 4 :55 pm
Krishna CUBE SN Nattika**
In this picture, I could observed butterfly sitting on Tridax plant.@Krishna Cube Nattika Butterfly
Actually many plants are closely growing in this area .In this current photo it is on crotalaria plant only…but the butterfly was spotted also on tridax

VIDEO SHARED BY AARUSHI AT 12.55AM
Giant African snail, named Eddy, day 6 of observing response to the touch of a grassblade on the left tentacle, to study how long it might take to habituate the snail to the stimulus, both long term and short term, long term being one day, and short term being 10 minutes. I clean the box every three days, they defecate once a day, I have been feeding it a slice or two of cucumbers, and today I switched it a little, I put lettuce leaves. Further the experiment will focus of repeating the experiment with small snails of the same species, to test and see if they get habituated faster or slower than the big snail, it would be interesting to see how age can affect learning. Location - Vashi, Navi Mumbai, Collector - Aarushi Chitkara, this is the first reading
Observations -
the snail seemed to like lettuce
the snail was reacted to the smell of a lettuce leaf
They milk the caterpillar for honeydew which is sugar …the adult ants require sugars for energy whereas the larvae mainly need protein (insects , etc) to grow …
What is long term and short term memory ?and you are saying long term memory 1day how do you estimate that in your snails ?
Intresting @Krishna Cube Nattika Butterfly You are spotting Ctotalatia like Blue Tiger🤣 Is their any connection between Plain Tiger and Blue Tiger? Why are both in Ctotalaria? Are these two butterflies of the same Genus?

What do they use Ctotalaria for? @Krishna Cube Nattika Butterfly
What exactly do you mean by long term being one day?
Do you go on touching the tentacle for a whole day?:face_with_monocle::upside_down_face:

How do we describe Long term Habituation? @Aarushi Chitkara @Ashritha patta✨ @Manasi CUBE @Janhvi Deshmukh @Aastha Ahuja Cube and others

What exactly is habituation?
Was there any particular reason to change the food? @Aarushi Chitkara
Any reference to the preferred feed for the Giant African Snail in Lab conditions, from published studies? @Aarushi Chitkara @Saida Sayyed
I think by that she means like if it stopped retracting tentacles in the morning when touched for 10-15 times …even when she goes and touches it’s tentacles in the evening …provided we give the same stimuli it should still not retract
How do larvae or any other organisms get energy from proteins?:face_with_monocle: @Maswood CUBE
Also when we define habituation we can just say that the snail learns that it need not retract the tentacles after we are touching it several times because it is just touching it but not causing any harm …so this learning is what we are defining as habituation … @Arunan HBSCE
Interesting! @Ashritha patta✨ @Aarushi Chitkara What is the biological mechanism by which such long term memory is created?
How does the animal loose the sensitivity to touch? @Ashritha patta✨
Yes sir in Kerala when i spotted crotalaria plant in two places
1.My home garden
2. Primary School in Mullassery
The butterflies i saw was blue tiger and Common crow
This was Spotted in my University campus in Trichy Tamilnadu
The butterflies seen here on crotalaria plant was Blue tiger and Plain Tiger
Any reference to convince us from published article? @Krishna Cube Nattika Butterfly
Biologically in snails it was seen that RNA was actually playing a great role in recording memories …there was a similar experiment conducted on species of Aplysia Californica and it was seen that when RNA of some snails which were sensitized to a stimuli ( instead of regular withdrawal they showed a contraction mechanism ) was removed and placed in some other snails which weren’t sensitized …these new snails still exhibited that enhanced response which gave an insight into the fact that RNA is holding the memory of this sensitization.

This was an interesting experiment I came across which also gave insight into the possibility of memory transplantation …

RNA Moves a Memory From One Snail to Another | The Scientist Magazine®.

This is the reference …It’s a very interesting experiment.

Mango tree : 1
𝗦𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 in September :star_struck:
Flowering is observed in many branches of the mango tree.
Date: 6/9/2021.
Time: 12:23pm.
Temperature : 29°C/24°C
Latitude : 10.419129.
Longitude : 76.1522749.
Data collector: Seethalakshmi
What exactly do we understand from this? @Ashritha patta✨ @Aastha Ahuja Cube
Concluding points would be -

The long term or short term learnings are stored in the RNA, ( mostly the non coding RNA )and they help the snail with learning and memory …

The memory is not stored in the synapses because even after synapses were removed the snail was showing a response .
Interesting. Please explain the last para, a bit more clearly, with example. @Ashritha patta✨
Larvae need protein for growth …
[1:30 PM, 10/22/2021] +91 15812: Yes, long term for my hypothesis is one day, habituating the snail enough so that, it stop reacting to the touch of a grassblade in a gap of 24 hours, that would be long term
[1:30 PM, 10/22/2021] +91 15812: No, after a day
[1:31 PM, 10/22/2021] +91 15812: I was feeding the snail cucumber, but I tried lettuce one day, and I realised they like it better
[1:33 PM, 10/22/2021] +9 15812: How do you remove synapses?
Can you explain your experiment a bit it’s confusing that how long do you touch the tentacle to make the snail learn the touch ? And then how you check that they have learned what you wanted them to learn ?

And what if we repeat this experiment for 30 days or long then will the snail learn to not to respond to touch for more longer time than 1 day ?
I mean …by blocking the pre axonal end or post dendritic receptors

This is the work which laid the foundation before David glanzman tried sensitization in Aplysia snails …
Everything is clearly explained in detail about a case observed in PTSD patients while administering a drug called propranolol to cure PTSD …

And memory reconsolidation after trauma and trigger
@Arunan HBSCE @Aarushi Chitkara
Conclusion:

So this states that when the drug propranolol is given to the snail or human …it basically seems to block the synaptic connection … So they thought that drug was actually blocking the protein required for long term memory storage …but later when they gave the shocks the snail could regain the memory which is lost that confirmed …it only blocked the synaptic connection and not the protein related to memories @Arunan HBSCE @Aarushi Chitkara
Interesting
That means that shock caused the drug to be removed from the receptor where it was bound ? But how shock did that , did it break the drug / break the bond between the receptor and drug ? If only the bond was broken then it could have formed again right ?
I think the next stimulus which was consistent and more intense could overcome the block caused by the drug
[2:52 PM, 10/22/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Does protein degradation give rise to energy? How?@Maswood CUBE
[3:01 PM, 10/22/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Please write full sentences. These are difficult concepts to understand, unless explained clearly.

Do you mean to say that for long term habituation, one has to go on touching tentacle for a full day, so that it takes that long time to stop retracting? @Aarushi Chitkara Any idea, how long this insensitiveness of the tentacle to touch, will last?
[3:03 PM, 10/22/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Great. :innocent: Please post photos of eating snails. @Aarushi Chitkara
[3:06 PM, 10/22/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Can we have a simple diagram of a circuit for tentacular retraction on touch? @Ashritha patta✨ @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Manasi CUBE @Anjani Kumar Kashyap CUBE
What does the following passage mean? @Ashritha patta✨
Eric R. Kandel, a neuroscientist at Columbia University and recipient of the 2000 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his work on memory, cautions that the study’s results were observed in the first 48 hours after treatment, a time when consolidation is still sensitive.
What do we understand from this?
Can we draw a simple diagram of a circuit for tentacular withdrawal? @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Aarushi Chitkara @Ashritha patta✨
Sir there is common crow here but i havnt spotted it on Crotalaria plant yesterday while observing
[3:26 PM, 10/22/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Do we get energy from roti or rice?
Do we get energy from proteins too? @Smiti Gupta @Aastha Ahuja Cube What is the difference?
[3:30 PM, 10/22/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What is the Long term objective of @Smiti Gupta Have we discussed that yesterday?
Could it be developing cultures of Drosophila melanogaster from Smiti’s CUBE HomeLab Bandra, Mumbai? @Smiti Gupta @CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube
[3:33 PM, 10/22/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Any suggestions about possible candidate proteins, in this process? @Ashritha patta✨
[3:36 PM, 10/22/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Please give some relevant references @Krishna Cube Nattika Butterfly and please build up your case, again more clearly.

Cubist had started studying about epidemics way back in 2017
Even before pandemic tip toed in the world :earth_africa::earth_americas:
:small_blue_diamond:Date:
:small_blue_diamond:Place:
:small_blue_diamond:No. of people coughing:
:small_blue_diamond:No. of people sneezing:
:small_blue_diamond:No.of people with malaria :
:small_blue_diamond:No.of people with dengue :
:small_blue_diamond:Submitted by: Name, Location

VIDEO SHARED BY SMITI AT 8.03 PM

Even if RNA which is transferring memory is not coding for a protein but regulating the genes it is still going to be some gene switched on and protein being synthesized which strengthens the synapse.One objection to RNA storing memory expt is that results are instantaneous whereas RNA would take from minutes to hours to cause changes.@Ashritha patta✨

Phyllanthus species, likely to be Phyllanthus amarus 17 October 2021, at Sophia CUBE HomeLab, B Desai Road, South Mumbai. Photo: mcarunan

Oxalis triangularis
Yes mam
[8:57 PM, 10/22/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Any authentic reference?
[9:44 PM, 10/22/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What a great data set of @Theertha CUBE and @Lakshmy PJ CUBE to get an entry point in understanding Biostatistics from Phyllanthus leaf angle measurement @Sunita Chahar CUBE @CUBE
Let’s follow-up.

Why @Sunita Chahar CUBE never got exactly 90 Degree angle of her Phyllanthus plant leaf angle? @Abhigyan Ray @Jai Kishan CUBE @DP HBCSE
So the experiment is wrong ?? Or lacks somewhere??? I didn’t quite get it

1 Like

22nd October 9.30pm to 23rd October 9.30 pm
The Connection between plain tiger and Blue tiger is that they belong to the same sub family Danainae- The Milkweed Family
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/#!/tx/20-Danainae

These two butterflies have 3 plants in common as their Larval host plant

1. Asclepias curassavica
  2. Calotropis gigantea
  3. Calotropis procera
    Welcome to the Butterflies of India website! | Butterfly
    Welcome to the Butterflies of India website! | Butterfly
    @Ashritha patta✨ I have simply given arguments against the findings please discuss on them there is no wrong and right in it
    How about the host plants of Blue Tiger and Plain Tiger and their capacity to deter predators?
    Are there some mimics who are non-toxic, but still escape predators?

Please give us some interesting story and research questions, for all to get involved @Krishna Cube Nattika Butterfly @Vishnupriya CUBE @Seethalakshmy CUBE

VIDEO SHARED BY NAVALEEN AT 10.50 AM

Please help with identification navaneel Sarangi 23.10.21 Raichak West Bengal

Yesterday we have interesting discussion on phyllanthus
Phyllanthus give a context to understand biostatistics. :straight_ruler::memo:
Theertha from cube Providence College kozhikode collected the leaf opening and closing of phyllanthus at different time intervals. ( Leaf angle titration) :triangular_ruler:
She could observe that from 7- 3pm the the angle is between 90-97°
After that 4pm- 6pm the angle constantly reducing and finally at 6:15 the angle become 0°
We ploted the data of one day and try to analyse data with help of biostatistics.

Even though we study biostatistics in our curriculum but we dont know much where exactly to apply it like mean, median, mode,standard deviation and all…

Here we got a great opportunity to understand biostatistics from the basics!!! :slightly_smiling_face:
@CUBE @Abhijeet Singh @Aditiya Joshi CUBE @Anchal Dhanda :innocent: @Arunan HBSCE @Arunima SN Nattika Cardamine @Aswathy Suresh CUBE @Dr. Binumol SN Nattika @P. Chitralekha Cube JNU @Sunita Chahar CUBE @Khan Shaheen @Janhvi Deshmukh and others
[1:34 PM, 10/23/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Please post close up photos of the plant and also of the Butterflies @Navaneel CUBE What exactly are they doing on the plant?
[1:35 PM, 10/23/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What is your guess? @Navaneel CUBE
What is your guess? @Navaneel CUBE

Phyllanthus Leaf angle titration
Day:1
Sunrise:6.16am
Sunset:6.26pm
Date:18/09/2021.
Place: Cherukkad, Kozhikode
Data collected by: Theertha
CUBE Providence Women’s college.REPOSTED

I didn’t attend …
Hope to attend it today.

This seems like crotalaria plant.Post a clear and close picture for identifying @Navaneel CUBE
Yes it is. I will post it

Small branded swift butterfly (Pelopidas mathias) Pelopidas mathias - Wikipedia navaneel Sarangi 22. 10.12 Raichak WB

This Saturday, the session is going to be a slightly different one from our regular barefoot chat sessions.

Dr Meera Baindur, from Barefoot Philosophers, who is an active member of Barefoot Chat, will be discussing the issues around patenting of COVID vaccines in the “Philawsophy” series organised by Jindal Global University from 1500-1700.

You can join the session via zoom at Launch Meeting - Zoom (password: JGU)
@Seethalakshmy CUBE @Shamma Sayyed CUBE @Raj Yashwantrao Patil CUBE @Jai Kishan CUBE and others
@Janhvi Deshmukh missed tagging you too
[4:23 PM, 10/23/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Great @Theertha CUBE Please state these on a table and let’s see how it behaves.
[4:26 PM, 10/23/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Let’s make these results as a table and try to understand by analysing the values. @Theertha CUBE @Lakshmy PJ CUBE
:+1:
Great
Yes sir :+1::v:
This is already done. :sweat_smile:
I realised the date later, was confused with date, it will be great if there is recording to view on this crucial topic…
Yes will share.

AMAZING TRANSFORMATION IN JUNGLEE BADAM TREE:heart_eyes::smiley:
Cube locality lab Ulwe Navi-Mumbai
I was continuously observing this junglee badam tree near my home and by the start of Oct month I observed that the leaves of the tree are turning voilet and red color from green. So I started clicking the pictures and observed this amazing transformation. The red leaves fall off(I missed capturing the photo of tree with no leaves) and new leaves came! Now I can also see some badam on the tree(can’t see fruits in photo Because of camera limit)
Date:- 23rd Oct 2021
Data Collector:- Abhijeet Singh. Are we having similar observations from different parts of the country? @Arunan HBSCE @DP HBCSE @Abhigyan Ray @Drishtant Cube Moina @Batul Pipewala Kolkata @Lakshmy PJ CUBE @Aditiya Joshi CUBE @P. Chitralekha Cube JNU @Sunita Chahar CUBE @Saida Sayyed @Sukriti CUBE Mango !
:ok_hand::ok_hand:
Wow… Excellent observation!!
Great :grinning::+1:

Update on butterfly model system

1. Does butterflies depend on specific host plants for laying eggs ? :thinking:
    @⁨Krishna Chechy⁩ , @⁨Jhanvi Cube⁩ ,@⁨Seethalakshmi Cube⁩ ,@⁨Anchal Cube⁩ ,@⁨Anshu Cube⁩ ,@⁨Dharam Singh⁩ ,@⁨Sradha Cube⁩ ,@⁨Arunima Chechy⁩ ,@⁨Sidhi Chechy⁩

If yes ,then why did grey pansy butterfly laid eggs on chilli pepper plant ( non host plant , different family) , violet wild petunia plant ( non host plant but same family) . So does that means butterflies lay eggs on any plants they come across :grimacing::thinking:.

Here , I have collected one egg from chilli pepper plant and the other from violet wild petunia plant and kept in a same container with the above mentioned plant leaves with a barrier in between .I collected the eggs on oct 20th and its oct 23rd now. The eggs appears to be black in colour

Will the egg hatch ? And can the larva survive on non host plant ?

Date : 23rd oct 2021
Time : 6.20 pm
Collected by: vishnupriya cj cube sn college nattika

Superb… What might be the Chemicals Responsible for colour change…
Interesting let us see if the Caterpillar crosses the barrier to eat the leaves of its host plant

1 Like

23rd October 9.30 pm to 24th October 9.30 PM

Great! Location along with date please. @Abhijeet Singh In just two days full fall colors.

Do you suspect Junglee Badan is not a tropical tree, where Autumn colors are not usual? @Abhijeet Singh and others
Can you send the pictures of eggs???
What is the condition of the eggs??? @Vishnupriya CUBE
Yes sir,
Latitude and longitude:- 19°N, 72°E
Date:-
Image 1):-9th oct(leaves started to turn red)
Image 2):-11th oct(all the leaves are red and starts falling)
Image 3):- ne leaves come and it’s back to all green)
Interesting @Vishnupriya CUBE Looking for daily updates with photo evidence.
[12:48 PM, 10/24/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What is the message? @Theertha CUBE and the context?
[12:50 PM, 10/24/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Is Jungli badam an imported plant from temperate regions? @Abhijeet Singh @Abhigyan Ray
Research article about the ‘Chemical Basis rhythm in nyctinasty’.This says that 'pair of leaf movement factors regulate nyctinasty in Phyllanthus urinaria.Factor 8 & Factor 3.
1)It was found that the concentration of the leaf-
opening factor 8 remained nearly constant during the day,
whereas that of the leaf-closing factor 3 decreased during
the day(thats why leaf opening throughout the day).
2)The leaf closing factor 3 increased in night time.
Will observe today
Great @Abhijeet Singh How this sudden transformation of colour in leaves happens?

Bryophyllum showing growth of new vegetative plant from leaf tips. Kalanchoe pinnata - Wikipedia. N SARANGI 23.10.21 raichak WB
Is Leaf Closing Factor 3 like PERIOD protein in the Fruitfly?
I guess, in yesterday’s discussion @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Lakshmy PJ CUBE @Abhijeet Singh and others were telling us that *PER protein synthesis is inhibited through a negative feed back by PER protein going and binding to its own Promoter region of the gene.
And that happens by morning and the concentration of PER protein is decreased, by that time.

Can @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Abhijeet Singh @Lakshmy PJ CUBE @Theertha CUBE and others comment?

Floral phenology of Stachytarpheta indica ( Family-Verbenaceae ) The plant attracts species of butterflies(Common Mormon, Tawny coster, Grey pansy, Common grass yellow, Common sailor, Common crow butterfly ).The inflorescence of the plant is spike which attains a maximum length of 25cms. The flowers are beautiful magenta in colour and appear when the inflorescence is 14.5cm. Each flower lasts one day. The flowers bloom in succession. The number of flowers blooming everyday varies from 2 to 10. The flowers bloom from base to apex. The total number of flowers bloomed per inflorescence varies from 30 to 45.The spike does not bloom at night. Anthesis occurs from 5.30 am to 7.30 pm. The longevity of flowers is 12 to 14 hours. During this span the nectar and pollen are available for the butterflies. The butterflies visit the flowers between 10am to 1pm. The flowers begin to close around 6pm.
Yes Sir factor 3 seems to be a clock protein like period in drosophila
Such a regulatory feedback mechanism explained how this oscillation of cellular protein levels emerged, but questions lingered. What controlled the frequency of the oscillations? Michael Young identified yet another gene, doubletime, encoding the DBT protein that delayed the accumulation of the PER protein. This provided insight into how an oscillation is adjusted to more closely match a 24-hour cycle.

I found the above para from this link but I couldn’t understand the role of dbt protein
DBT regulates circadian rhythmicity through effects on stability of monomeric PER proteins The finding that both PER phosphorylation and stability are simultaneously affected in all three dbt alleles suggests that dbt might alter PER stability through effects on phosphorylation.
https://www.cell.com/fulltext/S0092-8674(00)81225-8#:~:text=Young%20M.W-,double-time%20is%20a%20novel%20Drosophila%20clock,that%20regulates%20PERIOD%20protein%20accumulation.&text=Scopus%20(636)-,).,stability%20through%20effects%20on%20phosphorylation.
https://www.cell.com/fulltext/S0092-8674(00)81225-8#:~:text=Young%20M.W-,double-time%20is%20a%20novel%20Drosophila%20clock,that%20regulates%20PERIOD%20protein%20accumulation.&text=Scopus%20(636)-,).,stability%20through%20effects%20on%20phosphorylation.

Circadian rhythms in Drosophila require periodic interaction of the PERIOD (PER) and TIMELESS (TIM) proteins. Physical associations of PER and TIM allow their nuclear translocation, and autoregulation of per and tim transcription through a negative feedback loop. Because PER/TIM heterodimers are only observed when high levels of per and tim RNA have accumulated, self-sustained oscillations are produced in the feedback loop
Although molecular oscillations are maintained in constant darkness for per and tim RNA and for PER and TIM proteins, light can entrain the phases of these rhythms through rapid degradation of the TIM protein
Circadian oscillations of PER and TIM phosphorylation have also been described
Data collector : Ayana Nair. Time : 4:14. Name : Sooty - headed Bulbul
Data from CUBE Adarsh Vidhyalaya group

21 January 2019 Jungli Badam tree showing all leaves red. Bhulabhai Desai Road, South Mumbai Photo: mcarunan

After 4 days, on 25 January 2019 Bhulabhai Desai Road Junglee Badam Tree Photo: mcarunan

पतझड़ का मौसम आया:
Terminalia catappa having red and green leaves
Priti, Mulund, Mumbai, 18.10.21

Junglee badam. Date:24/10/21.
latitude:10.485
longitude :76.214
time:1:55pm
place: thrissur
Data collector : Seethalakshmi

Temperature : 30°/24°C

Junglee Badam Tree Terminalia kattapa, 21 January 2018 Bhulabhai Desai Road South Mumbai Photo: mcarunan

Can we study climate change with jungle Badam. Ongoing discussion in Chatshaala please join.

Junglee Badam Tree Terminalia kattapa in autumn colors, 21 January 2018 Anand Bhavan, Bhulabhai Desai Road South Mumbai Photo: mcarunan

unglee Badam has shed leaves Middleton street, Kolkata 15/2/2020
BATUL

Mango tree 7 .
Flowering is observed
Date:24/10/21.
latitude:10.476
longitude :76.214
time:1:59pm
place: thrissur, Kanimangalam
temperature : 30°C/24°c

Rotifer eggs on starving hydra cup of 50days 13/2/2020 Cube Kolkata BatulP Magnification 10X lens and 4X mobile zoom@@Saida Sayyed @Soumyadeep

Junglee badam tree leaves dried and falling,Kolkata 22°57N 88°38E pic 1/2/2020 BatulP

Mango tree 6.
Flowering is observed
Date:24/10/21.
latitude:10.571
longitude :76.219
time:1:35pm
place: thrissur, ikkanda warrier road
temperature : 30°C/24°c

Clicked today (24/10/2021) Location : Sawantwadi, Sindhudurg Maharashtra. Coordinates : 15⁰ 54’ 18.94"N and 73⁰ 49’ 16.75" E Time : 20. 47 pm
Name : The Owl Moth (Erebus ephesperis)

1 Like

24th October 9.30 PM to 25th October 9.30 pm

Abhijeet :

Breaking News!Algae growing in my Moina Homelab Culture :heart_eyes:
Date:- 24th October 2021.
:hushed::hushed::hushed::hushed: really it’s a breaking news @Abhijeet Singh
How you identify it’s a algae ? @Abhijeet Singh

Moina culture, Bottle.no 2 Date:- 24th October 2021. Location:- Homelab Ulwe Navi-Mumbai.
I’ve 4 Moina bottle culture with 250ml DC water(Declorinated water) with 60-70 moina in each bottle.

These Bottles were kept in my balcony and they received the sunlight during morning hours so I think that could be the reason behind this algal growth.
@Arunan HBSCE @Saida Sayyed @Drishtant Cube Moina @Zhara Mumbai Moina @CUBE @Janhvi Deshmukh @Aastha Ahuja Cube what do you all think about this growth? Can it help me in growing my moina culture?
[10:33 PM, 10/24/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: :ok_hand::ok_hand:
[10:36 PM, 10/24/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: What water are you using for your moina culture?
The Lethe wui Huang butterfly species was recorded from the Mishmi Hills in Lower Dibang Valley district recently, adding to the list of butterflies of India. The Lethe wui Huang is a species of brush-footed butterfly described in 1999 from Metok, Tibet, by Hao Huang. After 12 years of its original description, in 2011, the species was again reported for the first time from Panwa, Kachin state, Myanmar. Five years after it, in 2016, the species was reported from Nujiang, Yunnan, China.

In 2021, on 1 October, it was reported from the Mishimi Hills, which is the first record of the species in India. https://arunachaltimes.in/index.php/2021/10/23/butterfly-species-recorded-from-mishmi-hills/?amp @Vishnupriya CUBE @Theertha CUBE @Batul Pipewala Kolkata @Krishna Cube Nattika Butterfly @Lakshmy PJ CUBE
[12:04 AM, 10/25/2021] Drishtant Cube Moina: Indeed breaking news! How do sunlight & morning hours contribute to algal growth?:thinking:
[12:05 AM, 10/25/2021] Drishtant Cube Moina: Yes, I think it’ll support your Moina culture as algae are no stranger to Moina!
Both live in the same habitat in the wild and Moina consumes algae as food😅
Aastha:

Which tree could this be ? It is seen flowering , 25oct. 2021, 6:45am pic :- aastha CUBE Homelab Faridabad Haryana

Which tree could this be :- seen flowering on 25oct. 2021, 6:45am. A close up picture of the tree , here leaves can be seen hope this would help in identifying this tree pic :- aastha CUBE Homelab Faridabad Haryana
Does Moina eat all types of algae?
Surprisingly Terminalia catappa, desi/junglee badam is not found in Delhi though other Terminalia species such as Arjuna, bellirica, chebula, muelleri have been reported.
[9:36 AM, 10/25/2021] Drishtant Cube Moina: Copper pods? The flowers look like copper pod flowers.
[9:43 AM, 10/25/2021] Drishtant Cube Moina: I have no idea about that😅
But, it does feed on the common forms of algae abundant in freshwater bodies, for example, Green algae.
How can we identify trees ? Are these trees flowering in your area too ?
No, not all types of algae are edible.
Could we possibly create a self sustaining ecosystem, if we culture moina in a bottle in which there is algal growth?
Copper pods can be identified using their leaf pattern & ofcourse, their flowers.
The leaf pattern is bipinnate (fern-like) similar to Phyllanthus spp.
Image: bipinnate

And these trees were flowering here at Nerul, Navi Mumbai, MH two weeks back. I’ll confirm the current status & share pictures.
Yes! That’s how it is in the wild.
No. Either Senna siamea- if has oblong leaflets with rounded apex with a spiny tip or Senna spectabilis - if leaflets have pointed/acute apex.
How about we try something similar?
Ohh! I got it… The flowers in the picture by @Aastha Ahuja Cube have a pod-like appearance and copper pod flowers are free flowing (I don’t know what to call it😬).
Is my description somewhere close @P. Chitralekha Cube JNU​?

Copper pod flowers closeup

Senna siamea flower closeup
http://www.ehorticulture.com/tree-plants-seeds/multi-purpose-tree/cassia-siamea-detail.html

For comparison!@Aastha Ahuja Cube you can confirm with the ones at your place, with another closeup.
What are you hinting at? A little more description, please🧐

1. Have a bottle of decholrinated water and introduce algae into it, from any location that it is growing in (Tree bark, stones, mud)
  2. keep the bottle in the sunlight for about 14 days let the algae bloom
  3. introduce moina in the bottle.
  4. Algae can produce oxygen in turn for the carbon dioxide that is produced by Moina and can also be a food source.
  5. Technically, such an ecosystem could be sustained on itself, that is with no external interference.
    [10:10 AM, 10/25/2021] P. Chitralekha Cube JNU: In copper pod the inflorescence is generally upright
    [10:11 AM, 10/25/2021] P. Chitralekha Cube JNU: https://images.app.goo.gl/k6wVCXRDLu4hUU3V8
    Yes…! And the flower patterns are different as well. Copper pods have flowers resembling a tissue-paper😅
    What is the flower pattern in other one Senna spp. called?
    Ok I will try to click closeup picture of the flower
    Any of them with similar red leaves like catappa?
    I have not seen
    Oh, that late in February 2020m @Batul Pipewala Kolkata In Mumbai, it has been in January till last season.
    But, currently, as @Abhijeet Singh shows the Autumn colors of this tree on Mumbai is in October.
    What percentage mango trees out of total surveyed in second half of October 2021 are flowering, in your locality? @Seethalakshmy CUBE
    What happened to this culture? @Batul Pipewala Kolkata
    What is happening to this tree and neighbouring jungle badam of Kolkata now? @Batul Pipewala Kolkata
    [12:12 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What percentage mango trees out of total surveyed in second half of October are flowering? @Seethalakshmy CUBE
    [12:12 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Any reference? @Neha Rane
    What is the advantage of addition of 1 drop of milk to your culture of Moina macrocopa jsk1? @Saida Sayyed This was a major query from the CUBE Palakkad and CUBE Coimbatore groups and especially of @Dr. Nisy Prasad Cube
    [12:19 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Do you still have Moina macrocopa jsk1. Please te us the story briefly, since CUBE Palakkad & CUBE Coimbatore are interested. @Abhijeet Singh @Dr. Nisy Prasad Cube @Abhijith Vinod Cube Kolenchary Drosophila
    [12:19 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Why is Breaking News? @Janhvi Deshmukh Please start discussing.
    [12:21 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: When was this culture started? How many moina were introduced?
    What was the feed? How often?
    Was there ant Goof-up?@Abhijeet Singh
    [12:25 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What was your plan of work and objective? @Abhijeet Singh

Were these cultures being fed? With what? How often!
When were these set up? @Abhijeet Singh
Don’t you think a close up and better photo would immediately help? @Aastha Ahuja Cube
[12:29 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What is your guess? Related to which Family of trees? @Aastha Ahuja Cube
[12:34 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Great.:innocent:This surely is great challenge for all from Delhi and neighbouring localities to verify or falsify?:face_with_monocle:
Let’s develop a design to survey and make it part of CUBE Lab practice. @P. Chitralekha Cube JNU @Dr. Sarita kumar Delhi CUBE @Me@Rahul Kushawaha TIFR @Aastha Ahuja Cube and others
[12:36 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Why not do a quick search? @Drishtant Cube Moina @Batul Pipewala Kolkata In fact, another opportunity to make an entry in Wikipedia, like what was done on Psyche butterfly. @CUBE
[12:40 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Good point. @Kaninika Cube What is your guess? @Kaninika Cube Any reasoning?
This is what I had in mind for the reasoning as well
[1:18 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Any reference to substantiate your suggestion? @Kaninika Cube
[1:22 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Or even with yellow leafs before falling together, like the autumn behavior of trees in Europe?.@P. Chitralekha Cube JNU How about Gulmohar?

21 January 2019 Jungli Badam tree showing all leaves red. Bhulabhai Desai Road, South Mumbai Photo: mcarunan!

image|281x500

After 4 days, on 25 January 2019 Bhulabhai Desai Road Junglee Badam Tree Photo: mcarunan

[2:51 PM, 10/25/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: I will get their pics soon
[2:58 PM, 10/25/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: Interestingly Rotifers were growing in this water with just the starving green hydra and nothing added as feed since moina culture was absent.The hydra was releasing green algae.@Saida Sayyed @Soumyadeep
After the green hydra died I discarded the water @Arunan HBSCE

VIDEO SHARED BY BATUL AT 3.25 PM

Rotifer egg mass observed under 45X of compound microscope Feb 2020 Cube homelab Kolkata BatulP

Each circle is a mass of rotifer eggs seen here using magnifying glass and mobile zoom
Erebus ephesperis Erebus ephesperis - Google Search
[4:52 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Please give at l ast approximate dates while narrating the stories. @Batul Pipewala Kolkata
[2 PM, 10/25/2021] Arunan HBSCE: least*
Pic date feb 2020

Junglee Badam Tree Terminalia kattapa, 21 January 2018 Bhulabhai Desai Road South Mumbai Photo: mcarunan
[6:15 PM, 10/25/2021] P. Chitralekha Cube JNU: http://apps.worldagroforestry.org/treedb2/AFTPDFS/Terminalia_catappa.PDF
[6:16 PM, 10/25/2021] P. Chitralekha Cube JNU: The species loses its leaves twice a year in most areas, with a brilliant red-and-yellow display of leaf colour before doing so. Leaf loss helps it tolerate 1 or 2 annual dry seasons when it occurs. Although Indian almond does grow when planted on uplands, the natural habitat of the species is in areas just inland from ocean beaches, near river mouths, and on coastal plains. These areas are typically flat, but they may have dunes or rocky bluffs.

VIDEOS SHARED BY BATUL AT 7.55PM

Objective: Potato Slice as Medium for Microbial plating. 2 nd Day, 21July 2021 After ~20 hrs of ’ plating’ fermented coconut water. Observation of Growth of colonies CUBE HomeLab Bhulabhai Desai Road, South Mumbai Photo: mcarunan

Objective: Potato Slice as Medium for Microbial plating. 23July 2021 3rd Day of ’ plating’ fermented coconut water. Observation of Growth of colonies CUBE HomeLab Bhulabhai Desai Road, South Mumbai Photo: mcarunan

VIDEO SHARED BY BATUL AT 8.27 PM

Alstonia blooming… near Trivikram Mandir, Parnaka, Kalyan west. 25/10/2021. 19.2403° N, 73.1305° E Bit unclear pic as taken in evening.

Another Alstonia blooming. Parnaka, Kalyan west. 25/10/2021. 19.2403° N, 73.1305° E
Whats the status of Alstonia in other parts…

VIDEOS SHARED BY THEERTHA AT 9.17 PM

BUTTERFLY DIVERSITY IN PROVIDENCE WOMEN’S COLLEGE.
Common name: Blue moon butterfly
Plant:Lantana camara.

Date:25/10/2021.
Data collected by: Theertha,Anargha.
CUBE Providence Women’s college. Kozhikode
Common name: Chocolate pancy.
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/593/Junonia-iphita
Common name: Grey Pancy
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/526/Junonia-atlites.

Small portion of the wings are broken.
Common name:Blue moon butterfly.

1 Like

25th October 9.30 pm to 26th October 9.30 pm

Which plant used for egg laying? @Theertha CUBE
Which plant used for egg laying? @Theertha CUBE
Looks like gravid female. Congrats. @Aastha Ahuja Cube
Yes sir but it didn’t capture it in a bottle and now it’s gone
It is flowering in Kolkata
http://www.wormbook.org/chapters/www_nematodeisolation.2/nematodeisolation.2.html
Features of Caenorhabditis species
Caenorhabditis hermaphrodites/females generally move relatively fast and elegantly, have a long and pointy tail, which folds back on itself when the worm is moving backwards.

Most characteristically, their gut has a homogeneous brown color in the dissecting microscope under transmitted illumination, except for few large cell nuclei, which appear white in this brown background (Figure 4). This intestinal morphological feature allows you to rule out most bacteriovorous nematodes, which have a grey or blackish intestinal color, and/or more heterogeneous coloration with a large number of small or barely visible cell nuclei (Figures 4, 5, and 6).

The vulva is central, i.e., located towards the middle of the animal along the antero-posterior axis.

Embryos are oval.

The middle and basal pharyngeal bulbs (Figure 4) can both be seen with proper illumination and good magnification in the dissecting microscope. The basal bulb includes a grinder.

When the worms are mounted and observed under a compound microscope, look for the rhabditid mouth morphology (Figure 3), the two-armed (didelphic) gonad in hermaphrodites or females and the wide cytoplasmic rachis (cf. Figure 1 in Transformation and microinjection) in the center of the dorsal gonad arms. Only Caenorhabditis sp. 1 has a single fertile arm, the anterior one (Félix and Sternberg, 1996).

A characteristic feature of Caenorhabditis (with few exceptions) is a wide ray 6 in the male tail
Is this plant Lantana camara used only for nectar feeding or does this butterfly lay eggs on this :thinking:? @Theertha CUBE

Update on butterfly model system .

1. I think larva won’t survive on other plants ( non host plants) because I saw grey pansy butterfly laying eggs on chilli pepper plant and violet wild petunia plant ( non host plants ) i collected the eggs along with the above mentioned plant leaves to observe how the larva will develop on it . But on 23rd of oct 2021, the eggs turned black in colour . And a small black coloured larva was present on 24th Oct. But it didn’t survive.

•So does that means there is some chemicals present in each plant for the development of larva ( thats why butterflies lay eggs on specific host plants) :face_with_monocle:.

•How butterflies are able to identify these chemicals ?

@Anchal Dhanda :innocent: ,@Anshu Kadam (Nematodes) ,@Arunima SN Nattika Cardamine ,@Aswathy Suresh CUBE ,@Dr. Binumol SN Nattika …
Which leaves were you feeding the larvae ? Were it the same leaves on which you found the egg ?
Yes i kept them in a container one filled with violet wild petunia and the other with chilli pepper plant ( plants on which I found the butterfly laying eggs ) . But they are not its host plant :grimacing:.

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/526/Junonia-atlites#:~:text=Larval%20Host%20Plants%3A,2010)%20(Acanthaceae).
Was it a pre planned experiment to check whether the larvae survives on other plants other than host plant or not ? I mean why the larvae was not given host plant leaves were they not available ?
No larval host plants of grey pansy are : Hygrophila auriculata and Barleria

They were not available near my home lab ( homelab alapad ) . And grey pansy butterfly laid eggs on stem and leaves of chilli pepper plant and then it went to lay eggs on violet wild petunia.
So collected the eggs on leaves of chilli pepper and violet wild petunia to observe what will happen
Do you get green chilli in market what if we could have fed them with that ? I mean fruits of chilli pepper plant I mean green chillies are available in vegetable shops
But the larva didn’t survived on chilli plant. I think its because it is not hostplant of grey pansy butterfly
But you said that the butterfly layed eggs on chilli pepper plant ? Right ?

So didn’t the butterfly knew that catterpillar will not be able to live on the plant on which she is laying it’s egg ?
Yes thats what I’m confused about :grimacing:. Because it layed eggs on chilli pepper plant and violet wild petunia plant ( both are non host plants ) and there was no presence of host plants near my homelab
Maybe these plants are also host plants of this butterfly or it has adapted to lay eggs on these plants ? What do you think ? Why did the larvae didn’t survive ?

Are there more larvae on the chilli pepper plant ? Is this chilli pepper plant near your home ? Can we see if larvae are surviving there on plant also or are they dying there too ?
Larval Host plants for Blue moon butterfly are Phaulopsis imbricata, Alternanthera sessilis,Sida rhombifolia , Portulaca oleracea , Solanum torvum , Elatostema cuneatum , Laportea interrupta .

I think this butterfly used this plant only for necter feeding,why because the larval Host plants of this butterfly are Barleria, Hygrophila auriculata . Hygrophila costata .
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/526/Junonia-atlites
Ok now I am having another thought can this butterfly be a mutant butterfly where it is not able to sense the chemical of the plant and it layed egg due to that disadvantage of mutation ? But then again comes another question - does butterfly only senses chemicals to determine host plant or it uses other organs like smell/ eyes to detect the host plant and if yes then why didn’t it recognise that this is not host plant by sensing from eyes/ smell or any other feature that helps buterfly in identifying its larvae host plant ?
Why did this butterfly lay eggs on a random plant? How many eggs did it lay?was it just 2 or 3? How many eggs does it normally lay on its host plant@@Vishnupriya CUBE @Krishna CUBE
[8:21 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: But, surely you eill get them more. Now is to take-up the challenge and inspire others. @@Aastha Ahuja Cube So, we now know Faridabad has Fruitflies.
Dores it have Drosophila melanogaster? @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Rahul Kushawaha TIFR @P. Chitralekha Cube JNU
[8:22 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Photos please. @Batul Pipewala Kolkata Let’s make Kolkata in focus. @Soumyadeep @Navaneel CUBE @Sukriti CUBE Mango and others
[8:26 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: brown under transmitted illumination. @Batul Pipewala Kolkata In yesterday’s photo of yours did not have transmitted light and hence other cubists found it tough to get convinced about your claim of the color of the gut @Batul Pipewala Kolkata @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Lakshmy PJ CUBE
[8:28 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Where are the embryos in your preparation? @Batul Pipewala Kolkata @Shivam CUBE NEMATODE
[8:29 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Are you convinced which butterfly is this? @Vishnupriya CUBE and why?
[8:32 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Photo of the larva like object please @Vishnupriya CUBE
Let’s give evidence for each of our claims.
Let cubists settle only with evidence of each claim by us. @Vishnupriya CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Lakshmy PJ CUBE @Aswathy Suresh CUBE
[8:34 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: How are you sure petunia and chilli pepper are not the host plants?:face_with_monocle: @Vishnupriya CUBE
Any reference?
[8:36 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Which are the host plants? @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Vishnupriya CUBEThere was transmitted light as well as flash from above to show the gut colour in the transparent bodies
Can Grey Pansy be around without its host plants in the vicinity? @Vishnupriya CUBE Please post photos of these host plants for others to be familiar with, along with common names, if any. @Vishnupriya CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Seethalakshmy CUBE @Lakshmy PJ CUBE

@Lakshmy PJ CUBE oval embryo and vulva under 45X of compound microscope Cube Kolkata BatulP 23rd Dec2020
How can we make sure about your speculation using a well designed experiment? @Vishnupriya CUBE That is what @Aastha Ahuja Cube is trying to impress upon, I guess.
Let’s design together. @Vishnupriya CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Seethalakshmy CUBE @Lakshmy PJ CUBE
Sure, sir.
[10:17 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Which Family of plants are host plants for Grey Pansy? Which genus among them? @Vishnupriya CUBE
[10:21 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Interesting point. @Aastha Ahuja Cube
What do we mean by didn’t butterfly know? How does a female butterfly know that it has to visit the host plant in which the eggs can develop into caterpillar, pupae and adults.
What do we mean by knowing by butterfly? @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Vishnupriya CUBE @Aarushi Chitkara @Ashritha patta CUBE @Shraddha Sonavane CUBE
[10:22 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Interesting point. @Aastha Ahuja Cube
What do we mean by didn’t butterfly know? How does a female butterfly know that it has to visit the host plant in which the eggs can develop into caterpillar, pupae and adults.
What do we mean by knowing by butterfly? @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Vishnupriya CUBE @Aarushi Chitkara @Ashritha patta CUBE @Shraddha Sonavane CUBE
[10:24 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Which Family the host plants belong to and which Family Chilli and Petunia belong to? @Vishnupriya CUBE
[10:26 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: A a very careful scrutiny of these plants for more eggs are required @Vishnupriya CUBE worh photos. @Aastha Ahuja Cube please follow up on this and collaborate with @Vishnupriya CUBE
So as we know that some plants have this specific colour and shape to attract insects so this helps them in pollination …

Especially the plants that are vibrant in colour or beautiful in shape , so it also might recognise the odour …that helps it confirm that the plant is safe to stay …so that’s how it might know …
Are you sure this is Blue moon butterfly? What are the identifying features of Blue moon butterfly and not any other like Danaid Egg fly, for example?Hypolimnas misippus - Wikipedia
[10:33 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: @Vishnupriya CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Seethalakshmy CUBE
[10:34 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: @Theertha CUBE
[10:41 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Please give common names of plants.
And are you sure photo of the butterfly you posted was of Blue moon? @Theertha CUBE Why not Danaid egg fly or any other similar? Hypolimnas misippus - Wikipedia
@Theertha CUBE Why not another butterfly than Blue moon?
Please look for other confusing ones. @Theertha CUBE Hypolimnas misippus - Wikipedia
Don’t you think transmitted light should be from below the object when your camera is above? Can you draw a free hand optical path of your scheme? @Batul Pipewala Kolkata
Let’s all learn these techniques too. @Aastha Ahuja Cube @CUBE
[10:47 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Don’t we have photos of eggs and embryos in the potato medium? Why not? @Batul Pipewala Kolkata
[10:52 AM, 10/26/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Insects are attracted to vibrant colors and shapes of plants or of the odour or smell of the plant or of flower when they know where to lay eggs? @Ashritha patta CUBE
What is this concept of knowing? @Ashritha patta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Aarushi Chitkara
Yes light has been used from below the object but that does not give a clear pic so flash is used from above too

VIDEO SHARED BY BATUL AT 11.49 AM

We have video of embryo developing under 45X of compound microscope
So which light is required for observing tansparent body .
Let’s do some scientific discussion to get an improved design for photographing . @Batul Pipewala Kolkata @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Lakshmy PJ CUBE @Saida Sayyed
Essential details like Location, Date, Objective and Name of Data Collector please with each photo. @Batul Pipewala Kolkata

VIDEO SHARED BY BATUL AT 12.25 PM

Mam there is some color in the center of the nematode also is it the gut you were referring to yesterday mam
Yes
So in the month of October these trees turn green again

JUNGALI BADAM TREE (hving green leaves)
Date - 26 Oct
Timing - 1:53pm
Location - St.inez panjim
Data collector- Seema Suthar
{MHSS CUBE GOA}
Students found this caterpillar on periwinkle. Date 26/10/2021. Cube Sapekhati. Assam.

Set up for life cycle study at school lab. Cube Sapekhati, Assam.
To which species does it belong to…? @Susanta Tanti Cube Assam Phyllanthus/Cardamine

Moina culture maintaining in Home lab Bandra Tank culture MT1 ~ 100 Moina MT2 ~100 Moina (1 litre of Dechlorinated water + 4 drops of milk) Bottle Culture MB1 ~50 Moina MB2 ~50 Moina MB3 ~50 Moina MB4 ~50 Moina (250 ml Dechlorinated water + 1 drop of milk). Look forward for video! @Drishtant @Zahra @Abhijeet @Man @Rechel @Abhijit Vinod @Batul do you have moina? If so how are you culturing it? How often do we need to make subculture?

Junglee badam tree Kolkata 26/10/21 Observation leaves have not changed colour.Expectation leaves will change colour to red in Dec Jan

VIDEOS SHARED BY SMITI AT 5.49 PM

Copper pod & Mango trees in the same frame.
The inflorescence (yellow flowers+stalk; may not be clear from the photo) is seen to be upright that hints it is a Copper pod tree as suggested by @P. Chitralekha Cube JNU

Date: 26th Oct 2021
Place: Nerul, Navi Mumbai, MH 19.04’N 73.02’E
Collector: Drishtant MK

Devil’s tree, Alstonia flowering! Matches with the observation made by @Aditiya Joshi CUBE in Kalyan, MH

Another Devil’s tree flowering at 19’N latitude

Seemed to be oleander hawk moth. Let’s find the life cycle.

Mango tree preparing for the next season…!
Sprouting of new leaves must’ve begun the previous week.

Flush of new leaves in yet another young Mango Tree.
The picture isn’t clear due to digital zooming.

Collector: Drishtant MKObjective: To track the phenological changes of different plant & animal behaviour across the year; Seasonomics.
What is the status of trees in your locality lab in the last week of October 2021?

P.S.: All the above pictures have been uploaded on the Seasonomics form (www.bit.ly/seasonomics)

Mango tree 8
Sprouting new leaves
Date:26/10/21.
latitude:10.423
longitude :76.106
time:3:21pm
place: Nattika, Thrissur
Is it oxalis plant??? :face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle:
I observed these plants in my campus .
Date: 26/10/21
Time:3:23 pm
Place of collection: Nattika
Data collector :Seethalakshmi .C.R.
@Janhvi Deshmukh ,@P. Chitralekha Cube JNU ma’am,@Aditiya Joshi CUBE ,@Lakshmy PJ CUBE ,@Arunan HBSCE sir,@CUBE ,@Sunita Chahar CUBE ma’am ,@Batul Pipewala Kolkata ma’amAre you sure @Seethalakshmy CUBE it’s a oxalis
Iam not sure, but i wan’t to know is it oxalis or not???
What do you think??? Is it oxalis or not???
How can identify oxalis plant??? @Janhvi Deshmukh
Did you have some closer pictures? @Seethalakshmy CUBE
Yes
Please send us @Seethalakshmy CUBE
@Janhvi Deshmukh
I hope this is visible to you. Otherwise
tommorow i will share some closer picture of it.

[8:05 PM, 10/26/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: Ok @Man Masih Beck RANCHI CUBE.
During the lockdown period we all are made different, different kind of culture medium to culture Fruit flies at our home .:point_down: In here I give the TRSV media Protocol because it works reasonably good.

TRSV - (Tomato Rava Sugar – Vinegar) - Culture Fruit Flies at Our home.

1.Tomato - 1 egg size tomato chopped.
2. Rava - 2/3 Table spoon (How much media You want)
3. Water - ~250 ml (maximum)
4. Sugar - 1 Table spoon (maximum)
5. Vinegar - How much Media taken that measure vinegar quantity
:- ~100ml media ~10ml Vinegar (500ml bottle )
~30 ml media ~5ml
Method (100 ml plastic bottle) - Not Harmful to Flies

•Take a frypan
•Add ~250 ml water (maximum)
•Add 2/3 Tablespoon rava
•cooked in 5minutes at lower flame
•Add chopped tomato pieces, mix it well.(Not add the puree)
•After add 1 spoon suger in the mixer
•Mixed it well
•Cooked and stirred the medium contents on a low flame for another 5 minutes and added another
•Cooked in total 10 minutes ( not cook more time because they are nutrients)
•Off flame
•Take a plastic bottle, that bottle is well cleaned and dry bottles
•With the help of spoon (media is semi liquid conditions so we can easily transfer in to a bottle using spoon)
•Transferred the semi solid Tomato Rava Media into plastic bottle
•Final I add additionally vinegar ~5ml transferred in to the ~30ml media.
•After whole one day leave it for solidification
•Trap flies Using tomato bait.( tomato slice ) the bait kept in to near the kitchen garbage bin. ( Next Day we can traps flies using a empty plastic bottle )
•Trap these flies using open tomato bait
•You can Transfer these flies in to media Next day.

NB
If you make a single line culture you must be close the mouth of bottle using any kind of paper for not entire other flies.

@Arunan HBSCE Sir, @Batul Pipewala Kolkata Ma’am, @Hina Mudgal Kanpur CUBE Ma’am⁩ @Lydia cUBe Drosphila Ma’am @+91 70602 82077 Ma’am @Saida Sayyed @Shalu Kumari Cube Patna Drosophila @Yash Sheregare CUBE @Sidhy Kerala Drosophila@Kshipra CUBE @Deepika Iyyangar Cube
[8:06 PM, 10/26/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: @Smiti Gupta CUBE
Okay ma’am
Looks like a Fabaceae member.
Why one bottle has water of condensation? Any guess? Was the bottle closed with a plastic cap?
Looks like one bottle has fungal growth. What is our explanation? @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Ashritha patta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube
[8:45 PM, 10/26/2021] Ashritha patta CUBE: The possible reason might be that the bottle is not washed properly before starting with the culture …
[8:46 PM, 10/26/2021] Ashritha patta CUBE: Any other possibility that’s identified ??? @Smiti Gupta CUBE

Drosophila have been used to model a large variety of diseases, including both T1D and T2D, as well as related metabolic syndromes. These models reveal that many aspects of sugar metabolism are shared between insects and humans, despite obvious physiological differences. Drosophila bring the advantage of powerful genetic tools that enable gene identification and mechanistic studies. All of the tools have been applied to model diseases of insulin resistance and have identified several new candidate genes for human disease.
[9:00 PM, 10/26/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: @Abhijeet Singh
[9:02 PM, 10/26/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Ya after transferring the flies I did close it with caps but then after 4 hours I changed the cap with cotton
[9:40 PM, 10/26/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Ya I guess that’s the reason

2 Likes

26th October 9.30 pm to 27th October 9.30 pm

Superb Smiti…
Can fungal growth b due to the bottle not being dried properly or due to less quantity of any ingredient like vinegar or other in the media preparation…? @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Smiti Gupta CUBE
What are the plus and Minus you faced during culture of Fruit flies using this media Smiti…
There can be no possible reason in the medium point of view …cause she divided the same mixture of medium in all the bottles …but only one got affected as of now …atleast for now we can only say abt the bottle being contaminated
Oh ys that’s also true …
It had also happened with me…like I hd once divided the mixture of Trsv into three bottle but one got fungal growth and other two didn’t…
Yes exactly
Is ur media liquidy @Smiti Gupta CUBE ?
Well what happened to the flies you had at your homelab ? What was your objective like what you wanted to study in fruitflies ?
[10:02 PM, 10/26/2021] Sunita Chahar CUBE: Yes Seethalaxmi, it is oxalis.
[10:03 PM, 10/26/2021] Sunita Chahar CUBE: We can see trifoliate and heart shaped leaves

Yes @Seethalakshmy CUBE it’s a oxalis :grinning:
See this is another species
I have that @Sunita Chahar CUBE mam
It’s not so common in Goa I feel so… :no_mouth:
I actually wanted to study culture of Fruitflies again but then my media turned out little liquidy one of them showed fungal growth… so i didn’t continue with the culture…
Smiti’s culture has a good consistency i think …it wasn’t too liquidy …
[10:21 PM, 10/26/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Yaa it isn’t too liquidy nor too dry
[10:22 PM, 10/26/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: No it’s kinda semi solid
Ohokay
[10:27 PM, 10/26/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: The plus point is the media is not too liquidy, flies are in good condition and the growth of larvae and pupae are good. Minus point was the fungal growth in culture SLBM - B and that condensed water in bottle E and I guess in bottle C the fly I have is not gravid but just a female fly
[10:28 PM, 10/26/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Ya that’s right
Why don’t you try culturing flies once again ? What goof ups happened last time ? Can we list down the mistakes and design experiment again so that this time we are able to make culture
@Sidhy Kerala Drosophila please give update on your single line cultures. Please post the latest photo. Is there any goof up to celebrate?.
@Seethalakshmy CUBE we are eagerly waiting for some updates on Formicarium, how ants are doing in your formicarium?

How do we achive the objective/ short term and long term research questions?
@Iran Earthworm CUBE Please post latest photo of Earthworm cup cultures?
Great :+1:
What’s your experience so far? How easy or difficult is to maintain moina culture?

Why are you interested in moina? What’s the research question? How do we achieve the long term objective in home lab?

Is there any goof up to celebrate?
Superb Saida…

CARDAMINE: CUBE PLANT MODEL SYSTEM- An alternative to europian species of Arabidopsis thaliana (which is a well established model organism but unfortunately or fortunately not found in India). Cardamine hirsuta and Arabidopsis thaliana are close relatives, being very closely related they show differences in the leaf morphology as in Cardamine has compound leaves where as Arabidopsis has simple leaves with entire margin and this has become a great attraction of research. Which species of Cardamine this could be? Which is growing immensely in the garden of HBCSE CAMPUS How do we identify the species? Date of photo: 26th October 2021, Place: HBCSE Mankhurd MUMBAI, Data collector: Kiran Yadav
@Seethalakshmy CUBE @Lakshmy PJ CUBE @Arunima SN Nattika Cardamine @Aswathy Suresh CUBE @Rechel Turkey Cube Ranchi Moina @Theertha CUBE what’s the status of your Cardamine culture. Please give us update?

Cardamine: food plant of Psyche Butterfly caterpillar CUBISts made the entry in the Wikipedia. Cardamine plants have been found to be a food plant of Psyche Butterfly caterpillar but it is not mentioned in Wikipedia. Leptosia nina - Wikipedia

Larva also feeds on leaves of Cardamine plant and cleome plant
[8:28 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Great @Smiti Gupta CUBE for forwarding this article. Following is an interesting part on Type2 diabetics from this article. @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Ashritha patta CUBE @Smiti Gupta CUBE let’s discuss and understand this clearly in the context of this article.

Type 2 diabetes (T2D), originally named adult-onset diabetes, accounts for >90% of overall diabetes cases. T2D now affects both children and adults and has a more complex etiology than T1D. It is a disease of insulin resistance, such that hyperglycemia persists despite the presence of high levels of circulating insulin.
@Aastha Ahuja Cube @Ashritha patta CUBE @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Abhijeet Singh and others
[8:35 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: “Mobilization of both glucose and FFA is regulated by the hormones insulin and glucagon, which act in opposition to one another to keep circulating glucose levels stable. When circulating sugar levels rise, insulin is released from the β-cells in the pancreas, triggering glucose uptake and fuel storage (synthesis of glycogen, TGs, and proteins), and repressing secretion of glucagon. When circulating sugar levels drop, glucagon is released from the α-cells of the pancreas triggering the opposite effects on glycogen, TGs, and proteins and repressing insulin secretion.”
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5444297/#:~:text=mobilized%20and%20released%20…-,Mobilization,-of%20both%20glucose
@Aastha Ahuja Cube @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Ashritha patta CUBE @Aarushi Chitkara @Seethalakshmy CUBE and others
[8:37 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What do you think may have happened when you closed the bottle air tight, after adding hot medium to the bottle? @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Ashritha patta CUBE @Abhijeet Singh
[8:42 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: But, you said all bottles were washed and dried under sun.@Smiti Gupta CUBE So, each step is important as in cooking.

The devil is in the detail. And the divine too is in the detail.
Let’s pay attention to the details.@Smiti Gupta CUBE
[8:43 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: And kindly report daily updates with photos of your great achievement. @Smiti Gupta CUBE and collaborators. @Aastha Ahuja Cube
Any guess @Dr. Nisy Prasad Cube and others why one bottle has water if condensation, though the female fly is still in the bottle and perhaps eggs and larvae too.
@Aastha Ahuja Cube @Ashritha patta CUBE @Lakshmy PJ CUBE
If the water is hot it will start to condensate and form the water droplets like we see in the last container …this might also cause the medium to become liquidy
How can we write 2/3 Table spoon of Rava, in a medium? @Batul Pipewala Kolkata for 250 ml water, if this is considered a standard medium?:face_with_monocle::upside_down_face: @Batul Pipewala Kolkata @Aswathy Suresh CUBE @Yash Sheregare CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube and others
Water is one important factor leading to Fungal Growth… I think before pouring it to bottle we can cool it little more to avoid water condensation…
Are you convinced about it? @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube I find this very vague, especially when 2 or 3 Table spoon of Rava to be added, per 250 ml water🤨
Yes tahts there
Can you blame Vinegar, when same medium in other bottles has no fungal growth?:face_with_monocle: @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Ashritha patta CUBE
We can’t …atleast as of now …as Batul mam said …we can observe for may be three more days and if it still doesn’t form any mould then that s the problem of bottle and not the medium
[9:08 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What are you expecting today 27 October 2021, on the 5th day after transferring single Gravid female Fruitflies in Bottle A & Bottle D? @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Ashritha patta CUBE
[9:09 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Do you have photo evidence of that? @Smiti Gupta CUBE Please post.
[9:10 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: @Seema CUBE Please come back with your updates from Goa, with photos.
[9:14 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Which medium is this? @Seema CUBE Please give some background.
[9:17 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: How are we sure? What are the features of genus Oxalis?

How nany species of Oxalis are common in India? @Janhvi Deshmukh @Sunita Chahar CUBE Any reference?
[9:18 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Is the purple colored ones native of India? @Sunita Chahar CUBE @Janhvi Deshmukh @Seema CUBE @Naik Riddhi CUBE GOA
[9:19 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Please rewrite the composition of the Fruitfly medium you prepared along with the method of preparation @Seema CUBE
[9:22 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: How? What was the secret of the good consistency of your medium, @Smiti Gupta CUBE in comparison with the medium of Seema of CUBE Goa? @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Ashritha patta CUBE
The leaves are trifoliate and heart shaped like shamrock @Arunan HBSCE sir articulate , triagularies are common species found in india @Arunan HBSCE sir
So, what better precautions you take next time when you are making the BSRV medium? @Smiti Gupta CUBE

When are you going to make fresh medium? @Smiti Gupta CUBE
I think she said that was by substituting custard apple with banana and adding appropriate proportions of Rava …so the proportion and choice of fruit can help
Congratulations @Smiti Gupta CUBE for starting Single Line Fruitfly Cultures.
Many Drosophila Scientists are interested to collaborate with you. Congratulations. @Smiti Gupta CUBE and your collaborators like @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Ashritha patta CUBE @Seema CUBE @Yash Sheregare CUBE @Aswathy Suresh CUBE
In TRSV medium , 2 tablespoon rava if water taken is 150ml and 3tablespoon rava if water taken is 250ml please confirm @Yash Sheregare CUBE @Sidhy Kerala Drosophila @Aswathy Suresh CUBE
Please give sone details including research questions. @Saida Sayyed Are these Moina macrocopa jsk1 that was studies and genetic data bank is published by CUBE collaborators?
How are we sure?
:clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:
Today is the 5th or 6th day of your culture please give updates on your cultures.
Is it growing as a weed in the garden? @CUBE How often gardeners try to remove this weed?
Mam but even if we cool it for 15mins it is still hot , and if we will cool it for longer time like 1hr or some more then the medium would become solid then it would be difficult to transfer it in bottle
We can pour it and still leave the bottle open … right ??
Is this the entry by Cubists? Congratulations for this great initiative @CUBE
Yes I think this can be done to release vapours from bottle

And I think keeping bottle open for 2-3hrs would let vapours escape outside the bottle
Yeahhhhh exactly
How old the medium is today? And when did @Smiti Gupta CUBE observed fungal growth in BRSV Bottle B?
I think it’s been 3-4 days …atleast that’s what I remember @Smiti Gupta CUBE can confirm
Is solid consistency because of Rava or because of Banana?

What do you think?
Why Rava? What is the alternative used in Standard Cornmeal Medium used worldwide? @Ashritha patta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Yash Sheregare CUBE
And @Smiti Gupta CUBE apparently uses 3 teaspoon of Rava.:face_with_raised_eyebrow::upside_down_face::face_with_monocle:
Let’s come to some consensus with some sensible reasoning.@Smiti Gupta CUBE @Batul Pipewala Kolkata @Aswathy Suresh CUBE @Sidhy Kerala Drosophila @Yash Sheregare CUBE and others
Agar is used in standard cornmeal agar media for solidifying the media and in homelab rava is doing that work in trsv media and BRSV media of @Smiti Gupta CUBE
[9:45 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: So, what is your suggestion? @Aastha Ahuja Cube
[9:51 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: @Ashritha patta CUBE Cultures started on 22 October.
So then it’s been 4 days till yesterday …
[9:55 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Lets start developing further based on this Whiteboard of 26 October. @Ashritha patta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Yash Sheregare CUBE @Isha Pawle
How to start Single Line Fruitflies to get Drosophila species from different parts of India? @Aastha Ahuja Cube
[9:57 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What will be your expectations in Bottle A & Bottle D? When do you expect new generation flies? @Ashritha patta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Lakshmy PJ CUBE @Dr. Nisy Prasad Cube
[9:58 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Any reference on the Lifecycle of Drosophila? @Ashritha patta CUBE @Aarushi Chitkara @Seema CUBE @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube and others
Within four days we could see eggs and pupa …so may be within 9-10 days we can have the adult flies I think
Any reference? @Ashritha patta CUBE @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Seema CUBE

This should help …

Phyllanthus species, likely to be Phyllanthus amarus 17 October 2021, at Sophia CUBE HomeLab, B Desai Road, South Mumbai. Photo: mcarunan
Ya but I poured it hot because that day while discussion I was told to pour it hot so that it takes the shape of bottle
586th day of CUBE Chatshaala:26 October 2021

24 CUBist from 21 Centers had joined the webinar
INDIA
Delhi
Dr P. Chitralekha: DSC
Goa
Seema Suthar: MHSS, Goa
Haryana
Aastha Ahuja:Faridabad
Dharam Singh: Hisar

Jharkhand
Dr Shalini Lal : Morabadi, Ranchi
Rechel Tirkey: Morabadi, Ranchi

Kerala
Dr. Ni…
Ya sir even I’m confused like I used 10 tablespoons of rava and for that I used 220ml of water which is compatively very less than amount rava and water used in TRSV medium
I think in trsv media one egg size tomato is added and you added 2banana in BRSV media

So since quantity of tomato is less than banana so it used less rava whereas in BRSV media banana was more so maybe that is the reason for more rava

You used 2banana right in BRSV media ?
[10:45 AM, 10/27/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Yaa di I used 2 banana, half a teaspoon of sugar with 10 tablespoons of rava and 220ml of water
[10:45 AM, 10/27/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Plus banana contains water
Sir I think we should keep the bottle open for 2-3 hrs before closing it with cotton / any cap that is because we want the water vapors of the media to go outside the bottle @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Ashritha patta CUBE
[10:47 AM, 10/27/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: I kept it open for like 5 hours i.e from 10:30 - 4:40
[10:48 AM, 10/27/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Before transferring the flies
And you didn’t close it at all for 5hrs

Then what do you think could be the reason for water in bottle ? Did you observe water in any of your bottles ?
[10:51 AM, 10/27/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: No I just kept them outside open and covered the whole thing with dupatta like thing so that nothing can go in
[10:52 AM, 10/27/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Reason can be the plastic quality of the 5th bottle and it is kept in gallary where there’s a window connected with kitchen
[10:54 AM, 10/27/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: So that can be the reason like due to High temperature in storage area the water started condensing and other bottles have a thick plastic so…
Ohh might be …
Were all these bottles kept at same place for cooling ?
Yes
Does water condensation happens at high temperature ?
[11:04 AM, 10/27/2021] Ashritha patta CUBE: Yes mostly
[11:04 AM, 10/27/2021] Ashritha patta CUBE: It’s due to difference in the temp of external and internal environment
[11:05 AM, 10/27/2021] Ashritha patta CUBE: Tahts why even on cool water glass …u see droplets outside …cause the temp is high outside
[11:05 AM, 10/27/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Maybe when the place is warm due to humidity
[11:05 AM, 10/27/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Yaa
[11:43 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: The life cycle of drosophila, from egg fertilization to adult life, takes about 10 days at 25°C.
It says at 25°C. What about in Smiti’s case? In higher temperature range what coud be the rate of development? @Ashritha patta CUBE @Smiti Gupta CUBE Any guess?
[11:43 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: What exactly did you use this time for transfer of flies on 22 October. Please list exactly, with a proper title and Date of Preparation. @Smiti Gupta CUBE
[11:43 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: @Aastha Ahuja Cube Is not the quantity of the total amount of medium to be prepared is the first point to be noted? @Aastha Ahuja Cube Let’s be systematic.
First of all for 5 bottles like A, B, C, D & E bottles, how much medium, to be prepared in total?

Like, before starting to make tea, asking how many cups of tea is required. @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Ashritha patta CUBE @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Seema CUBE

Looks like, Science too can be common sensical, unlike coaching classes and exam questions make it out to be😇
@Smiti Gupta CUBE please update with pics
What was your idea, like how much total quantity of medium you required, according to your design of experiments with 5 Single Line cultures as the Objective? @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Ashritha patta CUBE @Seema CUBE
Phyllanthus plants are growing well in my home lab pots.
Date : 27 /10/ 21.
Time: 11: 05 am.
Name of data collector: khan shaheen .
[11:49 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Oh, did you keep Bottle E at a different place🙃 Why? @Smiti Gupta CUBE
[11:52 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: How can humidity cause heat or warmth?:upside_down_face:
Did you start from the seeds? @Khan Shaheen CUBE Are these seedlings of the same species, seeds from the same plant?
Yees sir i have started from the seeds . @Arunan HBSCE
[11:59 AM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Great! Was it a from the same plant of which you knew the species? Were all seeds of Phyllanthus of known species? If so which species?
[12:00 PM, 10/27/2021] Arunan HBSCE: When did you sow the seeds? @Khan Shaheen CUBE What percentage of seeds germinated?
[12:05 PM, 10/27/2021] Khan Shaheen CUBE: Yes sir , i have two species p.amarus and p.Urinaria . These were the seeds of P. Amarus which are growing now.@Arunan HBSCE
[12:23 PM, 10/27/2021] Khan Shaheen CUBE: i was putted the seeds on the soil, on 22 sep, and they are started germinating on 28 sep, and on 5th oct , they are started fruiting. in between 15 day’s plants had start fruiting and flowing . and now on 27th oct they are growing well . @Arunan HBSCE
No. Probably Medicago polymorpha.
Yes sir

Total quantity comparison of trsv and brsv can tell us wheather the banana was more or why more rava is needed in BRSV media
Microscopic view of monocot root - musa root . Place - nattika, date - 27/10/21, time 12:04 .@aiswarya e.k,@ aiswarya N.G, Krishna k u,@ shaharuban
This is growing everywhere at HBCSE garden and Gardner’s are trying hard to get rid of these Cardamine plants specially in the front lawn under the main building where HBCSE is written.
Yes this entry is by CUBist. :tada:
:clap:t2::clap:t2::+1:
Great. How was it done?

Gulmohar Tree with Few Flowers… Date: October 27th 2021… @ Kanjikode… Palakkad… Kerala…10.7976° N, 76.7430° E… … by Nisy Prasad

You may notice too. One Phyllanthus species keeps awake while others show folding of leaves.At 4:58 pm, on the side of Pedder Road, South Mumbai Photo: mcarunan

Junglee badam.
Date:27/10/21.
latitude:10.420
longitude :76.109
time:2:58pm
Temperature :31°/23°C
place: Nattika, Thrissur

Cassia fistula . flowering is observed
Date:26/10/21.
latitude:10.417
longitude :76.110
time:3:04 pm
Temperature :31°C/21°C
place: Nattika
Is the time for flowering?? :thinking:
Or its show earlier???
Wow😇Let’s follow up this and a few others, if possible. @Seethalakshmy CUBE
[4:55 PM, 10/27/2021] Ashritha patta CUBE: I’m not sure but is there a possibility of the increase in time with increase in temperature …there was also a study on this temperature effect on developmental time in American lobster…it suggests that the development rate increased with increase in temperature …
[4:55 PM, 10/27/2021] Ashritha patta CUBE: May be not too much but a little
[4:56 PM, 10/27/2021] Ashritha patta CUBE: Effect of Temperature on Development Rate of Larvae from Cold-Water American Lobster (Homarus Americanus) | Journal of Crustacean Biology | Oxford Academic

@Arunan HBSCE @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Aastha Ahuja Cube do y’all think this could be one contributing factor for good development rate …??
In the third line it’s decrease*
What happens to enzyme activity with increase in temperature? @Ashritha patta CUBE
At first with increase in temp the enzyme activity increases but Beyond a particular level enzyme will get desaturated …
Ok adding on to this I think the increase in temperature would be a temperature where the enzymes of lobster can comfortably do their work maybe that’s why the temp increase led to little improvement in growth of larvae as it was mentioned
[5:13 PM, 10/27/2021] Ashritha patta CUBE: So will that also be the same in fruitfly ??
[5:13 PM, 10/27/2021] Ashritha patta CUBE: I think our room temperature is definitely more than 25 degrees …right ?
Ok I didn’t read that paper but generally thinking that humans maintain body temperature to nearly 37°C so it doesn’t matters that how much temp is outside because anyways body will try to make inner temp to 37°C but the case of fruitfly is different about it I think the temp outside and inside the fruitfly will be same and thus that can directly affect the activity of enzymes inside fruitfly body
Please join the Chatshaala and let’s discuss. @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Ashritha patta CUBE and others

VIDEOS SHARED BY SMITI AT 5.39PM

but how will increase in enzyme activity be leading to shorter development?
I think she meant …with more temp. , There is more enzymatic activity and more rate of development …( Shorter development time )
oh i see

How many pupae in this bottle please give pics with details also date place and your name
Please join everyone
@Smiti Gupta CUBE how to standardized BSRV medium is being discussed currently.

So please do join
Fruit fly collaborators and others let’s join and help smiti in standardising BRSV medium.

1 Like

27th October 9.30 pm to 28th October 9.30 pm

VIDEO SHARED BY DR. ARUNAN AT 10.06 AM

Butterfly patch at CUBE Sophia Garden Lab. 5:04 pm 25 October 2021 Where are the butterflies at 5:04 in the evening? Photo: mcarunan

Cardamine asks all of us. Where are the collaborators?

Life cycle study. host plant periwinkle. Day three. Date 28/10/2021. Lenght of caterpillar 6.5 cm. Cube Sapekhati.
Wow. @Susanta Tanti Cube Assam Phyllanthus/Cardamine Any guess which Butterfly or moth caterpillar this could be?
Any reference? @Vishnupriya CUBE @Seethalakshmy CUBE @Susanta Tanti Cube Assam Phyllanthus/Cardamine

Ashy Drongo feeding on Butterfly!:heart_eyes: Bird : Ashy Drongo

Tree: Rain tree

Butterfly: not identified yet.

Date and time: 27 Oct 2021, 10:45am

Photographed by: Adithi Muralidhar

1st floral buds after 3 simple leaves(orange colour) &4 compound leaves (pink in colour). Date of Photo- 28 /10/21 time -11:23am location-Panvel photo taken by - Shraddha

2 cotyledon leaves- Yellow colour no. 3 simple leaves- in red colour nos. compound leaves in pink colour nos. Location-Panvel date of Photo- 28/10/21(11:17am) Photo taken by-Shraddha
Fruit development started. Date of Photo- 28 /10/21 time -11:21am location-Panvel. photo taken by - Shraddha
Fully open flower - 4 white petals. Date of Photo- 28 /10/21 time -11:08am location-Panvel photo taken by - Shraddha

VIDEO SHARED BY DR. ARUNAN AT 2.28 PM

Thanks to @aastha 's narrative on Common mormon at CUBE ANDC, Delhi, I became sensitive to this scene and captured it at 1:45 pm 28 Oct 2021 CUBE Sophia HomeLab, B Desai Road, South Mumbai Photo mcarunan
[5:01 PM, 10/28/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: Lovely, do you also have eggs of common mormon on your curry leaves ?
[5:15 PM, 10/28/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335600661_Host_tree_canopy_isolation_by_nesting_Sri_Lanka_Drongo_Dicrurus_lophorinus
This is a very interesting behaviour of Sri Lanka drongo, it tears off all leaves/branches that can connect the nesting tree to adjoining trees building a secure nest for its offspring.
Can the bird plan such a strategy?Or is it mimicking the behaviour of its parents and siblings as it was beneficial? Did it learn this behaviour from another bird/animal?
Did you study if the ants were killing the larvae ?
You had pupae in one of your cultures have the young flies come out?Do they look different from the adult fly? Please update on your cultures @Smiti Gupta CUBE
Can we start identification of Cardamines, today onward, slowly and steadily? @CUBE
No, not yet only the colour of pupae has changed a little
Is it curry plant sir?
Great @Shraddha Sonavane CUBE in how many days does this 1st floral bud develop? What’s the current status of your Cardamine culture?
Please share pics of today with brief description
How are you maintaining them? What’s the watering pattern, how often do you water them?
When do you expect to get yellow mature seeds in this plant in how many days? How many seeds do you expect from one Cardamine plant? What’s the further plan after getting the seeds?
4 white petals
Floral features are very crucial in order to identify the species of Cardamine.

What’s the number and pattern of stamen in this plant? How do we click a good photo using phone microscopy techniques to observe number of stamens?
The black cricle is for 3 day old pupa, blue for 2 day old and pink one is one day old
I was waiting for this. Thanks @Batul Pipewala Kolkata. I thought no one would ask.
Very natural question which after exam preparation all these years, we forget to ask. Thanks @Batul Pipewala Kolkata
This is the bottle E which had got water contamination, now there’re about 40 larvae and 1 pupa in it
A butterfly is visiting the egg laying host plant, is this a female butterfly? Do we only expect females on the egg laying plant or do we also expect male butterfly?

As per the yesterday’s discussion female common Mormons have vibrant color spots like red or orange.
Bottle B
Yes mam this is female butterfly we can see red color on the lower wings of the butterfly

VIDEO SHARED BY DR. ARUNAN AT 5.55 PM

Here are two eggs of the butterfly that visited the Curry leaf plant at the CUBE HomeLab, B Desai Road, South Mumbai, today 28 Oct 2021. Photo mcarunan
Bottle D
[6:04 PM, 10/28/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Yes, @Abhijeet Singh This is curry leaf plant growing in a pot at the balcony.
[6:08 PM, 10/28/2021] Arunan HBSCE: @Smiti Gupta CUBE expects the pupae to give rise to fly only on 29 th October or after, since @Smiti Gupta CUBE transferred the mother fly on 22 October. @Batul Pipewala Kolkata
Wah!
We are celebrating goof up of smiti with her slbm E bottle where her bottle gave larvae and pupa and fly has been surviving in the bottle inspite of the water of condensation

Join chatshaala it’s happening now :partying_face::partying_face:
[6:26 PM, 10/28/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: :+1::+1:Can you measure the size of the larvae with a ruler please
[6:27 PM, 10/28/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: On 29th morning or evening are you expecting the flies @Smiti Gupta CUBE
Bottle B
[7:28 PM, 10/28/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Smiti, a first year BSc student is presenting some great work. The great thing is that Smiti is persistently doing something and presenting daily.

Please tell this to encourage your friends that good science is possible.

And we are also learning how Vinegar acts as an antibacterial and antifungal agent through this study.
[7:49 PM, 10/28/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Bivas , formerly of CUBE St Xavier’s College, Mumbai, joined CUBE Chatshaala right now from Munich Germany.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3593784/.

In this research paper they have tried to genetically modify the mosquito in 2ways :-

1. some molecules - as they say - anti pathogen effector molecules - that I guess would be killing the pathogen :- these would be synthesized by genetically modified mosquito itself

2. by genetically modifying the gut microbes so that they release the molecules that would help in killing of malarial pathogen in mosquito body

So in both the cases malarial parasite will not be able to survive in the body of mosquito.
:+1:

1 Like

28th October 9.30 pm to 29th October 9.30 pm

What do I do now :sob::sob:
:woman_facepalming: how did it happen?? :face_with_spiral_eyes:@Smiti Gupta CUBE
A rat did that😭
Which culture bottle is this?? @Smiti Gupta CUBE
[12:19 AM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: E
[12:21 AM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: I mean SLBM - E
Ohh i see :flushed:
What should I do now!?
Ok, so what is your next plan?? Any larvae, pupae present inside the bottle??@Smiti Gupta CUBE
[12:23 AM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Just throw it away or transfer that larva and pupa left in some other bottle?
[12:23 AM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Yaa there’re
[12:23 AM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: I don’t know what should I do
[12:25 AM, 10/29/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: I think better you can collect the larvae and pupae of the flies, then transfer into new medium @Smiti Gupta CUBE
[12:26 AM, 10/29/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: Then wait and see what happen them
Now he took the whole bottle with him
Not clear
That bottle got a hole so I kept it out after sending the pick and I went inside and the bottle is gone
So, you mean, lost the bottle, right???
Yaa
Ok, currently how many cultures you have?? @Smiti Gupta CUBE
[12:31 AM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: 4
[12:31 AM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Out of which 2 are good and 2 aren’t
These are mixed culture??? Or these flies are coming from a single mother??@Smiti Gupta CUBE
Single line
What do you mean by 2 of them are not good?@Smiti Gupta CUBE
That bottle B has fungus and bottle C only has fly with no eggs
In SLBM- B culture bottle how many flies you have??@Smiti Gupta CUBE
There was one gravid fly but then I transferred it in bottle C
See this was there in bottle B
So, currently bottle B is empty ( no flies ) right?? @Smiti Gupta CUBE
Yaa

Only this is there in it
In SLBM - B
What is your expectation on bottle SLBM C ?? When the gravid fly lay egg on it @Smiti Gupta CUBE
[12:49 AM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: I can’t see any eggs
[12:51 AM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: It’s almost been a week now
Does the culture bottle have water droplets around it like on the walls of the bottle @Smiti Gupta CUBE …?
Nope
Then wat do u think can be the reason of not seeing eggs :thinking:?
I guess it’s not a gravid fly. it’s just a female fruit fly[6:49 AM, 10/29/2021] Aastha Ahuja Cube: It’s ok smiti relax
Is there a place in your home where you think rat will not come like somewhere at a height like above cupboards try finding places where you expect rat to not come in your home and keep the bottles there
[6:52 AM, 10/29/2021] Aastha Ahuja Cube: Do you have mixed line culture from the flies you trapped on 8th Oct ? Why not we create more single line cultures like you did for SLBM A,B,C,D,E?
[7:18 AM, 10/29/2021] Aastha Ahuja Cube: Where did you keep these bottles ? I mean were they kept together?

If yes then it’s interesting that rat only chose E bottle when there was same food in 5bottles , why not any other bottle , was there something special with this bottle ?
Ohh :hushed: what happened with bottle ? @Smiti Gupta CUBE did you keep it near the gas ?
Yes, @Smiti Gupta CUBE relax.
Let’s plan to get rid of rats.
Any plans?

Secondly, please tell us how many Single Line Bottles do you have which have larvae or pupae?

Let’s try to safegaurd these bottles. Please post photos of all bottles with a description as of today.
@Smiti Gupta CUBE

These are part of small problems we HomeLab activists have to collectively deal with, because we are innovators. Cheers!
[9:20 AM, 10/29/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Interesting, the so called fungus is not spreading in SLBM B.
@Smiti Gupta CUBE
[9:23 AM, 10/29/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Is it true you still have larvae or pupae with mother fly in bottles SLBM A & SLBM D?
Please post an update with photos. @Smiti Gupta CUBE

You are doing a great job, indeed. Cheers @Smiti Gupta CUBE

Isn’t it weird to see such big leaves on these small plants… Have u’ll come across such leaves? Why do these plants need such big leaves? What’s d name of des plants ?

-seema suthar
-Taliegao road
-(mhss cube goa)
I think it is because of due to competition among those crowded to leaves to get sunlight
It belongs to colocosia belongs to the family Araceae.
Is there any difference between the leaves of Convulvulaceae and Araceae ?
Do large leaves also indicate sufficient supply of water since transpiration will also be seen more ?
are these water plants ?

They grow near the fields…
[11:22 AM, 10/29/2021] Seema CUBE: How did u identity it so easily? What are the features of Araceae family…?
[11:23 AM, 10/29/2021] Seema CUBE: Identify*Ants larvea on leaf.date:29/10/21, place : edathirinji, time 11:45, shaharuban SN cube nattika.
Egg and catterpiller of common Mormon butterfly on curry leaf plant. Date:29/10/21,time:11:50, place: edathirinji, shaharuban SN cube nattikaWhich Plant is this? Is it Poisonous? What is the use of this plant? And Is it edible? Meghraj Kamath MHSS CUBE GOA. Date: 29 October 2021
Looks like wild ladyfinger plnt .
Is it this plant @Meghraj Kamath ?
Have u seen their flowers?
We call this as ranbhendi or wild okra. This pic shows the flowers, buds(blue marked) n young fruits(red marked)
[1:08 PM, 10/29/2021] Aditiya Joshi CUBE: @Seema CUBE @Meghraj Kamath
[1:09 PM, 10/29/2021] Aditiya Joshi CUBE: We can look and compare leaves n flowers(if its still flowering)
Let’s start with identification of family
No the Ladyfinger Like thing is quite smaller in the Plant which I shared
[1:10 PM, 10/29/2021] Navaneel CUBE: Then move into the intricacies
[1:11 PM, 10/29/2021] Navaneel CUBE: For example this plant has typical leaves of Malvaceae family.
[1:13 PM, 10/29/2021] +919001: No when I saw them some had burst open and the seeds inside them had dried

Some were were green and had a sharp hair on its surface
[1:14 PM, 10/29/2021] + 19001: And the hair was all over the plant as well
I think hibiscus too is member of malvaceae family. Even cotton too.
But leaves of hibiscus n bhendi looks different.
So can we look for the striking characteristics of this family

[1:17 PM, 10/29/2021] Navaneel CUBE: If you look at he striking characteristic, which is the lea is shaped like a palm, with many middle veins, and small veins looking like nerves
[1:17 PM, 10/29/2021] Navaneel CUBE: With cuts on he leaves edge
Is there any use of this Plant?

VIDEO SHARED BY SEETHALAKSHMU AT 1.24 PM

Accidentally i observed these caterpillar on cinnamomum plant :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:
No of caterpillars : 5
size : ~1.5 cm
Date : 29/10/21.
Time:12:58 pm.
Data collector : Seethalakshmi. C. R. CUBE Nattika
Which butterfly’s caterpillar is these???

Mango tree full of leaf sprouts at HBCSE TIFR, Mankhurd Mumbai. On 29 Oct 2021 at 1330. Observed by DurgaPrasad@Vishnupriya CUBE ,@Aastha Ahuja Cube ,@Shraddha Sonavane CUBE ,@Arunan HBSCE sir,@CUBE ma’am ,@Lakshmy PJ CUBE ,@Batul Pipewala Kolkata ma’am,@Sunita Chahar CUBE ma’am and others…

Yes… this is a flower of normal lady finger plant … it’s quite same as that of wild ladyfinger…
Is it eatable @Aditiya Joshi CUBE ?
Kuch kuch hota hai (something something is happening) in this Common mormon, common rose mimic Butterfly egg, about 24 hrs after laying, at CUBE HomeLab, B Desai Road, South Mumbai Photo mcarunan 1:37 pm 29 October 2021
Don’t you think it is looking similar to Ladies Finger plant fruit? @Meghraj Kamath
Yes sir but has some other features like the hair like thing on its surface is sharp, very small in size, Burst open mostly because of excess sunlight and darkness

Flower of ranbhendi or jungli bhindCommon mormon mimic of Common rose, looks like. Thanks to @aastha 's narrative on Common mormon at CUBE ANDC, Delhi, I became sensitive to this scene and captured it at 1:45 pm 28 Oct 2021 CUBE Sophia HomeLab, B Desai Road, South Mumbai Photo mcarunan

[2:27 PM, 10/29/2021] Vishnupriya CUBE: Actually the butterfly layed eggs on stem and leaf of chilli pepper plant and I collected the eggs on leaf to my homelab . But the caterpillar didn’t survive . So does that mean butterflies lay eggs on specific host plant because of some chemicals present in it . And it is needed for the development of caterpillar . @Aastha Ahuja Cube
[2:28 PM, 10/29/2021] Vishnupriya CUBE: A mutant butterfly :grimacing::thinking:?

Can anyone identify what this is, it grew in my algae culture I scraped off some tree barks.

It just layed 3 eggs on the chilli pepper plant and 1 egg on wild petunia plant and then it flew away to next plant.
I am not clear
Is chilli plant it’s host plant or not?

If yes then you feeded the catterpillar with chilli leaves as you brought them home right?

Now why wouldn’t catterpillar survive after eating the leaves of the plant on which eggs have been layed

This contradicts with my experience of culturing pea pod catterpillar and feeding them with pea wherein they survived in that container after eating pea

Actually the host plants of grey pansy are Hygrophila auriculata and Barleria.

But here it layed eggs on non host plants ( chilli pepper plant and wild petunia plant)

Thats why I got confused why it layed eggs on non host plant :thinking:?

I tried to feed the caterpillar with chilli pepper leaves but it didn’t survive. This black one was the caterpillar that came out . So small to see

Sprouting of new leaves and presence of brown color leaves in Mango tree. Place: HBCSE Mankhurd MUMBAI, Coordinates : 19’ 72’ Data collector: Kiran Yadav, Date of Photo: 29th October 2021
Are both the host and non host plant having same chemicals by any chance ?
This was the image of caterpillar that came out of egg . I collected the egg along with chilli pepper leaves. Not so clear :grimacing:

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/526/Junonia-atlites
Close up photo of the same mango tree. Place: HBCSE Mankhurd, coordinates, Date: 29th October 2021, Data collector: Kiran Yadav
Are there more catterpillar / eggs on chilli plant ? What is happening with them
[2:43 PM, 10/29/2021] Vishnupriya CUBE: I dont know about it . They both belong to different families . How can we know about the chemicals present in these plants ?
[2:46 PM, 10/29/2021] Vishnupriya CUBE: It layed one egg on the stem but I don’t see it now . And there’s no caterpillar on that plant

Both the plants are different at order level @Vishnupriya CUBE
:open_mouth:Is this caterpillar of a moth or butterfly ? And what is that white and blue color of the top part of that caterpillar? Is that its eye :face_with_monocle:
There is one more question why did butterfly lay egg on chilli plant ?
No idea . Its so strange that butterflies laid eggs on host plant and here it came and laid 3 eggs on chilli plant :face_with_monocle:
Ya aastha di, now they’re at a safe place
:hushed: which butterfly is that ? And does this bird feeds on butterflies only​:thinking::grimacing:?
I will do it probably on 1st
@Smiti Gupta CUBE please share some good pictures and video of your single line bottles with some essential details and your expectations
Yup
[2:53 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: I got these new flies in SLBM bottle A today
[2:53 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: There’re about 12 flies now
Wooooooo is it not a Breaking news :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:
It is and there’s one more news
You expected 1st generation fruit flies today in SLBM-A Bottle and you got them.
[2:55 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Most of the pupa have turned black from bottle D
[2:55 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Yesssss
Can you give a summary like in how many days you got 1st generation 12 fruit flies from one single mother.

And how many of them are male and female?
:clap:. What are your further plans?@Shahruban CUBE , and is there any other butterfly that depend on curry leaf plant other than common mormon butterfly :thinking:? Why is it attracted to Curry leaf plant @Shahruban CUBE
Okay I gotta check it idk who’s male and who is female :sweat_smile:
:clap::star_struck:. So what are your further plans @Seethalakshmy CUBE , is this caterpillar of butterfly or moth ?
There were approx 65 pupae in this bottle SLBM- D.

How many of them have turned black? Are these dead pupae? When did you expect flies from these pupae?
There are around 10 brown pupa in bottle D so 50 - 55 have turned black

From the Archive SLBK bottles ( Single line cultures of Bottukadavu Kerala Fruit flies) . Maintained by Aswathy Suresh. We can see a lot of eggs, larvae and one fly.

From Archive. Close of photo of eggs of fruit fly from single line Cultures. Pic credit: ASWATHY SURESH
From Archive. Eggs and Larvae along with the reference scale for the size. Pic credit: ASWATHY SURESH
Wowwwww! the eggs are clearly visible :heart_eyes:
From Archives Gravid fruit flies with bulgy creamy abdomen . Pic credit: ASWATHY SURESH
Are these bottles kept on floor ? My house rats love to run here and there on floor is it not a bad idea to keep them on floor
No yesterday those rat took it from outside actually I was attending webinar sitting out because inside my family was watching tv and kids were making noise
Close up photo of a pupa. Pic credit: ASWATHY SURESH
[3:08 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: And then I got a call by my dad and he told me to go somewhere and in hurry I just left those bottle out in a corner and the rat took the bottle E away
[3:08 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: I called my mom and told her to take all bottles inside
How are these pictures clicked mam ? They are so good I was never able to click such good photos
[3:09 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: But when she was taking it only 6 bottles were there and one was missing
[3:09 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Same here
Why are you keeping bottles outside ?
[3:10 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: I didn’t even notice those eggs with my eyes yet
[3:10 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: No I don’t keep them out I was observing and taking videos out
[3:11 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: And then I forgot to take it in, now they are inside in my study room
Oh ok hard luck try to take videos inside so that rat don’t find them again
Yaa I’m not taking them out ever again🥺
Yes these are all photos taken by Aswathy Suresh.
Mam was aswathy using phone microscopy for these pictures ?
How have we recover SLBM-E bottle now?
With Android phone or by using some camera and stuffs cause I could never click such good pictures with my normal phone camera
With mobile phone only.
[3:14 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Oohk okay
[3:15 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Ma’am, I have mixed line culture from the flies I trapped on 8th Oct. So we can l create more single line cultures like I did for SLBM A,B,C,D & E
[3:16 PM, 10/29/2021] Smiti Gupta CUBE: Because now I don’t have that SLBM bottle E
From Archives collage of Flies, eggs, different size larvae, pupae using Mobile phone Pic credit: Isha Pawale
:star_struck::star_struck:
The last pupa is black or the dark brown one?
It’s dark brown, it looks Balck because of the wing or abdomen I guess.

@Smiti Gupta CUBE try to click some close up pictures like this. Then we could se the paper properly in your culture.
Ooh okay
Pupae*
Got it👍🏼
[3:23 PM, 10/29/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: :clap:t2::clap:t2: Can we get a close up pic of atleast one fly
[3:29 PM, 10/29/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: Can we find out which butterflies use this plant as host plant.what is the name of the host plant
[3:29 PM, 10/29/2021] Batul Pipewala Kolkata: @Seethalakshmy CUBE

From Archive Day wise transformation in pupa. Pic credit: RAHUL KUMAR FROM TIFR MUMBAI
[4:15 PM, 10/29/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: Ma’am, i observed these butterflies on cinnamomum plant
I don’t know which butterfly’s caterpillar is this @Batul Pipewala Kolkata ma’am
[4:40 PM, 10/29/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: I want to observe them,and i want to which butterfly’s caterpillar is this.
I think these are catterpillar of butterfly, because the hairs is not present and body was very smooth.
[4:40 PM, 10/29/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: @Vishnupriya CUBE
What are these ball like appendages at the end of this Hibiscus acetosella plant ! Are they larvae? N Sarangi 29.10.21
How many types of leaf are there on the same plant. Let’s find out why as well.

Reference please of Hygrophila and Barleria?
Do you have these in yor neighborhood?
What are the common names of these plants? @Vishnupriya CUBE
I lost my formicarium :sweat: Formicarium attacked by other black ants. So my earlier culture ant ( black crazy ant) far away. Location : Pazhuvil. Date:29/10/21. Time: 2:00 pm. Data collector : seethalakshmi
What did we learn from it
Breaking News . Please post it as a breaking News. Did you expect it? @Smiti Gupta CUBE
[5:31 PM, 10/29/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: This is an open setup, so that’s why another ants attacks my formicarium. So we need to re design the set up.
[5:31 PM, 10/29/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: @Navaneel CUBE
Waiting for Cubists to join the CUBE chatShaala, @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Smiti Gupta CUBE @Seethalakshmy CUBE @Navaneel CUBE @Abhijeet Singh @Ishita Assam @Isha Pawle @Yuga CUBE GOA @Naik Riddhi CUBE GOA @Arunima SN Nattika Cardamine @Lakshmy PJ CUBE and others please join in
This is the video of the formicarium. Attacked by other ants. :sweat:
Date : 14/10/21
Time : 5:31 pm
Breaking news :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

Jack fruit tree starts to fruiting.:star_struck:
I observed some male fruits in jackfruit tree

Date: 29/10/21
Time: 4:50 pm
Latitude:10.413900
Longitude : 76.162100

Golden shower ( kanikonna)
Flowering now
Scientific name : Cassia fistula
Kingdom : Plantae
Order: Fabales
Family : Fabaceae
Genus : Cassia
Species: C.fistula
Thrissur , kerala
Date : 29/10/2021
Time: 5.30 pm
Data collector : Aiswarya NG
Cube SN Nattika
Update on phyllanthus model system
Date:29/10/21
Time:5:00 pm
Mango tree : 9
Sprouting is observed
Temperature : 29°C/24°
Latitude:10.413900
Longitude : 76.162100
No @CUBE ma’am, i want to observe daily, then report what happens to them ( like after how many days it becomes pupae then adult…)
No iam not transferred into box. Because iam sure, i can’t give proper care, due to our colleges open, that’s why iam not do that.
lowering arrives early in Ghansoli, Navi Mumbai!
Seems like an odd observation, this. Flowering around 19’N commenced by the second week of December 2020 i.e., last year.

29th October 2021
Place: Millenium Business Park, Ghansoli, Navi Mumbai 19.10’N 73.02’E
Picture: Chandrakant Kawale
Common mormon butterfly seen at St.inez Panjim Goa
date - 29 Oct 21
timing - 11:14 am
data collector - Seema Suthar

Date : 20/10/21
Time: 11:56pm
What i remember, 9 days before a blue bottle butterfly visited these cinnamomum plant.
I think here probably these are blue bottle butterfly’s catterpillar.

Sorry for less clarity picture :innocent:
@Seethalakshmy CUBE , how are you sure this is blue bottle butterfly ? how did you identify it ?

[7:05 PM, 10/29/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: I used google lense
[7:05 PM, 10/29/2021] Seethalakshmy CUBE: @Vishnupriya CUBE
[7:05 PM, 10/29/2021] Vishnupriya CUBE: wow🤩, which all plants are there ? is there any host plants or nectar plants available at that place ? is this butterfly touching the leaves to identify if it is its host plant🤔 ?
[7:08 PM, 10/29/2021] Vishnupriya CUBE: but can we completely depend on google lens :grimacing:, is there any species similar to common bluebottle ? is common jay similar to common bluebottle​:face_with_monocle:
@Seethalakshmy CUBE does your Caterpillar resemble this of tailed jay?Cinnamomum is a host plant of this butterfly too
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/569/Graphium-agamemnon
mam , tailed jay has green and black patterns on their wings right ? the image shown by seethalakshmi has a blue colored butterfly .
@Seethalakshmy CUBE why dont you keep these Caterpillar in a box with these leaves of cinnamomum and watch them grow
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/569/Graphium-agamemnon https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/589/Graphium-doson
Accidentally i observed these caterpillar on cinnamomum plant :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:
No of caterpillars : 5
size : ~1.5 cm
Date : 29/10/21.
Time:12:58 pm.
Data collector : Seethalakshmi. C. R. CUBE Nattika
Which butterfly’s caterpillar is these??? :thinking:
Yeah! Iam little bit confused :grimacing::grimacing:
Both common jay and blue bottle butterflies are similar as well as their larval host plant is same. So how can we distinguish them???.

Reference
Blue bottle butterfly :
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/1948/Graphium-teredon#:~:text=Larval%20Host%20Plants%3A,Kunte%202000%3B%20Robinson%20et%20al.

Common jay :
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/589/Graphium-doson#:~:text=Larval%20Host%20Plants%3A,-%20Annonaceae%20(Robinson%20et%20al.&text=2010)%20(Annonaceae).,Cinnamomum%20(Robinson%20et%20al.
:point_up:t3:@Seethalakshmy CUBE @Vishnupriya CUBE
@Vishnupriya CUBE, @Batul Pipewala Kolkata ma’am
I think common blue bottle butterfly ( Graphium sarpedon) is similar to common jay ( Graphium doson) both are having blue and black coloured wing patterns . Tailed jay ( Graphium agamemnon) is having green and black wing patterns .

But when we look at the distributional pattern common bluebottle is not found in kerala or other neighbouring states like Tamil nadu , karnataka ( southern part ) . And graphium doson (common jay ) is found in kerala and all . So is it common jay butterfly . @Batul Pipewala Kolkata mam, @Seethalakshmy CUBE and others

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/589/Graphium-doson

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/569/Graphium-agamemnon

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/557/Graphium-sarpedon
About what is this?
Dakhan tailed jay is also found in Kerela
Please join Chatshaala. Fresh cubists are discussing about Biological rhythm. Please join in. We need cubists like you to mentor them.
The molecular clock mechanism in Drosophila is composed of interlocking transcriptional feedback loops30 presenting homologous components with the molecular circadian mechanism in mammals18. In one loop, CLOCK (CLK) and CYCLE (CYC) proteins heterodimerize (CLCK/CYC) in the cytoplasm and translocate to the nucleus where they positively regulate the expression of period (per) and timeless (tim) genes31,32,33,34. Protein products of these genes (PER and TIM) accumulate in the cytoplasm during late day/early evening and heterodimerize to translocate to the nucleus later in the evening35,36,37,38,39. Here, PER represses the activity of CLK/CYC, hence negatively regulating its own transcription as well as tim transcription38,40. TIM is bound by Cryptochrome (CRY) …
@Aastha Ahuja Cube @Shraddha Sonavane CUBE

VIDEOS SHARED BY DR. ARUNAN AT 9.36 PM

Usual job rhythm of the worker ants of a species at 16:43 hrs 15 October 2021. Sophia CUBE HomeLab, Bhulabhai Desai Road, South Mumbai mcarunan
Job rhythm of the worker ants disturbed by the ruler placed, at 16:47 hrs 15 October 2021. Sophia CUBE HomeLab, Bhulabhai Desai Road, South Mumbai mcarunan

1 Like