Archives of CUBE Context 2 Curriculum what’s app group discussion of the Month of October 2021

1st October 12.00 am to 2nd October 2021 9.30 pm

History of Science is a well known subject which as it operates today, traces the history of science as a separate entity cut out from society to specific discoveries and inventions in science, however J.D Bernal wrote voluminous book named Science in History (inverted connotation) which locates Science not something abstract from society but situates it into society and history, reveals its relationships and shows scientific progress across progresses in historical times…

A must read book for Student of Science…
https://ee.humanitarianresponse.info/view/89c3ba1b73b352dfcf047835d5b5f08f?instance_id=75f5b8db-fef3-45c7-be3b-0e37f86d0205

Purple Peepal sprouting observed by DurgaPrasad at Chembur at 0930 Oct 1.
Interesting. Reference? @Rahil Mudgal
Page 4 “Thorax. Scutum with narrow dark scales and 3 pairs of prominent small white spots”. Link: http://mosquito-taxonomic-inventory.info/sites/mosquito-taxonomic-inventory.info/files/Huang%201977_0.pdf
Aedes Vittatus Mosquito found in khalasiline, kanpur. Date: 1st october, 2021. It can be identified by the four dots on it upper thorax region. Time: 10.45 AM. Picture By. Rahil
Aedes Vittatus Mosquito found in khalasiline, kanpur. Date: 1st october, 2021. It can be identified by the four dots on it upper thorax region. Time: 10.45 AM. Picture By. Rahil

From the Vault of CUBE Ranchi
12-03-2019
~2 years 9 months ago

Objective: To isolate soil Nematode
Ismail Yasir of CUBE Ranchi prepared something like this to isolate soil Nematode.
@Anshu Kadam (Nematodes) @Bivas Nag Cube @Batul Pipewala Kolkata @Shivam CUBE NEMATODE
and others…
:+1::+1::+1:Reference please
Page 4 “Thorax. Scutum with narrow dark scales and 3 pairs of prominent small white spots”. Link: http://mosquito-taxonomic-inventory.info/sites/mosquito-taxonomic-inventory.info/files/Huang%201977_0.pdf
:ok_hand::ok_hand:please describe the set up
Our College is hosting celebration of World Fungus day tomorrow
Program starts at 9.30 am onwards.
Please register to attend

1/10/21.fresh cardamine plant .plant brought from Munnar introduced to Kozhikode Kerala. it is the close relative of the powerful model system Arabidopsis thaliana. Belongs to the mustard family.CUBE Home lab Kozhikode Kerala.

Date:1/10/21.young cardaminr plant CUBE home lab Kozhikode Kerala.
Date:1/10/21.seedpods of cardamine. seedpods containing ~15seeds

VIDEOS SHARED BY SIDHY PP AT 9.06 AM
SLTT - I
Single line culture of fruit fly.
Started on 16 August 2021.
TRSV medium prepared on 15 /08/2021.

46 days old culture bottle have ~ 12 flies , 4 pupae , 0 larva on 01/10/2021.

Immediate objective: Maintain the single line culture stock by transferring the flies to fresh medium.
Short term objectives :

1.Family level identification.
2. Conduct experiments based on observations and hypothesis.
3. Understand the life span of fruit fly.

Long term objectives :

1.Genus and Species level identification.
2. Olfactory sensitivity test.
By Sidhy.P.P , CUBE S N College, Nattika.
SLTT - H1
Transferred ~20 flies from SLTT-H on 04/09/2021. TRSV medium prepared on 03/09/2021.

01/10/2021 (27 th day) : ~ 15 flies , 8 pupae , 0 larva.

By Sidhy.P.P , CUBE S N College, Nattika.
Ants carrying their food. Date:2/10/21 ,time10:25, shaharuban sn cube nattika.
What do u’ll cubists do after getting Fruitflies in the culture…? Do u’ll remove the cotton and let Fruitflies fly away… or keep the culture bottle or study any other objective?
Plz give me some suggestions

Date - 2 October 2021
Location - St.inez panjim homelab
Data collector - Seema Suthar
[MHSS CUBE GOA]
𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐦𝐬 ?
𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐟𝐢𝐜 𝐧𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 ?

location- St.Inez Panajim Goa.
timing of video- 7:43pm
data of video- 29 Sept 21…
I found second spieces of oxalis
When are you planning to transfer these flies to fresh medium bottles? @Sidhy Kerala Drosophila
Please take close up photos of wings of flies from these bottle after transferring them to fresh bottles. Plenty of wings should be there.
Is it not a good idea to post short videos for getting convinced of your claim? @Shahruban CUBE
Don’t you want to see whether the flies you trapped from your home are the Nobel winning model systems, called Drosophila melanogaster?
Why don’t you make a guess? Please observe more closely? Please ask yourself some questions.

Do you have mosquitoes at Inez, Panaji? @Seema CUBE
Please give reference whenever making claims @Janhvi Deshmukh
[12:37 PM, 10/2/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Please give a essential information. @Janhvi Deshmukh
[12:38 PM, 10/2/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Is not references important when making claims? @Janhvi Deshmukh
You studied activity pattern of fruitflies on tomato and predicted that flies must be sleeping at night that’s why they didnt came . Right ? You must have thought something like this

Why not continue with that objective when flies are in the bottle ?
What would you like to study with your flies in the bottle ?

Which topic of your subject do you like can we find if we can use these flies to solve the questions of your subject ?

Which subject do you like ?

@Arunan HBSCE
Can they be mosquito larvae ?
Yes they look very similar to Mosquito larvae! This is a breeding site for mosquitoes! Please discard the water which is accumulated. In this. @Seema CUBE @Janhvi Deshmukh
Collecting fresh mosquitoes | PEARG in the field – PEARG Mosquito larvae movement is like this. And it seems pretty similar to the Organisms that you have in your pot . @Seema CUBE what do you think? @Janhvi Deshmukh @Aastha Ahuja Cube @Gaurangi CUBE @Hina Mudgal Kanpur CUBE @Arunan HBSCE
Shouldn’t we add salt / oil to kill these larvae

They will complete their life cycle and convert into mosquito and can become agents to carry several disease causing microorganisms
Can we predict from the movement or from their appearance that which specie larvae can they be ?
Yes, they are larvae of Aedes.
Yes Sir
[3:17 PM, 10/2/2021] Arunan HBSCE: How? Evidence? @Dr. Sarita kumar Delhi CUBE
[3:18 PM, 10/2/2021] Arunan HBSCE: In that case, let’s plan @Seema CUBE
Yes I hv seen the fruitflies in bottle to b less active at night…
I’ll try to observe them more carefully today if some of them r active or all r sleeping…
[3:27 PM, 10/2/2021] Seema CUBE: Oh ys :dizzy_face: U r right!
[3:28 PM, 10/2/2021] Seema CUBE: What doee salt/oil do that they affect their lifecycle ? @Aastha Ahuja Cube
Aedes larvae have a typical wriggling movement. The respiratory siphon at the end of abdomen is distinct. These generally try to aggregate in the corners or bottom of the container and move vigorously towards the water surface to breathe.

Anopheles larvae have negligible siphon and they are generally seen lying parallel at the water surface.

While Culex show a slower movement and they often hang to the water surface with the help of comparatively larger siphon.
OK why I think salt will kill the larvae that is because of osmosis :- let’s take an example -

You remember the time when your mother would soak resin / kishmish or any cereal in water, what happens is that at that time water goes into the resin and why that happens is because water content is less inside the resin and more outside the resin that movement of water into the resin is osmosis

Now you may also remember that we read in textbook that if we increase the solute / salt in the solution of resin to a level that it is more when compared to that of the solute inside the resin now since the solute is more in the environment we call it hypertonic solution where resin is kept and in that hypertonic solution water is less when compared to water inside …
What happen to onion or cucumber slices when we add salt …
Water should come out of the onion or cucumber I think
Reason ?
[3:55 PM, 10/2/2021] Seema CUBE: Yes den they will surely shrink and die…
This concept happens only in those cases wherein org lay eggs in water rt?
[3:59 PM, 10/2/2021] Seema CUBE: Yes agreed :100:
I think that is the science of making pickles. This way veg is preserved for long.
How can salt help in preserving pickles?
It prevents growth of bacteria
Maybe no even if we add salt to the larvae of butterfly whose egg is not laid in water rather on leaves then also the salt on larvae would cause the water to come out of its body and the larvae would die
Salt dissolves out the water, that decrease the water availability to the microorganisms, that prevent them from growing. Sugar also act in a similar manner.
What abt in case of Fruitfly larvae?
Butterfly larvae (catterpiller) have a outter well defined covering that protect them, salt render harmless.
Fruitfly larvae like to be in liquid media for their motility, they might consume the salt in media and die, which will not happen in catterpillers
I think it would die but do we really want to prove it :face_with_hand_over_mouth:no let’s not kill it
They look like mosquito larvae to me @Seema CUBE
I think salt itself can also kill the microorganisms

Salt is nacl right and if we increase ions then they can be harmful for the microorganisms I am not able to explain it now I don’t know why I am thinking of the ions required to maintain the potential of cell membrane maybe that potential will get harmed

I may not know how salt itself can be harmful of microorganism? If any one has some idea help please …
[4:38 PM, 10/2/2021] +91 98297 80892: I think that due to increase in salt concentration outside the cell due to which the cell will loose its water due to osmosis
[4:39 PM, 10/2/2021] +91 98297 80892: So this decrease in water concentration will be harmful
Microbes really prefer to grow on substances with good water content.(water activity scientific term applied here- mesure of water available to organism). Wonder why microbes generally dont spoil biccuits easily, but can mildly spoil curry, and greatly spoil milk, kept outside for same time.
Why is salt water gargling advice when there is "GALLE MEIN KHICHKICH":speaking_head:
[4:45 PM, 10/2/2021] Aastha Ahuja Cube: Ok only osmosis is the concept behind using salt water in all these cases
[4:45 PM, 10/2/2021] Aastha Ahuja Cube: And salt itself is not doing anything to these organisms
No, before even osmosis take place that can kill organisms, organisms are not given a chance to grow by reducing the water content. On a raw tomato organisms are present but dont grow, but start growing as soon as the inner part is exposed (spoil a damaged one)
Interesting @Janhvi Deshmukh I am more interested to know why are they sleeping at at 12 pm?
Are they really sleeping? @Sunita Chahar CUBE @Arunan HBSCE
From the Archive of CUBE Ranchi
Date-08-03-2019

The snails would crawl up to the lid and fall from the lid upside down, breaking their shells ultimately. To prevent the shell damage, I had placed 3 layers of banana leaves at the bottom of the glass container that I had in college, so that even if they fall, they don’t damage their shells.
Later, I realized that it was more tedious to clean the container placing the layers of banana leaves.
It picture I click in morning @Lakshmy PJ CUBE

2nd October 2021 9.30 pm to 3rd October 2021 9. 30 pm
Uttar pradesh
Rahil mudgal cube kanpur
Vyom gupta
Sorry for that we’ll update soon!
Please give all essential information like Location, Date, Time, Name of Data Collector along with each photo @Janhvi Deshmukh
Please give all essential information like Location, Date, Time, Name of Data Collector along with each photo @Janhvi Deshmukh
[9:28 AM, 10/3/2021] Seema CUBE: Yes ma’am… I hd noticed the mosquitoes too before cleaning it ysterday…

Date of photograph- 2nd oct
Timing of photograph - 3:39 pm
Location - St.Inez Panjim,Goa
[MHSS CUBE GOA]
[9:36 AM, 10/3/2021] Seema CUBE: 1 𝐾𝑜𝑒𝑙 𝑏𝑖𝑟𝑑 𝑠𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑎𝑡 𝑆𝑡.𝐼𝑛𝑒𝑧, 𝑃𝑎𝑛𝑗𝑖𝑚 𝐺𝑜𝑎…
𝐷𝑎𝑡𝑒 - 3 𝐎𝐜𝐭 2021
𝑇𝑖𝑚𝑖𝑛𝑔 - 8:30 𝑎𝑚
𝑙𝑜𝑐𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 - 𝑆𝑡.𝐼𝑛𝑒𝑧 𝑃𝑎𝑛𝑎𝑗𝑖𝑚 𝐺𝑜𝑎
𝐷𝑎𝑡𝑎 𝑐𝑜𝑙𝑙𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑜𝑟 - 𝑆𝑒𝑒𝑚𝑎 𝑆𝑢𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑟
[𝑀𝐻𝑆𝑆 𝐶𝑈𝐵𝐸 𝐺𝑂𝐴]
How do you know that it is a Koel?
𝑏𝑐𝑜𝑧 𝑖𝑡 𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑘𝑠 𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑒 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑘𝑜𝑒𝑙 𝑏𝑖𝑟𝑑 :woman_shrugging:
I mean like for any other identification we look at organisms morphological characters like here its feathers and all…
Though i cudnt see red eyes if it had as pic was clicked from far…

Comparing it with pics seen on google I wud say it was koel only
https://images.app.goo.gl/s8bEWzndP5U2ycip6
Which mosquitoes do you think these could be?@Seema CUBE
By zooming in the photo we can identify that, it is aedes mosquito and atleast 7 mosquito are seen here. @Seema CUBE
Aedes mosquito acc to the identification process told by @Gaurangi CUBE & @Abhijeet Singh in cubeshala discussion…
Yess they are aedes

MiCO was expressed in all tested organs and was highly expressed especially in the leaves and stems of nonflowering branches, but its expression decreased in flowering branches. The expression level of MiCO significantly increased during the transition from vegetative to reproductive growth.

MiCO was expressed in all tested organs and was highly expressed especially in the leaves and stems of nonflowering branches, but its expression decreased in flowering branches. The expression level of MiCO significantly increased during the transition from vegetative to reproductive growth.
[11:29 AM, 10/3/2021] Priti Kanade: Variation in flowering and fruit set among indigenous mango varieties from Malda and Murshidabad conserved as Field Gene Bank in Gurudas College, Kolkata, India Mitu De1, Subhasree Dutta2, Gautam Kumar Pahari3, Sayak Ganguli4, Susanta Ray5, and Santi Ranjan Dey6* 1Associate Professor, Department of Botany, Gurudas College, Kolkata 700054, India.

http://ijalsr.org/index.php/journal/article/download/74/66
The flowering phenomenon in mango is a complex one. Normally, it crops heavily in one year (on year) and bears less or no crop the following year (off year). Again, it yields heavily the next year. These alternate bearer fruit cultivars present a serious economic problem to fruit growers in West Bengal. Fruit set in Mango is a varietal character, depending upon several factors such as time of flowering, sex ratio, efficient cross-pollination and intensity of flower drop. Varieties differ from one another in these respects and this leads to varying fruit set in different varieties. Understanding the cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in regular and irregular bearing fruit varieties will assist in the development of flowering, identification of regulatory regions and factors implicated for regularity in bearing in mango. Transcriptomic data could be utilized for the synthesis of SSR and SNPs markers. Varieties both alternate and regular bearing need to be identified before the transcription profiling. In this investigation the variation among the 25 mango varieties conserved as field gene bank in the college campus of Gurudas College was assessed.
[11:57 AM, 10/3/2021] Priti Kanade: Number of syllables in cuckoo Cuculus canorus calls: A test using a citizen science project
Yanina Benedetti, Karolina Slezak, […]Piotr Tryjanowski

Recent studies revealed that the call of the common cuckoo Cuculus canorus has more inter-individual than intra-individual variation and that the number of syllables depends on environmental conditions, but also the presence of male and female conspecifics. However, still very little is known about how song varies at a global scale, especially considering the wide distribution of this species across most of Europe and Asia. Xeno-canto.org is a vocalization repository for birdsong. We used xeno-canto.org as a data source for investigating the variables that affect the number of syllables in cuckoo calls at a large spatial scale. At a very broad geographical scale, the number of syllables in cuckoo calls predicted bird species richness. Additionally, female calls were associated with shorter males calls, and there was a positive correlation between the interaction between female calls and the number of host races parasitized by the cuckoo. These findings confirm that intraspecific and interspecific interactions significantly affect the number of syllables in cuckoo calls, and both environmental variables and biotic interactions should be considered in future studies of vocalizations in cuckoos. Last but not least, we demonstrated that a citizen science project is a useful source for ecological studies at large spatial scales.
What’s the white colour thing on this caterpillar…?
@Janhvi Deshmukh , @Maswood CUBE

𝐶𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑝𝑖𝑙𝑙𝑎𝑟 𝑠𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑜𝑛 𝑐𝑢𝑟𝑟𝑦 𝑙𝑒𝑎𝑣𝑒𝑠 …
𝐷𝑎𝑡𝑒 - 3 𝐎𝐜𝐭 2021
𝑇𝑖𝑚𝑖𝑛𝑔 - 1:39 𝑝𝑚
𝑙𝑜𝑐𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 - 𝑆𝑡.𝐼𝑛𝑒𝑧 𝑃𝑎𝑛𝑎𝑗𝑖𝑚 𝐺𝑜𝑎
𝐷𝑎𝑡𝑎 𝑐𝑜𝑙𝑙𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑜𝑟 - 𝑆𝑒𝑒𝑚𝑎 𝑆𝑢𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑟
[𝑀𝐻𝑆𝑆 𝐶𝑈𝐵𝐸 𝐺𝑂𝐴]
Can we have some references too @Rahil Mudgal, @Gaurangi CUBE so that we can have a stant on our point that it’s Aedes mosquito’s larvae.
Mango Tree Started Flowering @ Muthalamada, Palakkad, Kerala…10.6358° N, 76.7987° E… Date: 3.10.2021… Time: 1.35pm… by Nisy Prasad, Sree Narayana Guru College, Coimbatore.
Can you observe the white stripes on the mosquito clearly? @Seema CUBE in the photograph it’s not much clear!

And I hope you discarded the water that got collected in that container as it can used by mosquito for laying eggs! Right? @Seema CUBE ?
Aedes - Wikipedia “Aedes mosquitoes are visually distinctive because they have noticeable black and white markings on their bodies and legs. Unlike most other mosquitoes, they are active and bite only during the daytime. The peak biting periods are early in the morning and in the evening before dusk”
Yes there were white stripes on the mosquito…
And Yes! the water has been discarded out…
Mango Tree With Flushing Leaves… Muthalamada, Palakkad, Kerala… 10.6358° N, 76.7987° E… Date: 3.102021… Time: 1.40pm… by Nisy Prasad. Sree Narayana Guru College, Coimbatore
Can anyone help me in identifying this flower name!!?
(there’s caterpillar also on it…)
𝑃𝑖𝑐 𝑐𝑙𝑖𝑐𝑘𝑒𝑑 𝑏𝑦 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑚𝑦 𝑓𝑟𝑛𝑑
𝑙𝑜𝑐𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 -At Kudal MIDC , Sindhudurg
It’s captured on 2nd October 2021 around 6:20…

3rd October 2021 9. 30 pm to 4th October 2021 9. 30 pm
[10/2, 11:14] Abhigyan ICT: Favorites for the Nobel Prize in Medicine:

1. C. David Allis and Michael Grunstein for histone modification and gene expression and maybe a third share to Azim Surani for genomic imprinting.

2. Ulrich Hartl and Arthur Horwich for chaperones. The third place could be kept vacant in honour of Susan Lindquist, the Queen of Chaperones, but if they also award it for protein folding, then Peter Walter will be up there on the stage.

3. Long shot but I’d bet for sensory transduction, something that hasn’t been awarded in history. David Julius for temperature/pain transduction, Ardem Patapoutian for mechanotransduction, and Jim Huspeth for hearing.
    [10/2, 11:14] Abhigyan ICT: Additionally, its worth noting that few people whose research falls in the biological realms, have a shot at winning a Nobel Prize in Chemistry:

4. Marvin Carruthers et al. for DNA synthesis.

5. Harry Gray and Stephen Lippard for bioinorganic chemistry.
    [10/2, 13:55] Arunan MC: How about some of Indian origin?
    [10/2, 14:44] Abhigyan ICT: Except for Azim Surani, can’t really think of others. Although a prize that could very well happen sometime this decade is to Balasubramanian and Klenerman for genomic sequencing. They got ther Breakthrough this year and a Nobel isn’t out of reach.
    CUBE HOMELAB ULWE UPDATE
    OBJECTIVE :- To culture moina in homelab.
    On 14th sept I brought approximately 200 moinas from @drishtant in 2 bottles. I labelled them as bottle 1 and 2 and mentioned the date as well.
    On 15th September, I made 2 sub-culture and named them Moina bottle 3 and moina bottle 4. Approximately 50 moina from MB1 and MB2 transferred to MB3 and MB4.
    I’ve been feeding all the 4 bottle cultures with 1 drop of milk on Alternate days.

I forgot to feel moina on 30th Sept so because of that I saw slight decrease in number of moina on 1st October.
OBSERVATIONS on 1st Oct:-
MB1- 20 Moina approximately
MB2- 25-30 Moina approximately
MB3- 30 Moina approximately
MB4- 30 Moina approximately.

TODAY’S UPDATE:-
I have good number of moina in each bott…
MOINA BOTTLE 1(MB1):- approximately 40 moina.
MOINA BOTTLE 2(MB2): approximately 40 moina.
MOINA BOTTLE 3(MB3):- 40-45 Moina approximately.
MOINA BOTTLE 4(MB4):- We are not able to see I think but this culture has alot a baby moina small in size :grin:. This culture has approximately 60-70 moina.
:tada: Heartiest congratulations :tada: to all the CUBists for all the hard work and amazing presentations :grinning:

We had announced the Awards in this CUBE NATIONAL MEET 2021 as well as in STEM NATIONAL MEET 2020

The “e-copy” of the Awards will be shared with all the Awardees, I will be sharing a form to get the correct spelling of your Name, Current affiliation, and Mail Id. Thereafter, the copy will send through mail.

Thank you soo much, everyone, we are very much looking forward to seeing your participation and involvement in CUBE :grinning:
:clap:t2::clap:t2::tada::tada::confetti_ball::confetti_ball::partying_face::partying_face: congratulations to all the Cubists.
Congratulations :sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:
Congratulations :clap::clap::clap::partying_face::partying_face:
Please give essential details like Objective, Location, Date, Time, Name of Data collector with each photo @Abhijeet Singh
What exactly is your objective?
What is your further plan of work with collaborators? @Abhijeet Singh
Congratulations to all the Cubists​:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:
Today’s update !
One fruitfly died in the culture bottle ? what can b d reason!?

Date - 4 oct 21
location - St. inez panjim
[mhss cube Goa]
??
I hd also seen this yesterday on the plant … wat do we call dis exactly, anyone?

Location - St.Inez Panjim Goa
(MHSS CUBE GOA)
Looks like mealy bug.How big is it?
That is the colour of that caterpillar . Did u find it on curry leaf plant :thinking:?
This body colour of the caterpillar is similar to that of bird dropping.

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/sp/603/Papilio-polytes
[12:35 PM, 10/4/2021] Seema CUBE: Very small in size aprox 1.5 cm
[12:36 PM, 10/4/2021] Seema CUBE: What’s mealy bug ma’am? What does this bug do? They can move ? here on my plant it’s not moving…
[12:37 PM, 10/4/2021] Seema CUBE: Yes on curry leaves
One of it’s characteristic is that it has hard body …
Yes mealybugs can move.

Alstonia tree 1. Sprouting:Yes fruiting:Yes. Flowering: Yes. Temperature:. 32°c 24°c Latitude:20.7453°N. Langitude:78.6022°E. Data collector: janhvi deshmukh. Janhvi deshmukh homelab bajaj collage of science wardha Maharashtra
Flowering :grinning:
Janhvi deshmukh homelab bajaj collage of science wardha
Congratulations :partying_face::partying_face: So many flies in it

When did you made this bottle ? How many days passed ?

And is it mixed culture of flies I mean did you transfer 5-6 flies from trap bottle directly

Or this fly culture is from single female fly ?
Which butterfly / moth caterpillar can this be ?
Why don’t you collect this caterpillar and feed it till it becomes a fly ? It will become more clear as to which butterfly this caterpillar belongs to
It’s a butterfly cattelpiller @Seema CUBE may be the butterfly started there lifecycle changes the colour may be after some days devolop into pupae… could you try to check start your homelab with new model organism
Awesome!

Is this fruiting? Where are they? I have never seen these fruits? Can you highlight them?
What is Genomic imprinting
Epigenetics shows that gene expression undergoes changes more complex than modifications in the DNA sequence; it includes the environmental influence on the gametes before conception. Humans inherit two alleles from mother and father, both are functional for the majority of the genes, but sometimes one is turned off or “stamped” and doesn’t show in offspring, that gene is imprinted. Imprinting means that that gene is silenced, and gene from other parent is expressed. The mechanisms for imprinting are still incompletely defined, but they involve epigenetic modifications that are erased and then reset during the creation of eggs and sperm. Genomic imprinting is a process of silencing genes through DNA methylation. The repressed alle…
Yes sir
Since it is on curry leaf let us check if it is common mormon Caterpillar as it is the host plant for this butterfly @Seema CUBE
Even I think it is common Mormon caterpillar :sweat_smile:
No sir there is no fruits :sweat_smile: my mistake
Ok ok :sweat_smile: update them in bit.ly/seasonomics as well
Mixed culture…

Media was prepared on 19th Sept …

5 Fruitflies were transferred in trsv media bottle on 22 nd Sept…
I had got new Fruitflies on 29th Sept after a week…

Today there’s one dead Fruitfly in it…

Seema Suthar
Mhss CUBE GOA
Yes sir
[1:38 PM, 10/4/2021] Seema CUBE: No idea😶
[1:39 PM, 10/4/2021] Seema CUBE: I trapped it butt
What happened ?
[1:39 PM, 10/4/2021] Aastha Ahuja Cube: Try searching about common Mormon lifecycle @Seema CUBE
See vishupriya helped you with reference go through this once
[1:39 PM, 10/4/2021] Aastha Ahuja Cube: Vishnupriya *
[1:40 PM, 10/4/2021] Aastha Ahuja Cube: But it ran away ? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
[1:42 PM, 10/4/2021] Seema CUBE: (a hyperlapse video) I hd trapped it and i thought it wouldn’t come out of this cup …at nyt it was der in the cup only… but in the morn it disappeared…:no_mouth::zipper_mouth_face:
[1:42 PM, 10/4/2021] Seema CUBE: Yea🤥
:joy:it’s too fast did you serch for it why don’t you use a transperent box @Seema CUBE
[1:44 PM, 10/4/2021] Seema CUBE: Yes… it’s Indian common mormon
[1:46 PM, 10/4/2021] Seema CUBE: Ya it moves so slow so i took video in hyperlapse mode to see it’s movement … actually i wanted to chk how it eats leaves but cudn’t get it …
Nxt tym I’ll surely trap im transparent box :zap:
Ok but try to search for it :joy:@Seema CUBE because it’s running in your home
Try tying a cloth over the mouth of the box don’t make it completely closed
You can take the plant indoors on which you found the caterpillar …and let the caterpillar feed on it…
I tried feeding my caterpillar in a container where it refused to eat anything…then released it back on my curry leaves plant …where it formed a pupa…
The caterpillar eats alot…you can see the condition of the plant …
Ohh :open_mouth::clap::clap:
What’s the IST time?
3pm
Thanks!

BREAKING NEWS
The Nobel Assembly at the Karolinska Institutet has today decided to award the 2021 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine jointly to David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian “for their discoveries of receptors for temperature and touch.”

Our ability to sense heat, cold and touch is essential for survival and underpins our interaction with the world around us. In our daily lives we take these sensations for granted, but how are nerve impulses initiated so that temperature and pressure can be perceived? This question has been solved by this year’s Nobel Prize laureates.

David Julius utilised capsaicin, a pungent compound from chilli peppers that induces a burning sensation, to identify a sensor in the nerve endings of the skin that responds to heat. Ardem Patapoutian used pressure-sensitive cells to discover a novel class of sensors that respond to mechanical stimuli in the skin and internal organs. These breakthrough discoveries launched intense research activities leading to a rapid increase in our understanding of how our nervous system senses heat, cold, and mechanical stimuli.
The 2021 Nobel Prize laureates in physiology or medicine identified critical missing links in our understanding of the complex interplay between our senses and the environment.
David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian!
Ants seem to destroy my garden. Are they really destroying my vegetables??

@Seethalakshmy CUBE
@Shrudhiga CUBE @Vishnupriya CUBE and others…

The ants are probably farming mealybugs( mutualism) and feeding on the nectar of the flowers …
comparison
Sprouting: No
Flowering: No
Date:9/9/21
Time: 5:25pm
Temperature:30°C/24°C
Latitude: 10.419129
Longitude: 76.1522749

Sprouting: Yes
Flowering: No
Date:4/10/21
Time: 2:30pm
Temperature:30°C/24°C
Data collector: Seethalakshmi
Mangotree : 3. Started sprouting new leaves. Temperature : 30°C/24°C.
Date: 4/10/21
Time: 2:30Pm.
Data collector: Seethalakshmi
Why do you think they are showing mutualism with Mealybugs and not with the Aphids?
David Julius & Ardem patapoutian ,medicine & physiology !got that right sir🙌🏻 @Abhigyan ICT @Arunan HBSCE
:+1::ok_hand::tada:
the 2021 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine

jointly to

David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian

for their discoveries of receptors for temperature and touch

Do we mean this is the best discovery in physiology and medicine​:face_with_monocle::flushed:
Earthworm, Snails, Drosophila, Phyllanthus all our model Organisms asked this question…:snail::herb::worm:
:clap:t2::clap:t2:
[4:41 PM, 10/4/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Please give essential information like Objective of the work, Location, Date, Name of Data Collector and Plan of Work, with each photo for others to collaborate and make comments. @Seema CUBE
[4:47 PM, 10/4/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Congratulations @abhigyan CUBE ICT, Mumbai for prediction of Nobel Prize 2021😇
Congratulations! This is impressive.:partying_face:

Can someone explain what exactly have they discovered about the temperature and touch sensing?
[10/4, 16:03] Pawan Sharma CUBE BLiSS :

My heartfelt thanks to Dr. Arunan sir for repeatedly inviting me to the National Meeting…
I could attend only two presentations, the one on snails and the other on the zebra fish, that too only partially…but I have been so thrilled and delighted to have attended these. Both the presentations were really rich in relevant scientific information, communicated so lucidly with professional expertise by our young colleagues…what made these presentations even more valuable were the queries raised by curious minds and the discussion that followed… It was a rich intellectual fare and I still feel intoxicated by the experience…It is personally regrettable to me that I could not attend the National Meeting in its entirety…the loss is entirely mine! …I shall try to make it up by listening to the presentations available as the youtube recordings…
Heartiest Congratulations to each and every one of the CUBE fraternity for making this event so successful, so meaningful and so valuable…
Once again, thank you Arunan. Now I know why you were so persistent with the invitation…:pray::pray::pray:
-pawan sharma

[10/4, 16:04] Pawan Sharma CUBE BLiSS:. My heartfelt thanks to Dr. Arunan sir for repeatedly inviting me to the National Meeting…
I could attend only two presentations, the one on snails and the other on the zebra fish, that too only partially…but I have been so thrilled and delighted to have attended these. Both the presentations were really rich in relevant scientific information, communicated so lucidly with professional expertise by our young colleagues…what made these presentations even more valuable were the queries raised by curious minds and the discussion that followed… It was a rich intellectual fare and I still feel intoxicated by the experience…It is personally regrettable to me that I could not attend the National Meeting in its entirety…the loss is entirely mine! …I shall try to make it up by listening to the presentations available as the youtube recordings…
Heartiest Congratulations to each and every one of the CUBE fraternity for making this event so successful, so meaningful and so valuable…

Once again, thank you Arunan. Now I know why you were so persistent with the invitation…:pray::pray::pray:
-pawan sharma

HOW TOUCH ON SNAIL TENTACLE WORKS

Discoveries of receptors for temperature and touch

The 2021 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine is awarded to David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian for their discoveries of thermal and mechanical transducers. The question of how we sense the physical world through somatic sensation has fascinated humankind for millennia. During the first half of the 20th century, it became clear that temperature and pressure activate different types of nerves in the skin. However, the identity of the molecular transducers responsible for detecting and converting heat, cold and touch into nerve impulses in the sensory nervous system remained a mystery until the discoveries awarded with this year’s Nobel Prize. David Julius wished to identify the cellular target of capsaicin, the pungent ingredient of chili peppers, as he believed this could provide fundamental insights into mechanisms of pain. He used a cDNA library from sensory neurons in a functional screen to look for a gene that could confer capsaicin sensitivity to cells that were normally unresponsive.

Do snail group members yell out we got the Nobel Prize? Why? Why not? @Anjani Kumar Kashyap CUBE @Manasi CUBE and others
Yes we actually yell out and it’s time for celebration by asking more questions!
Please post drawing of neurons on snail photo and others. @Manasi CUBE @Anjani Kumar Kashyap CUBE
Drawing of neurons on snail.

Screenshot of one of the CUBE chatShaala discussion on Snail

How does signal generates and transmit from tentacle to ganglion?

Neurobiology of how does snail respond to touch receptor- A discovery which has got NOBEL PRIZE 2021.
Close up view of tentacular ganglion
This discovery should have got Nobel prize 50yrs back, neuronal signal transduction, action potential and role of receptors is know since then…
Coz I saw only mealy bugs in the video …
Observation of colouration of trees during Autumn Manchester, North West England:53.4808° N, 2.2426° W
4/10/2021
8:00 BST
Sanya Panda
Wow… What is the name of these trees?
[6:03 PM, 10/4/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Please join. The Nobel Prediction winner Abhigyan is here with us, in a chat.
[6:08 PM, 10/4/2021] Arunan HBSCE: Somatic sensation has fascinated humankind for millennia. In an attempt to explain how we react to heat, the 17th century philosopher René Descartes depicted that particles of fire pulled a thread between the skin and brain [1]. In the 1880s, distinct sensory spots on the skin were shown to react to specific stimuli, such as touch, heat or cold, indicating that different stimuli activate different types of nerves [2, 3]. Three previous Nobel Prizes in Physiology or Medicine have significantly advanced our understanding of the somatic sensory nervous system. In 1906, Camillo Golgi and Santiago Ramón y Cajal received the Nobel Prize for their work on the structure of the nervous system, which included an anatomical description of the somatosensory system.https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/2021/advanced-information/
Please come and join Chatshaala.Nobel prize 2021 Touch receptor topic is being discussed now in connection with Snails.
Added Shwetha Araleshwar from MHSS CUBE GOA…
she’s very much interested in doing experiments and learning more abt wat we jst read in txtbooks and wanna also participate in chatshala discussion…
welcome to CUBE @Shwetha :innocent:
Thank you so much seema
Ohh… that’s thewhy the caterpillar wasn’t eating any leaves that i offered later to it in a container…
But what can b the reason for not eating leaves in the container @Maswood CUBE ?
[8:39 AM, 10/5/2021] Dr. Sarita kumar Delhi CUBE: Caterpillars stop feeding before moulting or pupation. Please observe whether this is the case? Also, observe for how long it was not feeding.
[8:40 AM, 10/5/2021] Dr. Sarita kumar Delhi CUBE: Congratulations Abhigyan…:+1::clap:
Do you really mean *caterpillars refuse to feed on fresh leaves of host plants, supplied to them in a container outside the host plant? :face_with_monocle::upside_down_face: @Seema CUBE @Maswood CUBE
Please help others to understand your point by making relevant description @Aarushi Chitkara
Otherwise this looks like a text book description.

What is the relevance of this note, to yesterday’s Chatshaala discussion? @Aarushi Chitkara
I mean to say that’s what happened with my caterpillar…you can try tbh
Do you believe that a caterpillar would refuse to eat host plant leaves, once they are outside the plant? @Maswood CUBE
What’s the story behind this picture?
[9:27 AM, 10/5/2021] Sunita Chahar CUBE: I missed the discussion yesterday
[9:28 AM, 10/5/2021] Sunita Chahar CUBE: Congratulations Abhigyan​:+1:t2::+1:t2:
Do you think there are touch receptors in plants? @Sunita Chahar CUBE
[9:31 AM, 10/5/2021] Sunita Chahar CUBE: There were many more nominations, which look equally important. We must look into those also
[9:32 AM, 10/5/2021] Sunita Chahar CUBE: Mimosa pudica reacts to touch
[9:32 AM, 10/5/2021] Sunita Chahar CUBE: We should study the mechanism
In animals there are neurons and brain for reacting to environment but in plants what do they have ?
Is there a touch receptor in Mimosa plant?

Does it behave like the snail or the snail tentacle withdrawal, on touch?
Yes they do

4th October 2021 9. 30 pm to 5th October 9.30 pm

5th October 9.30 pm to 6th October 2021 9.30 pm

6th October 2021 9.30 pm to 7th October 2021 9.30 pm

7th October 2021 9.30 pm to 8th October 9.30 pm

8th October 9.30 pm to 9th October 9.30 pm

9th October 9.30 pm to 10th October 9.30 pm

10th October 9.30 pm to 11th October 9.30 pm

11th October 9.30 pm to 12th October 9.30 pm

12th October 9.30 pm to 12th October 9. 30 pm

12th October 9.30 pm to 13th October 9.30 pm

13th October 9.30 pm to 14th October 9.30pm