Building a Digital Microscope using a Webcam

A microscope magnifies small objects. It provides us the means to observer extremely small things that are not visibile to the naked eye.

History
The name “microscope” was coined by Giovanni Faber a German botanist.
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek is credited with the discovery of microorganisms. He used a simple microscope.
Robert Hooke is credited with discovering plant cells. Infact he coined the term “cells”. He used a compound microscope.
Leeuwenhoek’s simple microscope https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/leeuwen/leeuwmicrosm.jpg

“my work, which I’ve done for a long time, was not pursued in order to gain the praise I now enjoy, but chiefly from a craving after knowledge, which I notice resides in me more than in most other men. And therewithal, whenever I found out anything remarkable, I have thought it my duty to put down my discovery on paper, so that all ingenious people might be informed thereof.”

Antony van Leeuwenhoek. Letter of June 12, 1716

How do we convert a webcam into a microscope?

By inverting the lens.
Then building a stage.
Mounting the camera.

We make major assumptions here, because the maths in calculating numerous parameters in a compound lens is substantially involved. Ideally we should be doing the maths first and the making subsequently, in conformation to the maths. But for now, the proof of pudding will be in the making.

Our process will be

1. Opening the webcam
  2. Modifying the internal lens mount to accept an inverted lens
  3. Designing and building a simple stage
  4. Mounting the camera
  5. Creating a focus method
  6. Viewing specimen of interest
  7. One or more Challenges for the maker groups

Here is one such webcam scope
Iball-8Mp-Micro

Some images from the above microscope
https://stemgames.metastudio.org/uploads/default/original/1X/5671d343f21b17f1950fc43e2338156b230a751d.mp4 https://stemgames.metastudio.org/uploads/default/original/1X/ee73c606022fa44895fd6979ad44cac183e308cc.mp4

2 Likes

Creatures of the micron world.

3 Likes

Stem workshop Day 2

23/7/2019

Tuesday

8:00 am

Jaipur, India

Stem Workshop

Day 2 Activity/Challenge 1

Aim:-

To make a digital microscope using a webcam

Procedure and Observation:-

We were given a webcam and lenses. We made a stand using cardboard to hold the modified webcam and the slide. The stand was supported by a three layer base with a vertical board which had a hole in its centre. To this board, we attached another piece of cardboard in order to add rigidity and support. To hold the microscope, we used two equally cut pieces of cardboard with two holes.

Image.jpeg

As for the microscope, we inverted the optics to convert thr webcam into a digital microscope. The inverted optics turned out not to be focussing very well. It took us rather long to make the optics focus better and complete the microscope.

4 Likes

23/07/2019

Monday

Stem workshop

Day 2 Challenge 2

Aim:-

To modify a web cam into a digital microscope

Procedure and result:-

Today we had a challenge of making a microscope out of a web cam. Though at first we all were really confused on how to approach it, we eventually found out a way. We started the progress by first making a stand for the microscope. First we made a three layered base on which we attached a vertical board with a hole in the centre. On this board we attached another piece of cardboard cut in a shape to support the microscope. To hold the microscope we decided upon using two equally cut pieces of cardboard with two holes to fix the microscope.

After the stand was completely build we had to start with converting the webcam into a microscope-our main challenge. To build the microscope we inverted the optics but a problem we faced was that the inverted optics were not focusing very well. This took us a lot of time to finally make the optics focus to complete the microscope . But now this microscope is now completely functional.

Image.jpeg

2 Likes

2 Likes

We collected old and decaying leaves from the bushes near the CP Block. We left this sample for a day with a drop of milk. This a video from when we observed it with the help of a microscope.WIN_20190724_09_28_14_Pro

2 Likes

Plants lack muscles. Then, how do they move (as in upward movement during growth)?

3 Likes

Why do we need to build a complicated stand to hold the digital microscope when we can easily do the same with our bare hands?..

3 Likes

Who invented the first microscope ?

How will we bend the polycarbonate sheet without enough heat

2 Likes

@raveenaprateek
There is no way in which we can bend the pc sheet without heat as this is the only way to do so without breaking it. As an alternative, you can cut two seperate pieces to act as sides and glue them to the main structure.

3 Likes

We cannot hold the microscope for a very long time in our hands as our hand is not very steady

:thinking:This is a rather controversial topic with many people claiming to have invented this highly useful product. It is most probably Zacharias Jansen.

4 Likes

Today, we continued building our digital microscope. We added support to our stand using Polycarbonate sheet. We tried to heat it in order to bend its corners but we were unsuccessful due to poor heating. As an alternative, we decided to cut two different strips of breadth 1 cm which we finally stuck on both the sides of the sheet. This acted as the stage for our apparatus.

3 Likes

What is a foldscope?
Who invented the foldscope?
What is a digital microscope?

1 Like

Today, we have finally build the digital microscope. In that we saw different kinds of organisms like micro worm and a bacteria.

1 Like

Phototropism (growing towards light) occurs because the tips of growing plant shoots contain a pigment that’s sensitive to light, especially blue light. When light shines on the shoot, it gets absorbed by the pigment (called phototropin), and that triggers the release of the plant hormone auxin, which makes cells grow.

2 Likes

Why do we need to build a stage for the slide as we can hold it in hand

2 Likes

As you said,

Our hands are not steady.

So, we hold the slide so perfectly as to be able to observe it for too long.

4 Likes

What is microscope?Why do we need a microscope

2 Likes