Can we use hydrogen as a fuel for automobiles by using water?

Please reply to this question

1 Like

What have you found on the subject?

1 Like

Hydrogen as a fuel is one of the cleanest Fuel,
Because the byproduct is only water, when hydrogen is combust with oxygen. But the problem is effeciency creating hydrogen by water require energy.

By electrolysis of water one can produce hydrogen.
But it need a setup for extraction of hydrogen and storage of hydrogen. Again in automobile hydrogen is needing in large amount, so we also need a compresser.

So in automobile it will compromise with:

Efficiency

Space

3 Likes

What other methods can be used to generate hydrogen?

Do hydrogen powered vehicles exist?

If they exist Which company is making them?

What is the process they use for generation, storage, use as fuel?

1 Like

Yes, the hydrogen powered vehicle exist

I think hundai and Toyota are already using this.
They confirm use hydrogen. But don’t know the exact process. Like there are two ways to use hydrogen.

Internal combustion

Fuel cell

They use hydrogen form fossil fuel I guess

2 Likes

Please provide references and links.
Here is one

2 Likes

The fuel cell use the hydrogen as fuel and generate electricity.
We have to find the source of hydrogen. As main question was producing hydrogen by water

2 Likes

Carbon Nano tubes. Can they be used for electrolysis since certain types of such nano sheets show extrordinary conductivity.

1 Like

Interesting!:+1::+1: I don’t know much about carbon nanotubes used for electrolysis. As I only know producing carbon nanotubes are supercostly. Let’s initiate a discussion and gather more information about carbon nanotubes.

2 Likes

SWCNT, MWCNT layered with chalcogenides placed on top of a water column.

Carbon Nanotubes!
I have never heard of them. What are they?
@jtd @Mandar

Did you lookup on the internet to know what they are? What is it in them that you could not understand?

1 Like

Yes, I did look up for Carbon Nanotubes on the Internet.
I thought it is something which one can see through the naked eyes, but as the name suggests, it seems that their size ranges in nanometres!

They are extremely light in weight, have high thermal conductivity, tensile strength, are chemically stable and also resistant to corrosion!
Reference for the above statement.

I didn’t get the relation between electrolysis and carbon nanotubes which @jtd was trying to draw.
This must be because my knowledge of electrolysis itself is corroded :grimacing: :sweat_smile:.

I understood that it has something to do with conductivity.

2 Likes

Electrolysis for hydrogen generation is not very effecient using conventional electrodes. Consequently the cost of production is higher than hydrocarbon fuels. This is due to the poor conductivity of water, gas bubbles on electrode. To overcome low conductivity strong acids are added to the water and the water heated. But this results in electrode corosion neccessitating the use of expensive platinum electrodes. Latest tech is close to bridging this cost gap by using solar and wind energy.
However carbon nano tubes are proving to be even better in H generation. The principle of operation is substantially different and relies on the extremely small gap between CNT walls and the ability of CNT to convert solar energy into very high tempratures. The coating of chalcogenides generate the electricity for the elctrolysis. This small gap causes electrostatic effects that change the behaviour of ions - in this case accelerates the ion flow - and is called the Debye length. This acceleration vastly improves the generation of H.

1 Like

From the above explanation and relating it to the main point of using hydrogen as a fuel for automobiles by using water, how far can this theory be practically thought of?
@jtd

Automobiles using hydrogen as fuel are already running in a number of places.
Canadian company Ballard Technologies is a hydrogen fuel cell maker with a few thousand heavy vehicles on the road.
The issue is cost effective production and storage of hydrogen and a cost effective fuel cell. So far production is not sufficiently effecient and the hydrogen atom leaks through almost any container. Fuel cells too are expensive but not by very much.

So, given competing tech of battery and super capacitor powered vehicles, one cannot say whether one or the other or both would be the standard in the near furture.

1 Like

The best estimate of costs per ton of carbon is $100000/- in today’s dollars. That would make Hydrogen generated from solar practically free, if emitters had to pay for the cleanup.

1 Like