Cardamine Seed Germination in CUBE Somaiya College Lab

Today(3RD July 2023) @Shraddha276 has passed on around 200 seeds of Cardamine which she had collected in March 2023 from her building garden in Panvel.:partying_face::smiley: So we will soon post the design for doing germination studies. Also, we will make 2 pots of cardamine plants in Somaiya CUBE LAB tomorrow. We will sow 10 seeds each in 2 pots. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar Mumbai, 3rd July 2023. Video: AbhijeetSingh.

1 Like

This is the closeup photograph of cardamine seeds shared by @Shraddha Cube from her building garden. The color is black and brown. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai, 4th July 2023. Photo: AbhijeetSingh.

2 Likes

Cardamine setup in CUBE Somaiya College Lab😃

I took 2 plastic cups and pierced holes at the base. Added soil till half of the Cup. Then i took approx 10 seeds and with the help of a brush I spread it around the soil surface. Added a very thin layer of soil again to just cover the seeds.Then i wet the soil by adding 100 ml tap water Labelled the cups as setup 1 and 2 with today’s date and wrote cardamine seeds for germination.

Objective:- To make a stock culture of Cardamine in Somaiya CUBE LAB.

Hypothesis: I expect 60% seed germination after 14 days(i.e. 2 weeks). Date: 4th July 2023, CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. Photo: AbhijeetSingh.

1 Like

Discussion in Context 2 Curriculum group:
[05/07, 10:23 am] Kiran Di: What only 60% germination :astonished::astonished:, is cardamine not a weed ? And that too you are expecting 60% germination in 14 days :flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:
[06/07, 8:03 am] Abhijeet Singh: Yes like last time when I did it i.e. in November 2021.

I got around 50+ seeds from HBCSE and on 3rd Nov 2021 i sowed them all in a single pot without making replicates.

Also i didn’t count the exact number of seeds sown but I took approx 50 cardamine seeds after discussions in the group.

This was my observation which I was able to retrieve from 19th Nov 2021:

:low_brightness:brought some seeds of Cardamine from HBCSE, Mumbai. I made an approximation that 40+ seedd are there. But when they all germinated I got to know there were 50+ seeds! (Today there are 58 seedlings in total)
:low_brightness: sowed them on 3rd November and on 11th day(14th Nov 2021) 12 seeds germinated out of 58. I.e. 20% germination.

:low_brightness: on 12th day (15th Nov 2021) 22 new seedling were observed and in total 34 seedlings out of 58 That means 57% germination

Didn’t observed on 13th day!

:low_brightness:On 14th day(17th Nov 2021) 56 seedlings were observed. That means around 96% germination!

:sparkles:today i.e 19th Nov 2021 58 seedlings in total are observed that means 100% germination on the 17th day!

On this basis I made a hypothesis of 60% in 2 weeks.@⁨Kiran Di⁩

1 Like

Can you retake the photograph with a reference object so that we can estimate the size of the seeds?

I want to grow cardamine at my home lab. Can someone post dry seeds to me? Please send DM @GN so that I can send my postal address. Thanks.

Yes, I will retake the photos with the reference Scale.

Also I will find out with our college how they can send, then i will ask you for your postal address. :+1::blush:

Update on Cardamine Seed Germination setup☘️ This setup was made on 3rd July 2023. Yesterday i.e. on 5th Day post Sowing no seedling was observed. Our expectation is it will germinate by 10th-12th Day i.e. between 14th-16th July 2023. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai, 7th July 2023, Photo: AbhijeetSingh.

This photo was taken yesterday i.e. 8th July 2023, a scale was kept beside the seeds as you can see. The size of a single seed is approx 1mm as per this photo.

Please suggest if anymore improvements is to made while taking a photo?

1 Like

Cardamine Seed Germination setup 2 sowed update. Only 2 seedlings after 27 days of sowing. 10 seeds were sown on 4th July and was expecting Germination by 14th July 2023. But till today only 2 seedlings that too in cotyledon stage in setup 1 was seen. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar Mumbai, 31st July 2023.

Only 1 seedling in setup 1 after 27 days of sowing. 10 seeds were sown in setup 1. Does this means that the seeds which were sown were dormant? As per @⁨Shraddha Cube⁩ the seeds were collected in the month of March. Cube Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai, 31st July 2023.

Cardamine Seed Germination setup update After 30 days of sowing 10 seeds in 2 setup only 1 seedling is seen in setup 2. What could be the reason for this? Few seedlings were observed in setup 1 during 3rd week of July but they also didn’t grew. Watering was regularly done by CUBE collaborator like Vatsal, Chintan , Abhijeet, Varsha. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. 3rd Aug 2023.

New cardamine Seed germination setup in CUBE SOMAIYA COLLEGE LAB😃 Today(3rd Aug 2023) Along with @⁨Meena Ma’am KJSSC Botany⁩ i made another setup for cardamine Germination study.

In 2 Petri dish i added 3-4 layers of tissue paper and moisture it with normal tap water. Then i placed 20 seeds in each setup(1&2).

Objective: To find out if the seeds given by @⁨Shraddha Cube⁩ have become dormant after 4 Months.

I’m not sure about exactly how many days it takes for cardamine seeds to Germinate because when seeds were sown in Homelab it was in soil and in soil you can’t see when the radical emerged(Which is when we consider it as Germination). The seedlings were visible to me between 12th-14th Day after sowing in the 2021 study in Homelab.

My guess is that it takes 8-10 days for Germination.
So I’m expecting to see the radical from this setup by 10th- 13th August 2023.

CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. 3rd Aug 2023. photo: AbhijeetSingh

Yellowish-brown seeds like this were taken for the new Cardamine Seed Germination setup. The size of the seeds is around 1mm. Cube Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. 3rd August 2023. Photo: Meena ma’am and Abhijeet Singh.

Labels was done with the help of permanent market on the list as well as on the base of lower dish to avoid any confusions while taking observation. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. 3rd Aug 2023. Photo: AbhijeetSingh.

2 Likes

Cardamine Seed Germination setup update The plates seem moist enough. Expecting Germination between 10th- 13th August 2023. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar Mumbai, 4th August 2023. Photo AbhijeetSingh.

Cardamine Seed Germination setup update Moisten the paper with the help of a spray bottle. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai 5th August 2023.

[05/08, 4:05 pm] Arunan Sir: Any reference to say that Cardamine seeds take more than 8 days to germinate after soaking and keeping moist?
Is it not too conservative an estimate that will make experimenter observe and maintain moisture in the experimental set up?:face_with_monocle::upside_down_face: @⁨Abhijeet Singh⁩
[05/08, 4:09 pm] Arunan Sir: A close up for other interested collaborators to observe please @⁨Abhijeet Singh⁩
How do we prove that there is sufficient moisture and that it won’t get dry till you water next day.

What is your watering schedule in this cute set up? :upside_down_face::face_with_monocle:
What if you cover the seeds with two layers of moist tissue paper? :upside_down_face::face_with_monocle: @⁨Abhijeet Singh⁩
[05/08, 4:11 pm] Arunan Sir: What if you soak in water in another container with a sample of seeds? @⁨Abhijeet Singh⁩
[06/08, 3:26 pm] Abhijeet Singh: No these are not fresh seeds but the old stock of seeds supplied by Shraddha on July 3rd. These seeds were collected by Shraddha in March.

Chosen these seeds to test if they have gone in dormancy. I’m not exactly sure after how many days the seeds Germinate. But as per my experience I saw seedlings between 12-14th days when sowed in soil. So I’m expecting to observe Germination(emergence of white color radical) between 8-10 days because in tissue radical will be clearly visible.
[06/08, 3:28 pm] Abhijeet Singh: Everyday i come to the lab so I see if there is enough water . I don’t know exactly how to communicate the water content but when i observe the tissue paper it shouldn’t be moist. It should be wet.
[06/08, 3:35 pm] Arunan Sir: How about using some fresh seeds from Somaiya Garden as Control? @⁨Abhijeet Singh⁩
[06/08, 3:43 pm] Abhijeet Singh: My 1st plan is to do the identification of these cardamine plants. Like whether they are cardamine hirsuta or any other species.

For that I will look for morphological and anatomical features. In this I will also involve TY.B.Sc Botany students and will do together with them.

The morphological and anatomical features include:

1. Flower(Arrangement of stamen mad carpel)
  2. Leaf( Surface morphology, Section of leaf(Arrangement of vascular bundles)
  3. Stem (Section)
  4. Root (Section).

Authentic this with available relaible research papers.
[06/08, 3:47 pm] Abhijeet Singh: That’s what I’m also confused with.
How to communicate the estimate of water content that should be present in the plate with tissue paper.

What is your idea on it?
[06/08, 3:50 pm] Abhijeet Singh: I will post the closeup tomorrow when I go to college.

I will make another setup with seeds between 2 layers of tissue paper.

But why what will be the objective of doing this? @⁨Arunan Sir⁩
[06/08, 3:52 pm] Abhijeet Singh: Yes it will be interesting.

So for example my mom soaks chana over night and next 1 day she keep them in wet cloth and the chana Germinates.

Should I do that?

Or

I should soak the seeds in water and let it stay there and take observation?
@⁨Shraddha Cube⁩ @⁨Lakshmy Cube⁩ @⁨CHARVI Shukla CUBE National Meet⁩ @⁨Kishan Gupta DSC DU⁩ @⁨Vatsal KJSSC⁩ @⁨Chintan Gala KJSSC⁩ @⁨Varsha Singh⁩ @⁨Priti Didi⁩
[06/08, 3:55 pm] Abhijeet Singh: Which genes should we think of inserting in Cardamine through floral dip?

Let’s make a very clear plan before starting anything.
@⁨Varsha Singh⁩ @⁨CHARVI Shukla CUBE National Meet⁩ @⁨Rechel cube Ranchi⁩ @⁨Priti Didi⁩ @⁨Theertha CUBE⁩ @⁨Lakshmy Cube⁩ @⁨Vatsal KJSSC⁩ @⁨Chintan Gala KJSSC⁩ @⁨Arunan Sir⁩ @⁨Jai CUBE⁩ @⁨Kiran Di⁩
[06/08, 3:56 pm] Arunan Sir: Don’t you want the seeds to be germinating as fast as possible, by providing all possible facilities and not depriving them any essential factors responsible for seed germination? :upside_down_face::face_with_monocle::+1:

What about simultaneously collecting more seeds from the newly discovered Cardamine resource in Somaiya College campus, thanks to the two days workshop along with CUBE National Meet 2023.:innocent::+1::handshake:
Let’s make the maximum use of collaboration.

Please thank all those helped in finding such a great resource of Cardamine plants. @⁨Abhijeet Singh⁩
[06/08, 3:59 pm] Arunan Sir: Please do all possible the bags to find out what went wrong with Cardamine seeds that you had from @⁨Shraddha Cube⁩ and others?

How can you stay cool, when we suspect Cardamine grows almost every where? @⁨Abhijeet Singh⁩
[06/08, 4:00 pm] Abhijeet Singh: But why would we want to Germinate the seeds faster? When our objective is to find out how many days it Germinates?

Yes adding one layer of tissue will help in avoiding the scenario where seeds are deprived of moisture. But will it help in faster Germination?
What your say? @⁨Vatsal KJSSC⁩ @⁨Varsha Singh⁩ @⁨Meena Ma’am KJSSC Botany⁩ @⁨Aditya cube⁩ @⁨Lakshmy Cube⁩ @⁨Theertha CUBE⁩ @⁨Shraddha Cube⁩
[06/08, 4:03 pm] Abhijeet Singh: Yes ofc.

Thanks to all the collaborators.:partying_face::partying_face::tada::tada: @⁨Lakshmy Cube⁩ @⁨Shraddha Cube⁩ @⁨Vatsal KJSSC⁩ @⁨Chintan Gala KJSSC⁩ @⁨CHARVI Shukla CUBE National Meet⁩ @⁨Sonal CUBE⁩ @⁨Prajwal CUBE PUNE⁩ @vaishnavi and collaborators from Narayan Gaon(sorry I’m not able to recall the name) and others …
[06/08, 4:06 pm] Abhijeet Singh: @⁨Manasi FY KJSSC⁩ @⁨Vidip FY KJSSC CUBE⁩ what’s the update on caterpillars you found in Somaiya College?

Can you please send a photograph with a description about whatever you are able to observe ? Is the caterpillar eating ? In description please also mention the location of your place(Homelab) where you are culturing it when college is closed on Sunday.
[06/08, 4:07 pm] Arunan Sir: If you want to make use of Cardamine as a model system, we cannot wait for weeks just for germination?
What if we can have seed to seed in this system in just a month or month and half?
What is that we are learning from your population of cardamines at Somaiya college and that of CUBE Panvel Garden Lab pupulation? @⁨Shraddha Cube⁩ should be followed up to see she follows up on the Cardamine she found already in inflorescence after the rainy season?:upside_down_face::face_with_monocle::+1::+1::+1::handshake:

1 Like

New Cardamine Seed Germination setup update(Setup 1) closeup view of seeds in wet tissue paper in a Petri plate. Setup made on 3rd Aug 23. Expected Germination: 8th-12th August 23. Today no germination observed as expected. Sprayed water with the help of a spray bottle to wet the tissue bed. I guess on one seed fungal growth has started as seen in video towards the end. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. Video: Abhijeet Singh.

New Cardamine Seed Germination setup update(Setup 2) closeup view of seeds in wet tissue paper in a Petri plate. Setup made on 3rd Aug 23. Expected Germination: 8th-12th August 23. Today no germination observed as expected. Sprayed water with the help of a spray bottle to wet the tissue bed. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. Video: ASingh. 7th August 2023

Cardamine Seed Germination in water setup(1) as discussed in this group we should see how the seeds will react to only water. Expecting Germination by 15th-18th August 2023. 20 seeds were used which were given by @⁨Shraddha Cube⁩ from her garden lab which collected in March 2023. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. Video: ASingh. 7th August 2023

Cardamine Seed Germination in water setup(2) as discussed in this group we should see how the seeds will react to only water. Expecting Germination by 15th-18th August 2023. 20 seeds were used which were given by @⁨Shraddha Cube⁩ from her garden lab which collected in March 2023. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. Video: ASingh. 7th August 2023

Made another setup of cardamine seed germination(Setup 1). The 20 seeds are kept on a wet tissue surface and from the top one later of tissue is added. It was watered by a spray bottle to make the tissue bed wet. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. Video: ASingh. 7th August 2023.

1 Like

Made another setup of cardamine seed germination(Setup 2). The 20 seeds are kept on a wet tissue surface and from the top one later of tissue is added. It was watered by a spray bottle to make the tissue bed wet. CUBE Somaiya College Lab, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. Video: ASingh. 7th August 2023.

1 Like