Curiousity driven question from my Hostel Warden ;Do this small cage become Butterfly!

I am Thanking @SaraKalamudeen and her Collaboraters for gave me a chance to understand the lifecycle and mimicry of Common mormon Butterfly .

Photo credit : @SaraKalamudeen

Butterflies are beautiful in many ways they are collecting nectars ,and a key source of pollination .

Comming to Common mormon :

Papilio polytes, the common Mormon, is a common species of swallowtail butterfly widely distributed across Asia.

During CUBE National meet 2022 ,i saw that the Beautiful Videos and pictures of Common butterflies that there in our surroundings .

Glimpses of the VIdeo Made by @SaraKalamudeen and her Collaboraters

Here is the interesting observation comes ;

Common Mormon butterfly mimicking the wings pattern and colours of Common rose and crimson red butterflies .

Picture showing the male and female butterflies of Common mormon.
Cyrus form of female common mormon.

Comparing both female common mormon and male ,it is clearly visible that the female butterfly shows small red patches at lower wings .

Stichius form of female common mormon.

Romulus form of female common mormon.

Sara’s observation is very closely related to the discovery of Butterfly man​:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

A researcher Krishmegh kunte from NCBS ,TIFR ,Bangalore discovered Double sex in Common mormon butterflies .

If you line up males and females of the Common Mormon butterfly, you would think they are from different species. The females are confusing — some resemble males and some mimic poisonous butterflies to fool predators. New research has found that a single gene codes for all of this wondrous complexity1. (Reference shared by @Arunan sir)

One gene for many butterfly disguises.

The same genetic code can result in different mRNAs, which are molecular messengers that take instructions from the genome to different parts of the cell. P. polytes females can make three distinct mRNAs from doublesex . Two of these forms are found in higher amounts in mimetic females. (
Reference shared by @Arunan sir)

One gene for many butterfly disguises.

This was the TINKE (This i never know Moment for me )Thanks to @SaraKalamudeen @Arunan and all collaboraters of Butterfly group .

This is what collaboration is …here i understood
the different forms of Common mormon and lifecycle of it.

These studies of Cubists were helped me to share my knowledge of common mormon to my Hostel warden (Currently i am staying as a Paying guest but the owner of PG we call as warden )

Here is the Story our Common mormon Butterfly

Finaly she emerges with Beautiful colours

Story of a Common mormon butterfly from a

curious observer.

On ~January 28,2023 I got a Pupa of Common mormon from My hostel warden.
She was curious about these pupa ,she was almost 55 to 60 years age .

She plucked the Curry leaves for giving that to her neighbour, at that time i am going for class.She showed that to me by saying something that there in her curry leaves.

By seeing itself i predicted that, this must become Common mormon butterfly ( I used to say " this will become butterfly with in 5-6 days to my warden )

She first time knowing that this is how a pupa look like. This will become butterfly !!! She surprised.I took that pupa from her & put it on my glass Pot.On 2/02/2023 at 6am that pupa turned into a butterfly

A Beautiful common Mormon female butterfly

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpiIFBFj6Td/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Common mormon

Date:2/02/2023

Place:Kariyavattam, Thiruvathapuram

Adding Glimpses of Chatshaala discussion

13/04/2023

Key points of Today’s CUBE Chatshaala discussion

Home Lab Study By @⁨Sara Kalamudeen, TVM⁩ Sara on Common mormon Butterfly

What is special about Sara’s work !!!

Sara collected 10 number of Caterpillars from Curry leaf plant.@⁨Sara Kalamudeen, TVM⁩

She observed 4 different forms Common mormon :thinking:
We familiar with Male & female butterflies but how a butterfly is having 4 different forms !!!

Thanks to Sara for her enthusiasm & curiousity driven observations from CUBE home lab Varakala

BUTTERFLY National meet.mp4 - Google Drive

@⁨Aiswarya Jayan CUBE⁩ from CUBE Kollenchery ,@⁨Nandini CUBE AP⁩ from CUBE Nallore @⁨Hitesh Purohit (Pareek)⁩ @⁨shalinisharma⁩ were partipated in today’s Chatshala and discussion was about the Mimicry in common butterfly and it’s Host plants .

We compared the data of Sara’s work with the Butterfly man "Krishna megh kunte ": Reasercher in NCBS,Tifr Bangalore .

here is a project on the Common Mormon butterfly “Molecular genetics and evolution of mimicry in the Papilio polytes butterfly”. This butterfly is found across India, Indo-China and southeast Asia and is eaten by predators such as birds. Some female Common Mormons look similar to the male, but others mimic the color patterns of two unrelated species found in these areas: the Common Rose (Pachliopta aristolochiae) and the Crimson Rose (Pachliopta hector). The Roses are unpalatable and therefore not usually eaten by predators.

The Butterfly Man | NCBS news

Following Pointed added by @KiranyadavR

Why common mormon female butterfly mimics crimson rose butterfly?.

Why does Common mormon female butterfly gets the red colour in the wing which is similar to what crimson rose has got?.

How red colour in the common mormon female butterfly selected ?

@shalinisharma98 @Shraddha276 @Arunan and others

2 Likes