Discussion from rotifers to red moina

Today in chatshala we started the discussion with rotifers which @Abhi0703 had in his Culture setup…
@Misbah said that Evolution on horizontal gene transfer can be studied through rotifers…

How exactly @Misbah along with others can elaborate here…?

@Abhi0703 's culture setup also had moina so we jumped to Moina present in my culture bottle…

I collected the lake water sample which was green in colour from a lake in Panjim, Goa with an objective of finding waterfleas as a feed for hydra

Things I learnt while maintaining the lake water sample:-
• Moina get attracted towards light…
•Size of moina is around 1mm
•Hydra can feed on copepods and Cyclops too as mentioned in one of the reference…

How do we culture these organisms…
So we can do that by taking a 500 ml bottle , filling it with 250 ml of dechlorinated water and adding waterfleas into it , & 1 drop of milk …

WHY DECHLORINATED WATER?
Chlorine in the water is used to kill these organisms , since we are culturing it we want these organisms to survive so we use dechlorinated water…

WHY a DROP OF MILK?
Milk has bacterias in it as well as it has nutrients which helps bacteria present in the dechlorinated water to grow and multiply…waterfleas feed on these bacterias and grow…

@Archita15 a cubist from NES college Ratnam got around 70-80 Moina macrocopa JSK 1 moinas from @dhanraj.tribhuvan

She did it’s subculture into 2 bottles…

Some of the GOOF-UPS

• @Archita15 kept very less space for proper diffusion of oxygen into the bottle
  • @Archita15 didn’t have replicates

Objevtives worked upon by @archita using moina as a model system…

1. To increase the number of moina macrocopa JSK 1

2. To find out best conditions for moina to survive.

Procedure she followed:
i) Took 6 containers of equal sizes.
ii) Added 5 moinas in each container along with dechlorinated water.
iii) First case was normal feeding so 2 container were kept with 5 moina each feeding daily with 1 drop of milk…

Second case was no feeding where there were 2 containers having 5 moina each but no milk was given to it…

Third case was excessive feeding wherein 3 drops were given to moina…

Expectation
i) In first case there would be normal rate
ii) Some moina will survive
iii) more number of moina than normal rate

RESULTS
i) CASE I- there was normal rate as expected
ii) CASE II - 0 moina
iii) CASE III - moina number doubled and red moina were observed…

So what is the conclusion @Archita15

4 Likes

Fantastic summary @_Seema_11 , which all topics of syllabus can be understood by these experiments?

Please select CUBE chat (green colored one) under category section, while posting new blog.
This would make the blog appear under specific CUBE Chat section.

2 Likes

I don’t have access to cube chat till now, so I posted it here…