Drosophila culture in CUBE RJ

DROSOPHILA CULTURE IN CUBE RJ

A fresh start with the CsBz culture in RJ college from 23/8/19…media date: 21/8/19
Had a satisfactory culture till 19/9/19…
But then slowly started to lose the cultures as I didnt have a fresh media bottle and therefore couldn’t transfer the flies to a fresh media bottle.

So now starting again with the CsBz flies as well as native flies hoping not to loose any of them this time :pray:

27/9/19

Prepared 500 ml corn meal agar media for 15 bottles on 27/9/19.

OBJECTIVE
Immediate:
Start 5 single lines from the native flies.

Short term:
Maintenance & Culturing of CsBz as well as native fruit flies.
Performing the olfactory assay.

Long term:
Providing evidences for evolution by comparing the olfactory senses of the lab bred and the native D.melanogaster

Plan with these bottles-
Will be making 5 single lines from the native flies trapped.
Also will transfer some CsBz flies to these bottles for increasing the CsBz culture!!

3 Likes

Why not put some videos on how to transfer flies ? Well, how much time will it be taking for you to get a single line native culture ? Are you planning for identification of native drosophila? What are the key characteristics that makes a fly drosophila melanogaster ? And also what about the giant flies ? Have you successfully identified it ? Aren’t you focusing on culturing them too ?

3 Likes

30/9/19

Had some few flies left in one culture bottle.
So transferred them to a fresh media bottle.
This is the only one bottle of CsBz culture that I have with me which is of RJ college.
Now this bottle is in CUBE lab.
Transfer date: 30/9/19.
Transferred 12 flies in which 9 are females and in which 2 are gravid.
These are the only flies I have with me now.
Will try to increase my culture with these flies.
Will also need some flies from @siddhi_bidaye @Rajshree

GIANT FLIES from the trap

The giant flies from this bottle were transferred to a fresh media bottle on 30/9/19.
These are the mixed culture flies which is from the trap itself…
It has both the small and the giant flies…

This is the media bottle into which the giant flies were transferred on 30/9/19.
There are ~30 flies in this bottle.
These are the flies trapped by @siddhi_bidaye @Rajshree

2 Likes

Sure…will put up the video of transferring of flies soon!!

For getting a single line native culture i.e. like 1 generation…you would get within 10 days.
So planning to start with the native culture on 3/9/19. So will get a single line culture 1 generation within 13/9/19.
Once we get the single line culture, I can proceed towards its identification characteristics!!!

Giant flies have been transferred to a fresh bottle…
No identification has been done till now…
I need to look at some of its body parts and classify it accordingly.
But then as this is a mixed culture…there is a need to make a single line culture of these giant flies too.

2 Likes

This is the size comparison between the native drosophila and giant flies. Any idea are the giant ones too are drosophila or not ? How to identify them ?

2 Likes

Does this statement mean the giants are not only of one single specie ? 2 or more species ? All giants ??? Seriously :fearful::astonished:

2 Likes

Family -Drosophilidae characteristics

Venation pattern of wings -

1. 2 breaks on coastal vein
  2. Incomplete subcoastal vein
  3. Presence of anal cell

Bristles on the head -
4. Presence of ocelli triangle and a pair of bristles called convergent post ocelli bristles
5. 3 pairs of bristles : 1 pair in the forward direction and 2 pairs in the backward direction
6. Presence of arista - branch of antennae
7. Oral vibrissae - pair of large bristles above mouth

Using these characteristics you can say whether these flies belong to the family Drosophilidae… Then we can proceed with the Genus Drosophila

1 Like

Common @Lydia how can you assume all of us to know what’s the ocelli traingke , vibrissae etc. Why not upload some pics and label them so that it could become extremely easy to understand :star_struck:

2 Likes

Could be that all giants are not of the same species…
The normal fruit flies that we trap…they are all of the same size…
Only that the male is smaller in size than the females

1 Like

Is their size only the distinguishing feature?

One may not be able to distinguish a small female fruitfly and a male.

What you are saying is right…
But then I dont have the pictures taken by me to send it…
So I need to click pictures for sending them!!

:point_up_2:
https://www.google.com/search?q=oral+vibrissae+drosophilidae&rlz=1C1CHBD_enIN866IN866&sxsrf=ACYBGNQtnUL1baq4uFb_cVr0irS6jeSQdA:1570013635664&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmi6_ItP3kAhVD73MBHb4aC-UQ_AUIEigB&biw=1366&bih=657#imgrc=HZH2A137t_0AlM:

The document shared below has the pictures of identifying a fruit fly belonging to the family Drosophilidae

In this document…it is given that the wing pattern has (or shows) 3 breaks on the coastal vein. To confirm whether its 2 or 3 breaks…need to observe a CsBz fly…
IMG-20190615-WA0035

Body length, color, and the head features :point_down:
IMG-20190615-WA0035

This is the head part of a drosophilidae fly. :point_down:
The branching that is seen is called the arista on the branch of the antenna.
3 pairs of bristles…1 pair forward and the 2 pairs in the backward direction

Dont have proper pics with labellings to send now…
Will send soon…:+1:

1 Like

Male Drosophila are generally smaller than their female counterparts, and have a darker abdomen. The posterior segments of the Drosophila female are only pigmented in their posterior halves, whereas these segments are almost completely pigmented in the males.

The left one is the female and the right one is the male

Will send the pic of the flies from the culture bottles too…

So here I was comparing between the giant flies that we have trapped and the normal fruit flies that we see.

2 Likes
Text
looking for better pictures @uday
2 Likes

Some of the pictures of giant fly under microscope.
@Arunan @Sjuday2527 @drishtantmkawale

Limbs of the giant fly

Dorsal part of the giant fly

Venation pattern of the wings

2 Likes

What is your objective?
Please give a bit of the context to make others interested to respond and thus contribute! @Lydia

2 Likes

To achieve these objectives we need to get a D.melanogaster species from the native (environment) so that we could compare it with the lab bred D.melanogaster species!!

So while trapping the flies from the environment we get a mixed population of flies which will have different species or different type of fruit flies!!

Once from the trap we got some giant flies…
Why giant??
Because they were larger in size than the normal ones!!
Normal ones would be 3-4mm.
These giant flies are ~5-6mm.

So thought of identifying these flies as to which species it belongs to :+1:

3 Likes

So what happened to this giant fruit flies? @Lydia

2 Likes

Can we trace back to this and see what happened then and what we can all learn from this experience and make that as a part of the e-Book matter? Looking forward to. @Lydia

1 Like