Experiment to make a hand wash at home

Yesterday, My mother told me that the hand wash had finished .She went to market to buy handwash. But, there was no handwash left in the market .So I decided to make hand wash at home :thinking:.

So, here are the things required to make hand wash. :point_down:t3:

1. Some pieces of bathing soap.
  2. A frying pan.
  3. 200 gm of water.
  4. A grater.
  5. Two tablespoons dettol antiseptic or any other antiseptic liquid.
  6. An empty bottle of hand wash.

Here is the procedure to make it :point_down:.

1. Put the water in the frying pan and boil it.
  1. Now grate the soap carefully .
  1. When the water starts boiling add the grated soap in it.
  1. Stir the mixture carefully.
  2. Now turn off the flames and add 2 tablespoons of dettol or any other antiseptic liquid in it.

6. Left the mixture untouched for minimum 10 hours.

1. The mixture will become thick.
  2. Stir it properly and pour it in your bottle of hand wash.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KlaidaBVDOlZ8ZZBg269Wgq1A5AN8onJ/view?usp=sharing

1. The handwash is ready to use.

If there is same problem in your home please try this out.

STAY HOME STAY SAFE ! :mask:

10 Likes

Why grate the soap, why not use the soap cake regularly to wash? What is the advantage of this method?

6 Likes

Because the regular soap cake is used by many people and it may transfer germs of one person to other.

3 Likes

Germs of what kind?
What are germs?
Will the so called germs stay on soap?

I wonder since my childhood that if we are using soap to wash our hands clean i.e. if the soap is meant for killing the germs, then why will they hover on their deathbed; the soap?

@Manpreetheersskp

5 Likes

So will grating the soap into small pieces help in Killing the germs @Manpreetheersskp ?

3 Likes

Sometimes the soap becomes very soft and also if someone has washed hands earlier there is foam on the soap.
The liquid soap in a bottle is less messy.

But even the liquid soap dispenser can transmit germs because the nozzle is not washed. I think it can spread more germs this way.

3 Likes

The grated soap is added to boiling water and then antiseptic liquid is also added to it.This process will kill the germs and bacteria present on it.

1 Like

This does not address the problem of the liquid soap dispenser gathering germs. The liquid soap may be convenient, but some more thought is needed to make the entire process secure end-to-end.

In this connection, there are separate projects here for creating a handsfree dispenser. One uses a small electrical pump, another fits the dispenser on a stand that can be foot operated.

However, in a small kitchen or flat, there may not be enough space for a floor standing dispenser. Some ideas on a diy shelf dispenser will be welcome.

7 Likes

@Manpreetheersskp first of all, great to read a recipe for how to make hand-wash from soap. Usually at home, we are left with the last chunks of soap which cannot be further used directly, so maybe this method will help to utilize those pieces fully.

I read in our Science classes that the germs such as viruses are not alive independently, they can be spread even when they are inactivated or in other words, dead. Once the inactivated viruses latch onto any living organism or protein though, they can get activated and live like a parasite. So the explanation of โ€˜killingโ€™ a virus can be such that you wash off the things or particles that help the virus to stay activated, and the inactivated virus will get washed off with water.

My knowledge is not in this area, but I would like to know if this explanation is correct or where is it wrong.

In case the explanation is close to correct, then it feels like it is important that the germ should get washed off, otherwise it may again come in contact with some other thing to grow after being re-activated, right? Then how do we trust in hand sanitizers, or those have a very different reaction with the germs?

Any source to read up for good information on this doubt?

2 Likes

Read this till the end and you will understand which is better in handwashing.

2 Likes

How are we sure this works effectively against infective agents like Coronavirus?

5 Likes

I tried your recipe. I did not grate the soaps but soaked them in water for about two days first. The hand wash is generating satisfactory amount of foam, thanks! :blush:

4 Likes

Nice recipe.

The soap is grated to let it dissolve faster in the water. Soaking should have similar effect.

There is no risk in recycling used soap. Soap is not likely to transfer germs. Whether you use the bar as it is, grate it or soak it.

Soap is a surfactant and will kill and wash away germs pretty effectively. You donโ€™t need dettol, but no harm in adding it either. You can also add glycerin to make it softer on the skin (or substitute part of the water with glycerin).

Liquid soap/handwash made like this is not the same as what you buy in shops. Hard soap is made with sodium hydroxide (caustic soda). Liquid soap is made with potassium hydroxide (caustic potash). They have slightly different qualities. This should not matter much to make liquid soap for emergency use though.

2 Likes