Introduction to Paper Circuit - 1

Paper Circuits

Paper Circuit is one of the most fascinating ways to explore the circuitry and basics of electricity, magnetism, and electronics in an authentic way by engaging in the creation of personally meaningful artifacts.

From making circuits on simple paper to augmenting the circuitry in form of cards, or in origami or in sculpture or making other STEM projects, this is a versatile medium that you can use at various other places!

Here is something which I made a few weeks back.

card

Here is another one, sometime last year - A Pikachu!

Check out the process documentation and additional details below!

Tinkering Studio
https://www.exploratorium.edu/tinkering/projects/paper-circuits/

Here is a short video by agtoys

We also did workshops earlier ( LED Art; Paper Circuit) in which children made various prototypes. Here is glimpses of some the those:

Here comes the exciting part! The Project Challenge

Make

• Won’t it be amazing if you can design your own card/artifact and share it below with the STEMGames community members?

• Share your experience of working with the paper circuits.
  • What went according to plan and what didn’t?
  • If you used a single cell(plural: battery) to light up more than one led, can you share how you did the wiring?

Discuss

• How do LEDs work?
  • Can you share the circuit diagram of your artifact?
  • What are some of the key observations/insights which you experienced while creating the design?
  • Can you elaborate on the working of your circuit? Share the diagram.
  • What is your understanding of current? Will that be possible to show the direction of flow of current in the circuit that you created?
  • Did you find it difficult to light two LEDs of different colors with a single cell at the same time?
  • What design change you will make in your artifact so that the LED gets lit only when you press a specific point? ( in other words, how do you add a switch to your design? )

I hope this has given enough context to get you excited to start your journey to explore paper circuits. Looking forward to the participation.

Materials

Here is a suggestive reference for components one can procure. You may procure the materials from the local hardware shop or order it online from any other vendor.

Specific

• Copper Conductive Tape

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Roll-Metre-Copper-Wide-57000513MG/dp/B01FY214DA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Copper+tape&qid=1586864665&sr=8-1

• CR 2032 Coin Cell

https://www.amazon.in/Maxell-Hitachi-CR2032-Lithium-Battery/dp/B01HOJWBR4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1V19FZONQFGL2&dchild=1&keywords=cr2032+lithium+battery+3v&qid=1586864706&sprefix=CR203%2Caps%2C276&sr=8-6

• LEDs

https://www.amazon.in/Flame-Bright-Emitting-Yellow-100Pcs/dp/B016577L2G/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=LEDs&qid=1586864763&sr=8-11

Basic Stationery

• Scissors
  • Cutter
  • Binder clip
  • Colors

Useful Links and References

3 Likes

I was wondering if children could do this project during the lock-down period, they may have some challenges of procuring the materials and tools required for doing this project. E.g., I don’t have conducting tape at home, can I use an alternative? I don’t have an LED bulbs at home, what else can I use? Don’t have a button cell to spare, what other alternative? A simple project becomes very complex when tools and materials are not accessible.

1 Like

When one uses specific material in a particular project, there is definitely an accessibility concern if the resources are not available.
Specific materials do has its affordances like getting to know new materials and its uses and limitations, however the same/similar project can be initiated with alternatives.

For instance, one can also use bare copper wire if conducting tape isn’t available and design similar project !

One can also use thin wires, with small bulbs to make something similar. Here is another example

nosebug05-agtoys

5 Likes

I only use pencil, paper And battery to make this circuit,

Draw two parallel lines, used as a wire

Battery voltage

line Resistance 10k-ohm

line Resistance 14.4k-ohm

voltage connect to load

Glowing led

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes