Journey of a CUBE Kishore Bharati intern : Highlights of 2nd half of October or

PC: @Ichha

Observing ,understanding and discussing

PC:Me

Past few days we all are curious about the Article on First known horizontal gene transfer between Whitefly and Plant.

What was the context of that !?

On 13/10/2022 Chatshaala discussion was about the identification of Phyllanthus plants .Ichha @Ichha found some phyllanthus plants in her surrounding she planned to identify those plants .

IMG-20221013-WA0160
PC:Me

On 14/10/2022 Ichha posted the updates of the phyllanthus plants for identification .

First and foremost @Arunan sir noticed some infections on that* & ask for more pictures .

Later @Himanshu sir noticed the infections indicated* by Arunan sir and search for that ,He got the news article about the first horizontal known gene transfer Whitefly & plant.

Iater i searched the key words about how the horizontal gene transfer occured between whitefly and plant

I got the original paper

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350394774_Whitefly_hijacks_a_plant_detoxification_gene_that_neutralizes_plant_toxins#:~:text=Whitefly%20hijacks%20a%20plant%20detoxification%20gene%20that%20neutralizes%20plant%20toxins,-April%202021

i wrote that in the heading “Attack your shield with your spear”

Actually i got these quotes from the original paper .

Rakesh bivas found the original story behind the words .

The story as follows

In the state of chu, there was a craftsman who made shields and spears and sold them in a market.

One day, in the market, to attract more attentions, he boasted of his shield:

"My shield is so solid that no spears can pierce it.” As he expected, hearing his words, people in the market gathered around his booth.

He continued his bragging: “My spear is so strong that it can pierce through anything.”

While he was proudly advertising his products, a man in the crowd asked him “what if I stab your shield with your spear?”

Bewildered by his own words, the craftsman was at a loss for a suitable reply. The crowd broke up laughing and booing"

Like here Whitefly taken the Spear PMaT1 gene from plant and detoxify the Plant toxin .

All those made us more more interesting .

I give this *chance to congratulate @Ichha for her continues follow up discussion on context to curriculum & chatshala.Without her observation these chain of discussion will not happen.

On 21/10/2022 * @jaikishan sent a reference about RNAi* ,that was the history about RNAi .the first paper also explained about the RNAi.Currently we are standing on that RNAi

I respect Chitra mam for her patience ,because my understanding that i made had some gaps with the original concept .I tried to fill up those gap with the help of mam.still continuing .

PC:Chitra mam

Because of the continues search related to this topic my Google feeds now filled insect plant interaction.

On 27/10/2022 i got the other reference that was about the continuation of first article

Actually i really surprised about that how the researchers are getting these updates very quickly !!!

The first paper published on 1/04/2021 ,the second paper related to first paper published on 26/10/2022 I got the second paper on 27/10/2022

How researchers are immediately follow up this !!!

I shared my surprize to chatshala ,later i realised that a if a researcher doing a work ,he/She continuously acquiring knowledge about the topic .

In our case we came there because of the observation made by Ichha.Also we are connecting this with various curriculum topics .

Yes.That was the Simple but humble observation made by Ichha on her home lab ,that is Whitefly infecting phyllanthus leaves .

Now Cubists are in the way of understanding the RNAi mechanism that elaborated in that paper .
I hope the coming discussions are related to that and we all learn more about that .

Context to Curriculum :
A) Gene transfer

1)Vertical Gene transfer
Parent to offspring
2)Horizontal Gene transfer
Transformation
Transduction
Conjugation
Protein synthesis
Transcription
Translation
Enzyme /protein

B) Symbiotic relation with
Whitefly and Ant
Production of Honey dew by Whitefly.

C) Gene sequencing
Electrophoresis
Northern blotting

D) Mutation
Creating mutant by using mutagens .

E) Identification of Phyllanthus .

F) RNAi.

G)Lifecycle of Whitefly

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Whitefly-lifecycle-Images-of-the-eggs-and-first-second-and-third-instars-are_fig24_263926755

3 Likes