Journey of CUBist

Around November 2015 I joined CUBE when I was in 7th std from Adarsha Vidyalaya, Chembur, Mumbai, and today I’m in SY.B.Sc in K.J.Somaiya College, Vidyavihar, Mumbai. That time we used to come to Homi Bhabha Centre For Science Education to work and discuss it daily in the evening caussrie with our other collaborators from different schools and colleges around Mumbai. We started working on Mosquito Project in collaboration with students from other schools and colleges in Mumbai.

Towards the beginning, I was curious to know about the CUBE platform, and to be very honest I imagined it as a very complex and formal place but it took not much time for me to figure out it is a space for every other individual who aims to offer this country the scientific perspective that it desperately needs today. But this task is not easy because, in a country like India, where the majority of people are striving for basic amenities like Roti, Kapda aur Makan the inculcation of this scientific perspective is a challenge. But CUBE has taken up that challenge and made it its motto. I remember when @Arunan sir told me during one of the discussions that “Abhijeet this space of CUBE is structured as such that the first day you step in you are a different person and the same day when you step out you are a different person”

By the time I was in 9th Std I was a part of various studies on different model systems like Earthworm, Snails, Cardamine, and Mosquito. It doesn’t matter if we found out the answers to our research questions but are we following the right way? are we part of the ‘Process’? are we learning something out of it? that was important. I learned or I should rather say ‘‘I’m still learning that Results are not important but the right method and critical thought process are!’’ A student who is a part of Indian Education System and also a part of CUBE since young age can tell what are we missing out in our education system and I’ve tried to articulate it in this article:- Science education & communication.

After taking a break for my Boards exams I again became active with CUBE Activities but another opportunity came to me with that. I got selected for the CUBE Kishore Bharati Assistantship 2021-22. This was a totally different experience for me. Working with different people around the country gave a diverse set of experiences in collaboration and communication. Whatever I’ve learned here I’m trying to apply it everyday in my academics and other aspects of life. I got Invited by CUBE Chaitanya College Pamgarh, Chattisgarh to give a talk to M.Sc students on developing homelabs using simple model systems. I was referred as ‘SIR’ in the online CUBE ChatShaala Discussion by teachers and students and told this to Arunan sir so he said ‘That is exactly what we want Abhijeet, we want to build up a community where there is no one is senior or junior and everyone is part of the same process, we want to fill up that gaps between educator and learner’.

On 30th August 2022 I got invited by my School Adarsha Vidyalaya as a chief guest for Inauguration of Science and Maths Club for 2022-23. I Shared my Journey as of yet with the students on 7th, 8th and 9th standard and getting them involve with CUBE activities.

To sum up my experience with CUBE, I would articulate it in this way:
SCIENCE CAN NOT BE DEFINED UNDER STAYING OR BELIEVING A PARTICULAR KIND OF INSTITUTIONAL OR ORGANIZATIONAL IDEOLOGY. EVEN IF THE IDEOLOGY IS RIGHT, SCIENCE EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATION CAN NOT BE CONVEYED WITH THAT ONE PARTICULAR KIND OF IDEOLOGICAL LANGUAGE. SCIENCE IS EVERYTHING AROUND US THAT’S WHY IT IS INDEPENDENT OF A BELIEF OR AN IDEOLOGY. IT IS FREEDOM!!!

10 Likes