Making hydrogen from electrolysis of water at home

Today I was given a task by my teacher to do an experiment on electrolysis of water.
But I took it to another level by making hydrogen by electrolysis of water.

What is electrolysis of water:
Electrolysis of water is the process of using electricity to decompose water into oxygen hydrogen gas by a process called electrolysis.

Here are the materials I used :point_down:

I used a car battery charger as a power supply (It supplied low electricity so I was only able to make a little bit of hydrogen), Fevi quick, glue, twist tie, knife heated on stove, water bottles, Table salt, stainless steel hand dishwashers, wires and tubes (This picture is taken after experiment so there is rust sticking on the bottle)

How it works in my case :
First the water needed to conduct electricity which I did by adding table salt in it.
Next we needed a cathode and anode. ( negative and positive)
In which I used stainless steel hand dishwashers. I tied them and connected them with wires.
Next I needed to catch the gasses differently so I used bottles with tubes on top to catch them.
Hydrogen comes from the cathode and oxygen comes from the anode. with the ratio of 2:1 respectively.
This the setup

How to prove it is hydrogen :
To prove it is hydrogen I took the pipe with hydrogen and made bubbles of hydrogen by putting it in soap water and burned them.
Some vids of the fires.

What the other pipe makes :
Oxygen

Where rust came from :
remember cathode and anode. anode removes rust on the metal used and cathode adds rust on the metal used for it.

3 Likes

Nice work. Keep it up.

By the way, can you tell us at which terminal (+ve or -ve) will hydrogen be released?

Why does that happen?

Did you observe any difference in volume of gases released?

1 Like

I have edited the post so it also tells us that.

1 Like

Hydrogen will be released from { -ve } terminal . Because Hydrogen is positve in nature here while Oxygen is negative and Positive charge attracts Negative charge , while Negative attracts Positive charge

There is also the difference in volume of gases released because the Law of Constant Proportions . The ratio of masses Of Oxygen and Hydrogen is 8 : 1 in water . So when 8 grams Oxygen through (+ve) terminal , 1 Gram Hydrogen will leave through (-ve) Terminal .

1 Like

@NAVTEJ7939 will the ratio of their volume will be same as the ratio of their masses?
Is there a definite relationship between the two?

No , It won’t be the Same , See here
Water Is made Of 2 hydrogen Atoms and 1 oxygen Atom.So , It’s Ratio of Volume = 2:1

And in case of Masses The atomic weight of Oxygen is 16 u And Atomic mass of Hydrogen { 1.00784 u } approx. = 1 u and water contains 2 Hydrogen atoms and 1 Oxygen .
So , Ratio
= (1u)*(2) : 16u
= (2u) : (16u)
= 1 : 8

And about the relation of ratio of their volume will be same as the ratio of their masses , There is no relation
Hope it helps

1 Like