*Misconceptions regarding elementary aspects of Microscopy and Size*?

Do all biology students are afraid of mathematics?

Do we need to know about all the fundamentals of science?

Misconceptions Regarding Elementary Aspects of Microscopy and Size

:last_quarter_moon_with_face:Yesterday we came across very elementary aspects of microscopy in the context of Moina as a model system @anindita8820

:first_quarter_moon_with_face: Moina ,a freshwater organism under crustaceans.Also a Close relative of prawns and crabs​:shrimp::crab:

:last_quarter_moon_with_face:Cubists are using milk a feed for Moina . @sakshiconsultant2002 @dhanraj7

Milk is a source of energy, such as glucose which is helpful for the growth and reproduction of bacteria .

:first_quarter_moon_with_face:We came across an interesting question “How do Moina take bacteria, Do they have eyes” !?

@anindita8820 's Hypothesis : Moina do have eyes that may be helpful for them to capture bacteria !!

:last_quarter_moon_with_face: Are we not curious why we are not able to see bacteria in nacked eyes but microscope does !!!

:last_quarter_moon_with_face: How do Microscope help us to magnify such small objects ! @⁨Anindita Mandal Cube⁩

:last_quarter_moon_with_face: Microscope is a magician !!!:thinking::thinking:

According to @⁨Anindita Mandal Cube⁩
bacteria having 0.001µm in size .

:first_quarter_moon_with_face: How do we communicate such small sizes to anyone !!!

:last_quarter_moon_with_face:During that discussion most of us @⁨Anindita Mandal Cube⁩ @⁨Smiti⁩ @⁨Khushi⁩ @⁨Aditya Joshi⁩ tried to convert that to m ,cm ,mm & al .But most us got stuck in certain portions .

Why we called 10^9, 10^6 like that? What that means !?

Can we go to some flashback stories @⁨~Saida Sayyed⁩ @⁨Abhijeet Cube⁩

:last_quarter_moon_with_face:When I am discussing my PG project with Cubists last year, *we came across the size of a nanometer !*:orangutan:

:shamrock:Arunan Sir asked me to explain the nanometer size to a school student :triumph:

:orangutan:I replied that ,sir i know that 1 nm = 10^9 m, Also i am weak in mathamatics :grinning:

:first_quarter_moon_with_face:But at the end of the Chatshaala i understood the fundamentals of measures .@⁨Abhijeet Cube⁩ @⁨~Saida Sayyed⁩

:last_quarter_moon_with_face:Can we think of the most common instrument that we all can correlate !!!@⁨Anindita Mandal Cube⁩ @⁨Smiti⁩

:last_quarter_moon_with_face:Yes we do have instrumental box & that contains 15cm long ruler .

:shamrock:If we look 1cm in it , are we seeing 10 divisions on it .
(1cm =10mm)

:shamrock: If we split that 1 division, can we get 1000 such divisions .(1mm=1000µm
)
1um =0.001mm

:shamrock:now are we reach how small our bacteria is !!!

:shamrock:Coming to Microscope ,that is having
:last_quarter_moon_with_face: Eye piece 10x
:last_quarter_moon_with_face: Objective lens 100x
Magnification =1000*

:shamrock: Magics of microscopy

:sparkles:Are we seeing 1000 times magnified version of 0.001um-sized bacteria .please share your experience where we got stuck during chatshala discussions. @⁨Anindita Mandal Cube⁩ @⁨Smiti⁩ & others @Smiti @Abhi0703 @anindita8820 @KhushiGupta @saida786110 & others

4 Likes