Moina Group Discussion

Today was the first day of Cube STEM Workshop.
Cubists from across the country were there.
So in our Group i.e Moina we had three colleges associated today -Bhavans (Mumbai),Rj(Mumbai),Elphinstone (Mumbai) and one school Adarsh Vidyalaya (Mumbai)
We have got a task to prepare a video of 3 min representing our model organism
So today we discussed about What all we can include in a Movie.
We decided our work for tomorrow as we need to complete the movie by tomorrow.

5 Likes

So what research question you are planning to include in your movie? @Anjali

1 Like

We are planning to include the steps involving culture of Moinas, then we will show differences between Red and Colourless Moinas, information about Haemoglobin genes in Moinas, HAT, HDAC and its inhibitor (VPA) and study of histone remodeling via introduction of VPA in red moina culture.

1 Like

Arif showing me the difference between Daphnia and Moina.

5 Likes

Moina giving birth to new young progenys

9 Likes

Great archiving material @arif were you able to catch such video while observing your cultures @Siddhesh ?

3 Likes

Yes when I was observing and Moina giving birth.

2 Likes

CUBE Elphinstone College
Moina Group
19-08-2019
Created a Moina culture in a 1L plastic bottle with 500ml of DC Water + 12 drops of milk + Approximately + 10-15 Moinas including baby moinas.
Expecting there to be 15-20 Moinas tomorrow i.e. 20-08-2019
Our short term objective is to Culture Red Moinas

4 Likes

No yet I’ve not got such video even I’ve not witnessed such wonderful event but I’m thankful to @Mohd.Arifshaikh
And also now we can use it as evidence that moina give birth to Yong ones
About condition like from which it belongs I can estimate if belongs to normoxic condition

2 Likes

What is your design of experimentto get red moina?

What is news of today?
12 drop milk in 500ml water only one bottle no replicates :thinking:
What happened today in bottle?

2 Likes

I didn’t think of replicates earlier so our group made it today.

What was result of today ?

good video… so any idea about how many progenies were born and in what duration…

Elphinstone College
Moina Group
Short term Objective: To Culture red moinas.
Long term objective: To study the effect of VPA in gene expression in Moinas
Yesterday’s observation:
Bottle D1 having 500ml of DC Water and 12 drops of Milk has approximately 15-20 moinas with majority having pale yellow colour. Replica Bottle V1 also has the same no.of moinas as D1 and pale yelloe colour.
Today’s observation: Bottle D1 has approximately 20-25 moinas with ~10 moinas with increased size and their colour was pale yellow and the was observed in replica bottle V1 with ~ 5 Moinas with increased size.
Tomorrow’s expectations: 20-30 moinas in both bottles with some having yellow colour.

Is this the first time you are attempting this? @drishtantmkawale What is your expectation?
What do you expect the Dissolved oxygen depletion as days pass by? Is there a way to determine the Dissolved oxygen in this bottle?

Is not keeping replicates a good idea when you take such high risk of adding 12 drops of milk daily in one liter culture?
On what basis did you design this set up? Any early experience?

Daily updates with dates and objectives please! @drishtantmkawale

No, earlier I have made moina culture.

I expect to see proper red Moinas in a week or so from the date of culturing. Today, i.e. on the 8th day I found red 15-20 red moinas.

I think that the dissolved oxygen level will decrease as the number of moinas which increase so the oxygen would be consumed.

Yes, there is a way to find dissolved oxygen in the bottle. But, I have not searched for that yet and I am looking forward to search for the method of finding it.

Yes, it is not a good idea to not keep replicates.
I realized my mistake and made one the next day.

I designed this setup on the basis of performing VPA assay for which I was going to need red moinas.

CUBE Elphinstone College
Moina Group

Yesterday’s observation:
Bottle D1 having 500ml of DC Water and 12 drops of Milk has approximately 25-30 moinas with majority having pale yellow colour. Replica Bottle V1 also has the same no.of moinas as D1 and pale yellow colour and some with red colour.

Today’s observation: Bottle D1 has approximately 30-40 moinas with ~15 moinas with red colour and other having pale yellow colour and the same was observed in replica bottle V1 with ~ 30-35 moinas.

Tomorrow’s expectations: 50-60 moinas in both bottles with ~20 having red colour.

Elphinstone College
Moina Group

Today’s observation: Bottle D1 has approximately 50-60 moinas with ~ 20 moinas with red colour and other having pale yellow colour and the same was observed in replica bottle V1 with ~ 40-45 moinas.

Tomorrow’s expectations: 60-70 moinas in both bottles with ~20 having red colour.

Yesterday, we prepared our VPA (HDAC Inhibitor - doesn’t allow red moinas to turn to colourless easily) setup. We took 200mg VPA tablets from a pharmacy and out of that a tablet was dissolved in 200ml of water to get 1mg/ml.
Then we decided to take 5 concentrations of VPA i.e. 5ug, 10ug, 50ug, 100ug and 500ug. We took large differences between the concentrations to study its effect at large concentrations. For example, we hypothesize that moinas in 500ug concentration will take more time to get Colourless.
The concentrations were prepared as follows:
5ug- 995ml Water + 5ml of 1mg/ml VPA.
10ug - 990ml water + 10ml of 1mg/ml and so on.
Then we added 5 Red moinas in each of the 12 test tubes (10 concentrations with replicas + 2 control) containing 10ml DC water.
We decided to feed them with 1:25 ( 1 drop of milk and 25 drops of water) dilution because for 250ml of water we add 1 drop of milk, for 25ml we add 1:10 dilution and for 10ml 1:25 dilution.

Tomorrow’s expectations: We expect a slight change in colour in the test tubes having concentrations.

1 Like