Moist Wound healing

Wound healing
What first comes in your mind when you get a wound?.
Yeah!
Turmeric powder or Dettol or any other antiseptic cream. But all these just avoids bacterial infusion to the wound…what about the actual wound healing?
These all antiseptic creams and traditional methods say that the dry wound healing protects the wound.
But I got the idea from the bacterial cultures that we make in lab or the ATC PTC lab. The cells and bacteria grow in moist or wet environment.
So why do we dry our wound?

Unfortunately, I met with a bike accident and got some minor injuries, one on right arm and and the other on right side of chest on 20th Jan.
I visited a doctor and he gave me painkillers and povidone iodine oinment as antiseptic. From 24th of Jan I started moist wound healing on the chest wound with Aloe Vera gel and iodine oinment as antiseptic. And the arm wound I kept it as a dry wound.
From 24th till now I took photos of wound of both moist wound healing and dry wound healing.

3 Likes

what a delightfully scientific and fun examination (your pain from the wounds notwithstanding). Very good job!! Also, bravo for taking the photos systematically and labeling them with the date.

You can improve your post further by clearly writing down your conclusion from your experiment, and perhaps adding what else could be done to ensure the results are not biased by external factors. Of course, don’t go repeating the experiment because that would require you to get hurt all over again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sure, just waiting for the dry wound to be completely healed

1 Like

No way​:joy::joy:, iam not waiting for getting hurt again.

Hydrogels are the new wound dressing trying to address this dry/wet issue. Particularly in the case of serious burns.

1 Like

Yes, hydrogels are polymer based or geletin based product. I used aloe Vera gel easily available in plant nursery and it is cheaper than hydrogel

1 Like

Dear Mandar,
Good set of questions and good observations you have made in your study.
I would like to add a point here.
Wound Healing is also associated with certain enzymes, called Proteases which are being known to accelerate the wound healing process by some unique actions. Like enhancing the clot formation.
I suggest you to go through this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26113180.

Best
RRA

1 Like

What does this article suggest?