Pagalapos:Algal diversity

We all might have seen manhole covers on roadsides. Can we study evolution in the manhole lids?

Cubists are observing these holes in the manhole covers and finding interesting research questions.

These holes together Cubists called as Pagalalpos, any similarity with Galapagos!? @shalinisharma98 @KhushiGupta & others

Following are the Posts made by @Arunan sir and @Abhi0703 in Context to curriculum WhatsApp group.

Pagalapos, NanaChowk, near Grant Road, Mumbai 18 January 2024 inspired by @Abhi0703 Photo mcarunan

Photo @Arunan

Pagalapos well A close up, at Cumballa Hill, South Mumbai 12 September 2023 Photo mcarunan

This is one of the pagalapos well near Girls Hostel in Somaiya College Campus. Just behind this there is a water tank. So you can see in the photo that the well marked with green arrow is wet and the one marked with red is dry. Yesterday i.e. 29th Jan 2024 I could collect the wet sample but couldn’t collect dry. Today I saw the sample collected under microscope. Sharing photos below. Photo: 29th January 2023. Somaiya Vidyavihar. Credit: ASingh.

Wet and Dry Pagalapos wells besides each other. The wet well is receiving water from the pipe. My hypothesis is that the diversity of organisms in wet well would be much higher than the dry well. Behind K J Somaiya College of Engineering, Somaiya Vidyavihar, Mumbai. 23rd January 2023. Photo: Abhijeet Singh.

Wet and Dry Pagalapos well just outside K J Somaiya College of Science and Commerce. One side is wet because on that side plants are kept so when they are watered the water must have entered this well. Somaiya Vidyavihar Mumbai Maharashtra. 23rd January 2023. Photo: Abhijeet Singh. (Sorry for the Shadow)

Sample of Wet well of Pagalapos after 24hr post collection.. I’m not sure what this is but can we suspect it will be algae? Towards the tip of this some transparent clusters are present. This photo is taken at 10x objective and 10x eyepiece and 2X mobile camera zoom. CUBE Somaiya College Lab Vidyavihar Mumbai. 30th January 2024. Abhijeet Singh.

Sample of Wet well of Pagalapos after 24hr post collection. This is a similar type of structure . The cluster of transparent bodies at tip is clearly seen in this image. 45x objective and 10x eyepiece. CUBE Somaiya College Lab Vidyavihar Mumbai. 30th Jan 2024. Abhijeet Singh.

Sample of Wet well of Pagalapos after 24hr post collection. Some Structures were like this. There was a central bulb and 2 sharp needles like structure coming from polar ends. Can we suspect it for a diatom? 45x objective and 10x eyepiece. CUBE Somaiya College Lab Vidyavihar Mumbai. 30th Jan 2024.

Sample of Wet well of Pagalapos after 24hr post collection. This is when I shook and mixed the sample and I found some debris and amongst those I found one green color structure at the very centre. You can also see some spiral shapes structure moving very fast. Some needle-like structure is present throughout the area of visit. 45Xobjective and 10x eyepiece. CUBE Somaiya College Lab Vidyavihar Mumbai. 30th Jan 2024, photo AbhijeetSingh

Sample of Wet well of Pagalapos after 24hr post collection. And ofcourse along with others Rotifers were also observed in the sample as expected!:grinning:. Here is a 10sec video of a Rotifer moving around. 10x objective, 5x eyepiece. CUBE Somaiya College Lab Vidyavihar Mumbai. 30th Jan 2024. Video: Abhijeet Singh.

@Abhi0703 what are you trying to find in pagalapos?

Followup WhatsApp group discussions:

[21/01, 6:16 pm] Abhijeet CUBE: I plan to start my work from Tuesday when college reopens.

My objective is the find out Algal Diversity of Pagalapos wells.

To plan the experiment of sample collection and analysis I will need help from other CUBists😇.

I will like to start with collecting samples from pagalapos wells.

5 sample- wet well
5 sample- dry well
5 sample- semi dry well

We have a Plant Tissue Culture Chamber in my Botany Department. I will perform my sample analysis and all other things in that chamber.

I will use sterile Distilled water for revival of dry samples. I will add water in the sample and will check it the next day.

I can directly analyse wet samples by observing under a compound microscope.

Looking forward to comments and improvements that can be made. @⁨Arunan sir :smiling_face:⁩ @⁨Aditya Joshi⁩ @⁨Amirtha CUBE⁩ @⁩ @⁨Batul Ma’am⁩ @⁨Chithra Mam⁩ @⁨Theertha⁩ and others…

[21/01, 6:53 pm] Aditya Joshi: Great. Can we have a look at dry samples before adding water too? We might find some cysts or dormant states or drought resistant states of microbes. We may compare before n after.
Though m not sure.

Pagalapos at Acharya Narendra Dev College (ANDC).
• ANDC got several manhole lid.
• In this photo a manhole lid has two depressions one is having water and the other one is dried.

How to detect the presence of different organisms in these wells?

Photo: 25th Jan 2024.
Enas Shirin Fatma

Following photos shared by @Abhi0703

Gossip among CUBists in CUBE Somaiya College Lab. 20th January 2024. Somaiya Vidyavihar Mumbai.

Can you guess what was today chatshaala discussion in CUBE Somaiya College Lab? . Somaiya Vidyavihar Mumbai. 20th January 2024.

Can you guess what was today chatshaala discussion in CUBE Somaiya College Lab? . Somaiya Vidyavihar Mumbai. 20th January 2024. (photo 2).

@Abhi0703 @Enas why are we interested in Pagalapos?
What are we actually looking for?

Whiteboard summary of Chatshaala discussions:

Following is the summary written by @Enas .

Todays Chatshaala Discussion started with galapagos and pagalapos .

What is pagalapos ?
Which organism might be present there?
Why are we searching for it?
What is rotifer?

• @⁨~Charvi⁩ explained how humans evolved from monkey .
She given an example: One island (A) divided into two (A1 and A2) and A1 has evolved nowadays Monkey and A2 humans ( because of change in environment).

Apes and Monkeys have common ancestors.

:black_small_square:︎ From Apes humans have been evolved.

Between Apes and humans there is a series of organisms are present.

Then we disscussed about darwins finches.

:black_small_square:Galapagos ( a group of islands ).
Darwin has observed bird with different beak shape ( pointed, circular etc) on Galapagos islands.
:black_small_square:︎ Beaks are evolved in such a way that it helps in there eating the food.

Discussions :

[21/01, 8:31 am] Abhijeet CUBE: Are you convinced that Humans Evolved from Monkey from Charvi’s Explanation? @⁨Enas CUBE⁩ ?

[21/01, 9:15 am] Enas CUBE: I think humans evolved from Apes.

Humans are evolved from apes ? @Enas @Abhi0703 or both human and apes have common ancestor?

1 Like