Reversing arrow

[Interesting but not a very difficult task to be attempted]
Objects Required:- an empty glass,a glass filled with water and a piece of paper with an arrow drawn it.

STEP 1. Take the empty glass and place the piece of paper with an arrow on it behind the glass
Observation:- No change will be seen.

STEP 2. Now,take the glass filled with water and place the piece of paper with an arrow behind it.
Observation:- Direction of the arrow chnages.

Reason:-The light is refracted as it passes through the transparent glass,the water,then through the back of the transparent glass and finally through the air to the paper with horizontal arrow. This refraction causes the horizontal arrow to appear as if it is reversed.

7 Likes

Please Navroop can you explain the refraction of light through the glass with the help of an diagram so that its easy for us as I cant get the refraction part clearly

2 Likes

Yes i’ll do that by tommorow

2 Likes

Why don’t we try this at home and find out for ourselves. What say you?
@JSR302 @Pritika @vanshsskp123 @Pekka7532 @parmindermetla21 @rakshitmanhas @armaanbatth191

3 Likes

Uploading: 15905513355317755433754939519041.jpg…
On entering inta the glass medium light ray bends towards the normal that is light ray get refracted on entering the glass medium…Since ray goes from glass medium to air it again gets refracted and bends away from normal .The incident ray and the emargen are parallel to each other.[quote=“JSR302, post:2, topic:3927, full:true”]
Please Navroop can you explain the refraction of light through the glass with the help of an diagram so that its easy for us as I cant get the refraction part clearly

3 Likes

I was not able to post it with my answer so i posted it here

3 Likes

Really great work.

I would suggest that if you use images made by someone else, kindly give credit and add some information about the image.
Otherwise you can post the link of the original source.

Best way would be to draw or create on our own.

3 Likes