Simple flute making and investigation

Simple Flute

Do you know you can make a simple flute by using a straw! Here are some of the designs to do the same.
simpleFlute

(image credits: Arvind Gupta toys)

How to make?

• Using plastic straw Link
  • Using paper Link

How to measure the frequency of sound produced using a smartphone?

Now that you know how to make the flute, you can also measure the frequency of the sound produced using the smartphones. There are many different apps which can be used to do the same. To name a few:

• science journal
  • gStrings
  • DaTuner Lite

Here is an example of sample reading obtained by light whistling using using science journal application,

After this, several experiments can be designed around this. Here is journal note to study the variation of pitch of the sound with the straw length.

Here are some more investigative prompts:

Investigation prompts

What will happen to the pitch of the sound if you change the diameter of the straw?
What will happen to the pitch of the sound if you change the material of the straw?
What will happen to the pitch of the sound if you change the thickness of the straw?
Will there be a change in the pitch observed, if you measure it using different smartphones models? Why?
Will there be a change in the pitch observed, if you measure it during summer as compared to winters?
Will there be a change in the pitch observed, if you measure it on the top of Mt. Everest as compared to near the bottom?
How do you think the sound is produced in the flute?

References

arvind gupta toys (Toys from Trash)

4 Likes

Increase in length would decrease there pitch and vice versa.

If the length remains the same, increase in the diameter will lead to decrease in the pitch.

Pitch would remain the same but the tonal quality would change.

Theoretically no difference. But thicker material would changed the sound signature of the flute.

Theoretically no. But smart phone sensors may vary.

It’s possible for stringed instruments where thermal expansion could play a role. But shouldn’t affect even a steel flute.

Well, we’ll have to try that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: , but no difference.

Friction of the blown air with the edge of the blowing hole.

I hope I’ve done it correctly.

7 Likes

This is interesting. Thermal expansion of the source is another factor to look at. Can you elaborate on this? Also, isn’t the temperature of surrounding air results in the variation in the pitch of the sound which will be produced?

7 Likes

An experiment is underway. Please wait for results

6 Likes

Yes, it does!

5 Likes

what i do in this game i does’nt understand

2 Likes

Make a flute and see if it’s sound changes with temperature.
Make a string musical instrument and see if its sound changes with temperature.

3 Likes