So many Caterpillars

I saw this caterpillar on 12th August at 8:00 am in Nagpur

I later saw around the pot. There were 2-3 more. In fact, the entire pot was full of caterpillars.

I also noticed some eggs(?) in the pot.

The caterpillars were barely seen later during the day and also later during the week.
Can anyone help me identify these?

5 Likes

So do they show an circadian rhythm as well? @rohini

@bivasnag Looks like they show a circadian rhythm. I could see more comparatively in the morning than later during the day. I was at Nagpur only for a week. Hence, not very sure. Will try to get updates from someone at home in Nagpur.

3 Likes

For other users : A circadian rhythm is a roughly 24 hour cycle in the physiological processes of living beings, plants, animals, fungi and cyanobacteria. In a strict sense, circadian rhythms are endogenously generated, although they can be modulated by external cues such as sunlight and temperature.

3 Likes

the findings of @rohini will give us a other perspective of circardian rhythm in caterpillars @AJ.Bharath

2 Likes

@AJ.Bharath @bivasnag I got the following paper:

Also, note the caterpillars in this pot. If one sees carefully, there are at least 12 of them.

They are not very conspicuous. The grass in that pot, too is dotted. Interesting case of camouflage!

2 Likes

vow… i could spot 17 :bug: of them :smiley:

2 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes