Tailed Jay Butterfly : Observing the lifecycle & identifying the host plants in Homelabs

Caterpillars of Tailed Jay was collected by Cubists including @_Seema_11 @Arunan @Neha @anju Chauhan , myself & others from plants like False Ashoka & chamba tree .

Today through my window I observed that a green with Balck color butterfly I guess that was tailed Jay laying egg on a plant .i went there and I got two eggs from the leaf .Let’s look what he/she will become .
Host plant : Polyalthia
Place:Cherukkad ,Kozhikode
Date:26/08/2023
Time:1.50pm
Theertha.

Story of two siblings (I suspect they may siblings).
I observed on 28/08/2023 ,one tailed Jay laying eggs on a false Ashoka plant .I collected two eggs from the plant and kept them in a pot.Monoon longifolium - Wikipedia
Place: Cherukkad, Kozhikode.
Date:26/08/2023.
Theertha

Story of two tailed Jay butterflies
Date:29/08/2023.
Theertha

Story of two tailed Jay butterflies.
Date:31/08/2023.
Theertha

Date:5/09/2023 & 10/09/2023
Theertha

Date:13/09/2023 & 16/09/2023
Theertha

On 20/09/2023 B1 caterpillar became pupa.
Date:20/09/2023.
Theertha.

On 26/09/2023 B2 caterpillar became pupa.
I forgot to click the pupal stage photo of B2 .:roll_eyes:
Date:26/09/2023.
Theertha.

TODAY B2 turned in to tailed Jay butterfly but B1 not .

Date:11/10/2023
Theertha.

This what I observed inside B1 Pupa.:face_with_head_bandage::face_with_head_bandage::neutral_face:
What may the reason for this ? @⁨Sneha Maurya⁩ @⁨Ganga CUBE⁩ @⁨Kiran Mam⁩ @⁨Batul Ma’am⁩ @⁨~Dr.Dinesh Datta⁩ @⁨Seema CUBE⁩ @⁨Seethalakhmi⁩ & others
Date:11/10/2023
Theertha.

Today ,one of the tailed Jay butterfly emerged in Homelab , cherukkad, Kozhikode.
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/graphium-agamemnon

Date:9/11/2023.
Time :7.30am
Place : cherukkad,Kozhikode.
Theertha.

Following are the data collected by @Arunan sir

The Big Butterfly Challenge or BBC Caterpillar on Champa tree leaf, 19 October, 2023 Madel, Thivim, Goa Photo mcarunan

The Big Butterfly Challenge or BBC Caterpillar no 2, on Champa tree leaf, 19 October, 2023 Madel, Thivim, Goa Photo mcarunan

The Big Butterfly Challenge or BBC Caterpillar no 3, on Champa tree leaf, 19 October, 2023 Madel, Thivim, Goa Photo mcarunan

@Arunan sir wrote,

I propose this to be the caterpillar of Tailed Jay Butterfly or any of the following cited in the link below. Magnolia champaca | Butterfly.

The Big Butterfly Challenge or BBC Caterpillar no 4, on Champa tree leaf, 19 October, 2023 Madel, Thivim, Goa Photo mcarunan

Two day old Champa caterpillar culture, time to replinish with fresh Champa leaves, after cleaning of black feces. 25 October 2023 Madel, Thivim, Goa. Photo mcarunan

@_Seema_11 wrote in Context to curriculum WhatsApp,

@⁨Arunan sir⁩ sir gifting us tailed jay caterpillars …

Date:22/10/2023.

CHINTU the caterpillar gifted by @⁨Arunan sir⁩ sir on 22nd Oct, 2023… I have given them Ashoka tree, and one more unknown leaf to eat… Bcoz I feel that’s also can be it’s one of the host plant…

Date - 23/10/2023
location- St.Inez, Panaji
cube goa

i keep my caterpillars in this way… But sometimes they do come out of the net…

Updates of caterpillar that gifted by @Arunan sir to @_Seema_11 & @Neha .

updates from Neha’s Homelab

Added fresh Chapma and Ashoka leaves… Also made 4 holes on the list since it was sort of an air tight box Caterpillars collected from @⁨Arunan sir⁩ sir. Location : Sawantwadi, Sindhudurg

These are those 3 caterpillars

Caterpillar update: It’s not eating the leaves (neither Champa nor Ashoka). Instead it’s just climbing to the lid and secreting a sticky substance through its mouth. Can anyone guide if it is its regular behaviour before being into the pupa phase or is something wrong with it?? Data collector : Arya Rane (Class 9, Milagris Highschool Sawantwadi). Date: 25/10/2023. Time: 9.30 pm

Caterpillar update : Pupation phase has begun. Data collector : Arya Rane… Date: 27/10/2023. (Caterpillar collected from Arunan Sir…)

IMG-20231030-WA0003

Day 4 of Pupation of Tail Jay caterpillar Data collector : Arya Rane. Date: 30/10/2023

Tail Jay Caterpillar update. Day 5 of Pupation phase. Data collector : Arya Rane. Date: 31/10/2023

Caterpillar update. Pupation phase day 6. Data collector : Arya Rane. Date : 01/11/2023

Pupation phase of Tail Jay Caterpillar. DAY 7. Data collector : Arya Rane. Date : 02/11/2023. Location : Sawantwadi, Maharashtra

IMG-20231105-WA0061

Tail Jay caterpillar update. Seems like these are the final days of Pupation phase. (Day 9) Data collector: Arya Rane. Date : 05/11/2023. Location : Sawantwadi Sindhudurg, Maharashtra

Finally, here’s the Tail Jay butterfly (after 10 days of Pupation phase). But it’s wings are bent inward and it can’t fly. How did this happened?!? Any suggestions on what to do now!! Data collector : Arya Rane Date: 06/11/2023. Location : Sawantwadi, Sindhudurg Maharashtra

collected by Anju Chauhan from NES Ratanm college.

Date: 15/08 /2023
Time : 11:20am
We find the butterfly egg on Polyathia longifolia (common name : False Ashoka)
P.C : @⁨Anup CUBE⁩ @⁨Theertha⁩ @⁨Arunan sir⁩ @⁨Himanshu Joshi⁩ @⁨~Dr.Dinesh Datta⁩ and others

Time :05:38 pm
Date : 02-09-23
Location NES Ratnam College Cube (Zoology lab)
@⁨Theertha⁩ the caterpillar which you have is similar or same to this caterpillar which I have this is a caterpillar of tailed jay butterfly and it’s host plant is Polyathia longifolia (false Ashoka)