turtleArt | optical illusion

Turtle Art is a great way to explore mathematical and programming concepts in a fun and engaging way. This is inspired by LOGO.
Here is an example of image formed by repeating a simple sequence of instruction.

There is no one right answer. The same shape can be made by various approaches.
For example, square can be in a visual programming environment in multiple ways
sq2
sq3
sq1

The above is implemented in:

A similar square can be implemented in a text-based environment such as python by following a set of commands. python3 has an in-built library for turtle which supports many more features.
sq4

import turtle
t=turtle.Turtle()

t.forward(100)
t.right(90)
t.forward(100)
t.right(90)
t.forward(100)
t.right(90)
t.forward(100)
t.right(90)

The same can be achieved in lesser number of lines

import turtle
t=turtle.Turtle()

for i in range(4):
  t.forward(100)
  t.right(90)

One can install python3 start their exploration offline. There are also browser-based interfaces like repl.it to explore the same.
https://repl.it/languages/python_turtle

Here is the Challenge

Can you re-create the similar shape and figure out the basic sequence of instruction that is repeated to create this?

Here are 4 different images. Changing which value do you think is making the difference?

Can design some more similar challenges and share with us here?

Here is the soothing video which captures the generation of the above shapes

2 Likes

This reminds me of a toy from my childhood called Spirograph. I am not sure if you can still buy it in India, or for that matter, anywhere. But you might want to try and build one yourself in the maker lab. Eventually you can design one in OpenSCAD make it with your 3-D printer, but until you get access to the lab again, you might want to make a crude one with cardboard.

3 Likes

Spirograph is amazing! Although, I didn’t know the name that time. I bought this few years ago from outside metro in Delhi.

Yes, designing it on OpenSCAD is good idea.

This is another classic example of how NOT easy is to uncover mathematical principles from seemingly simple toys.

2 Likes

I have been searching for it for several years, including at the wholesale markets. Most blokes dont know what I am talking about.

1 Like

Yes. Must do a 3d print.

It used to be available at Mt Carmel Fair, an annual street festival in Bandra, till some years back. But recently, the fair got a bit gentrified.

It’s an exceptionally easy toy to make, though.