Understanding Biostatistics from Mango mapping data analysis

Congratulations to Kashyap @⁨Kashyap Sapekhati⁩ and CUBE Sapekhati for collecting mango tree data from Assam.

According to the data collected by Kashyap @⁨Kashyap Sapekhati⁩ today, 2 out of 2 were flowering.

When can we expect ripened mango fruit in Sapekhati, Assam?@⁨Susanta Tanti CUBE⁩ @⁨Kashyap Sapekhati⁩ @⁨~Sweety⁩ & others

According to the data collected by @⁨Prithviraj CUBE⁩ ,kerala mango flowering starts in August.
When are we expecting mango tree flowering in your places?@⁨Rahul CUBE⁩ @⁨Sakshi⁩ @⁨~Aastha⁩ @⁨Hina CUBE⁩ & others.

Indeed, the discussion was very informative. Thanks to @⁨Rahul CUBE⁩ @⁨~Aastha⁩ @⁨Kashyap Sapekhati⁩ &others .

As a part of Republic Day celebration,Cubists collected mango tree data across the country, total of 497 trees surveyed.

Suggestions came in today’s Chatshaala:@⁨Rahul CUBE⁩
1)If we say 60%flowering mango trees flowering and 40%non-flowering from the same place ,
What may be the reason for that ?
A)plant not yet matured !?
B) All mango tree may not flower every year
Can we observe mango tree that is there in your immediate surroundings for a long time to see what’s happening!?
Celebration of Goofups:
Data from Thiruvananthapuram:
Total trees observed:52
Flowering: = 39/52 = 75%
Non-flowering: 13/52 =25%.
Fruiting:- 6/52 = 11.53%
Percentage in 111!?
Through discussion we corrected that by replacing fruiting from flowering percentage.
Now :
Flowering: = 39/52 = 64%
Non-flowering: 13/52 =25%.
Fruiting:- 6/52 = 11.53%.

Analysis of mango flowering across the country. @⁨Rahul CUBE⁩ @⁨Arunan sir @⁨Prithviraj CUBE⁩ @⁨Kashyap Sapekhati⁩ @⁨Enas CUBE⁩ & others

Can we summarize our Republic Day Mango Map briefly!?

The collaborative research showed the beauty of teamwork.

While interpreting the mango tree data, @⁨Rahul CUBE⁩ ,simultaneously created a graph :chart_with_downwards_trend: depicting the results.

Thanks to @⁨Rahul CUBE⁩

The hypothesis was that mango flowering begins earlier in lower latitudes (e.g., Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala) compared to higher latitudes (Noida, Uttar Pradesh).

Can anyone summaries the bar diagram!?
@⁨~Khushi ⁩ @⁨~Madeeha Abrar⁩ @⁨~Aastha⁩ @⁨Sakshi⁩ @⁨Batul Ma’am⁩ @⁨Kashyap Sapekhati⁩ @⁨Enas CUBE⁩ @⁨Shraddha⁩ & others.

Group photographs of Chatshaala:19/02/2024

Follow up discussion in Context to Curriculum WhatsApp group

[20/02, 6:43 am] Aastha:

Summary of the bar diagram

Orange bar - non flowering mango trees

Green bar - flowering trees

Blue bar - fruiting trees

Conclusion from graph

1). A decreasing trend in flowering as we go up the latitude - Kerala (64%)> chattisgarh(56%)> uttar Pradesh(3%) { consider green bar here}

2). Fruiting only in Kerala ( blue bar ) represents early flowering in Kerala than other 2 states

3). Non flowering increases as we go up the latitude Kerala ( 25%)< chattisgarh ( 44%)< uttar Pradesh (87%). { Consider orange bar here}

I guess this much I understood. If I left something or did some mistake then correct me :grinning:@⁨Theertha⁩ and others

[20/02, 8:13 am] Arunan sir : Was this data of two mango trees collected randomly or that @⁨Kashyap Sapekhati⁩ and collaborators collected data of the selected Mango trees, which are flowering and avoided taking photos of the rest of Mango trees, in the area?

Can we use this to develop theme on Sampling? @⁨Theertha⁩ @⁨Rahul Master CUBE⁩ @⁨Aditya Joshi⁩ @⁨Lakshmy CUBE⁩ @⁨Amirtha CUBE⁩ @⁨Batul Ma’am⁩ @⁨Abhijeet CUBE⁩ and others.

[20/02, 8:55 am] Rakesh Biswas: Yes

How did we decide the sample size to be collected?

How did we ensure to minimize selection bias?
[20/02, 9:51 am] Theertha: You missed the group photograph🙂.
Is this expected ? What you will expect in last week of February in your place ? @⁨~Aastha⁩
[20/02, 9:52 am] Theertha: Yes .@⁨Kashyap Sapekhati⁩ mentioned that he thought we are only interested in flowering trees .,his place he found the non flowering mango trees too .Can you send the pictures!?@⁨Kashyap Sapekhati⁩ @⁨~Sweety⁩ & others

[20/02, 10:25 am] Arunan sir : First of all, it is nice if every one to pays attention to the Mango trees in their locality @⁨Rakesh Biswas⁩

Then, to see whether any Mango tree is flowering.

Next, to find what percentage of trees flower.
That takes us to more systematic documentation.
And whether the sample we have is representative of the population, with meaning of both terms.:innocent::face_with_monocle: @⁨Rakesh Biswas⁩

[20/02, 10:34 am] Rakesh Biswas: So our sampling universe is localized to humans and their localities.

The sample size here, I guess is dependent on the convenience of the humans participating in the sample collection aka convenience sampling.

I guess bias cannot be removed but if our aim is maximal coverage then the bias can be mitigated perhaps to some extent.

[20/02, 11:02 am] Vijaya tilak: Evoking curiosity!
We see many things around but never document and forget with time.
We regularly observe gulmohar, copper pod, mango, devils tree etc for flowering in a particular location and invite others to observe the same. No technology is used except our eyes and mobile for clicking!
My observation is:
There are many enthus who travel regularly and count and report.
Others walk around and get some information. Sharing is caring.

[20/02, 12:57 pm] Rakesh Biswas: Yes we need to be able to distinguish between the study design used in our research methodology especially if it’s :

quantitative, requiring statistical tools including estimation of sample size, removing bias etc

vs

Qualitative that doesn’t require the above tools but still requires documentation and meaningful sense making.

[20/02, 1:11 pm] Vijaya tilak: Qualitative!
Some time back I searched Google for this details like area, number of trees, only mango etc. I didn’t get a convincing article. There was one article on yield.
Based on that article you may think of some guidelines