Unveiling Nature's Artistry:Why a Phytochemists like Moth layed eggs on a Wall?

Can we call Moths and butterflies as a Phytochemists !!

Moths and butterflies are quite selective when it comes to choosing plants on which to lay their eggs ,they choose certain plant to lay eggs that called as Larval host plants .

LARVAL HOST PLANTS OF INDIAN MOTHS | Moths).&text=Theretra%20latreillii%20(Walker%2C%201856),%E2%80%93%20Latreille’s%20Hawkmoth%2D%20Begonia%20sp

This evening (10/08/2023), I noticed moth’s eggs on my sticky notes that attached to the wall.
Place : Cherukkad,Kozhikode.
Date:10/08/2023
Time :5.51pm
Theertha.

I have now observed both eggs and a moth near the bulb.

Google lens shows similarity with

What do you all think !!!

Are these eggs is of this moth !?

Place : Cherukkad,Kozhikode
Date:10/08/2023
Time :11pm
Theertha

Discussions from Context to Curriculum WhatsApp group.

[10/08, 11:54 pm] Dr. Binu Miss: This pattern of egg laying is of Moths usually @⁨Theertha⁩

[10/08, 11:54 pm] Theertha: Butterflies display true taxonomical behavior by selecting specific host plants for egg laying, whereas moths do not exhibit the same pattern!!!? As @⁨Charvi DSC⁩ mentioned yesterday may butterfly/moth seeking a place where she feel comfortable .!?

[10/08, 11:57 pm] Seema CUBE: Wow I’m first time looking at something like this… So interesting… Wondering why it choose that paper to lay eggs, how those eggs will hatch, doesn’t female moth know it’s host plant/fruit/vegetable… ? What material will be present along with egg that it sticks to the paper…?

[11/08, 12:02 am] shalinisharma: Oh interesting!! I wonder why the mother has choosen to lay eggs on the vertical surface where are chances of falling…are these sticky eggs? @⁨Theertha⁩

I teared that paper from that wall and added on a glass pot and covered that with a paper .Collected two plants (One is selaginella other one I am not aware of )and added it on the pot .
Any suggestions what we can give to them !?

Time :1.15am
Date:14/08/2028
Place :Cherukkad,Kozhikode
Theertha

[14/08, 10:14 am] shalinisharma: Most Arctiidae caterpillars feed on herbaceous plants and easy to rear. Some are feed on mosses and algae, which they need more moisture environment. They pupate in a loosen silken cocoon made of their hairs and other plants materials.

Tiger Moths - Family Arctiidae.

Not much information is available regarding this moth. So, I tried of finding its relative. As it comes under superfamily Arctiinae and some of the members of this family feeds on algae and moss.

Updates on Cubists Moth’s Eggs from CUBE Homelab:Cherukkad,Kozhikode
I added a few plants and observed their feeding behavior, but they did not taken the provided plants
Place:Cherukkad,Kozhikode
Time:1pm
Date:14/08/2023
Theertha

Later @⁨shalinisharma⁩sended me this photo and said me to search for this plant .This moth looks similar to the mother moth that layed those eggs.

I’m having difficulty identifying the exact plant leaf @⁨shalinisharma⁩ , but during my search, I found a leaf that closely resembles the photo you sent.
Randomly collected few plants and gave them to eat .
Time:3.08pm
Theertha

Breaking news

Larvae feeding those leaves :partying_face::partying_face:
Time:4.30pm
Theertha

Breaking news
Larvae feeding those leaves :partying_face::partying_face:
Time:8.30pm
Theertha

An update on the moth eggs that were on the wall of my room: Around 40 caterpillars have hatched from those eggs.
Date:16/08/2023
Time:12.02pm
Theertha .

The number of caterpillars was decreasing each time🙂 because I covered them with paper, which gets removed several times, causing them to come out of the pot.

Date:18/08/2023
Time:1.18pm
Theertha .

There are approximately 21 caterpillars. I recorded a video while I was changing the dried leaves inside the pot.
Date:18/08/2023
Time:1.18pm
Theertha .

Currently, I have only one caterpillar left🙂. Unfortunately, most of the caterpillars didn’t survive, indicating that they did not progress to the 2nd instar larvae stage. The remaining caterpillars are motionless & ant is trying to take them out.
Date:25/08/2023
Time:11pm
Theertha .

These is the *only one caterpillar that I am having now!:slightly_smiling_face:Celebration of Goofups !!
But i guess all these things happened due to the lack of Communication &collaboration from my side

Date:25/08/2023
Place:Cherukkad,Kozhikode .
Theertha .

After that day, on 26/08/2023, the caterpillar also died, probably because of dehydration . It was a mistake​:upside_down_face::upside_down_face:,But we are successfully identified the host plant for this caterpillar

Now, we just need to figure out exactly which plant it is. We’re waiting for it to bloom with flowers.

1 Like