WHAT HAPPENS IN A CAUSERIE OR ONLINE CHATSHALA

The causerie which is moderated by Dr Arunan and attended by Cubists from all over, school students, Undergraduates, graduates,post Docs all on the same platform talk and think about several questions that occur to them about the present research in biology and the simple model system which they are using to answer those questions.
In one such causerie, I attended Cubists were probing use of potato slice to isolate nematodes from soil.On that day I only knew that Nematodes was a Nobel prize winning model organism full stop.
“Not a single line was told to me about nematodes are by Dr Arunan.”
How they are collected and isolated in the lab? What are the characteristics of these organisms, where and how do they eat,live, reproduce? Their morphology/anatomy?
But in 6 days after attending the Causerie, I know quite a bit of the above and many more interesting things about nematodes. How?
This is the magic of CUBE and the Cubists especially Dr Arunan who is responsible towards this goal which he set out to achieve with Dr Obaid Siddiqui and Veronica Rodrigues of TIFR and at present with Dr Nagarjuna G.
I also realize why working with model organism is necessary, how it builds your knowledge of biology as compared to working with a science project.
As Cubists we will do our best to take this work further.
“Inspire and get lnspired”

Written by Batul Pipewala

5 Likes