Winogradsky column by Aristotle group

Group name-Aristotle. group member- garima upadhyay, anjali, Bhumika, gaurav.
@Darshana @AnjaliBora

Wingradsky Column
WHAT IS WINOGRADSKY COLUMN?

The Winogradsky column is a simple device for culturing a large diversity of microorganisms.

How to make a winogradsky column?

**1)**Use 1 plastic bottle Soil ,Pound water, Calcium ,Sulphur
Ammonium sulphate
Nacl ,carbohydrate. citric acid.

2) Ca=egg wall. Carbohydrate= sugar. citric acid= lemon. Ammonium sulfate= Baking soda. Sulphur=onion. Nacl = Solt

3) Supplementation of -0.25% w/w calcium carbonate and -0.50% w/w calcium sulfate or sodium sulfate is required (ground eggshell and egg yolk respectively are rich in these minerals), mixed in with some shredded newspaper or hay (for cellulose).

4An additional anaerobic layer, this time of supplemented mud, brings the container to two thirds full.

5)

The column is sealed tightly to prevent evaporation of water and incubated for several months in strong natural light.

The Winogradsky column is pretty very simple: its a tube full of mud, incubated in the light. The light encourages photosynthetic bacteria, and a whole bunch of other bacteria, to grow. Anyone who has taken an undergraduate microbiology lab has probably seen a Winogradsky column.

**My name is garima upadhyay. I live in Berinag City in Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand. I am learning science in Vigyanshala. We are working on a winogradsky column together with a group. There are four people in this group. We have taken 17 sample which are from different place in which we are experiment winogradsky. **

I Hope this experiment is okay and we can find out different things to know more about winogradsky.

To tell us about winogradsky, I would like to say Doctor Darshana Joshi mam thank you.

1 Like

Will you broadly identifying the types of bacteria?

mainly staphylococcus, diplococus,streptococcus,tetracocus,sarcinia,bacillus,vibrio,spirillum.