Celebration of BIG BUTTERFLY CHALLENGE : Butterfly challenge taken by Cubists

One day (8/08/2023), Charvi tried to find butterflies in her area. She claimed that she searched almost 10 curry leaf plants to find the caterpillars of the Common Mormon butterfly. I suggested to her that she could also search for other Rutaceae members to find the caterpillars of the Common Mormon. Later, she did not continue that further. Did I misguide her or cause her to lose interest?

The Butterfly Challenge actually began from @charvi at DSC College ,Delhi, who mentioned, there are no butterflies observed in her Homelab in Greater Noida. Then at that day of CUBE Chatshaala @Arunan offered us a Butterfly challenge.

Later, most of the Cubists took the initiative to locate butterflies in their respective areas.

24/09/2023 CUBE Chatshaala Discussion was on Butterflies How do butterfly Different from Fruitfly!

Later we came across the challenge that โ€˜How to find Butterfliesโ€™ !!
@Charvi says there was no snails in her area!!How can we find Butterflies.
Then we came up with Butterfly Challenge, Charvi,Me and Batul maโ€™am took that initiative further.

These are Pre - Day responses by Cubists .

CUBE Whatsapp group responses:

Challenge accepted
I will find tomorrow atleast five butterflies in my area ,Cherukkad ,Kozhikode .
Where do we find butterflies ?

@Charvi DSC says there no butterflies in her area and parallaly I misguided her to get butterflies :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:. But @Charvi DSC took that challenge along with other butterfly Collaboraters @Batul Maโ€™am to search for butterflies tomorrow .

I have seen 5 different types of butterflies in this month in my surroundings what about you?@Charvi DSC @Theertha @Abhijeet CUBE @Aditya Joshi @Shraddha CUBE@shalinisharma and others.

Charvi:
So, As theertha mentioned, I will collaborate with @Batul Maโ€™am @Theertha and other butterfly collaborators and try finding butterflies in my locality . Let us all try finding butterflies around us @Smiti CUBE @Shraddha CUBE @Arunan sir @Abhijeet CUBE and others.

psyche butterfly taken by Dr. M Binumol on Oct 05 2020 @Cube Home Lab Tattamangalam.

Butterfly spotted on the flowers of Ixora .
Date:24/09/2023
Time :5.18pm
Place :Cherukkad,Kozhikode
Theertha

Observed one yellow colored butterfly on Chassalia curviflora .
Place:Cherukkad,Kozhikode
Date:25/09/2023
Time :8.45am
Theertha

Chassalia curviflora

Habit:shrubs.
Leaves simple, opposite decussate;
Flower: calyx short, 5-lobed;
corolla: tubular,5 .
Androecium :Stamen:5
Gynoecium :Style bifid

Time :8.45am
Theertha

Psyche Butterfly ,Observed two dark spots on the upper wing .

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/leptosia-nina

The upper forewing has a black spot on a mainly white background .Leptosia nina - Wikipedia.
Time :10.16am
Theertha

Observed an orange colored butterfly.
Time :11.38am
Theertha .

Five ring butterfly

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/ypthima-tabella
Time :11.46am
Theertha

Blue moon, male .

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/hypolimnas-bolina

They actually consist of a white center overlain by bright ultraviolet iridescence, a colour generated by nanostructures on the wing scale surface.[6] Numerous smaller white spots fringe the fore- and hindwings.[7][8] The ventral surface lacks any ultraviolet iridescence and consists essentially of banded white markings set against a brownish background.

Time :11.48am
Theertha .

Common crow

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/euploea-core

Time :11.50am
Theertha

Blue moon, Female .

โ€œThe genetics of the mimetic butterfly Hypolimnas bolina (L.)โ€. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London . Series B, Biological Sciences. 272 (917): 229โ€“265.

Time :12.56pm
Theertha .

Common mormon , Female .
Time :12.57pm
Theertha

Finally I found a garden of marigold that planted by Kudumbsree members during onam Festival .Special mention Kindly take a look into the name of the butterfly that I had mention in each photo/video and let me know the corrections too.
Date:25/09/2023.
Time:5.30pm
Place :Cherukkad,Kozhikode.

Glassy tiger.

Time :5.30pm
Theertha .

Common jezebel

Theertha

Blue tiger moth .

Theertha .

Common caster butterfly .
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/ariadne-merione
Theertha .

Celebration of Big butterfly month
Butterfly challenge
Common Mormon on ixora plant & a white colored butterfly nearby.
Place :Balussery , Kozhikode
Date:27/09/2023
Time:10.10am.
Theertha .

@Shraddha CUBE i tried to follow but I didnot got a clear view of this white colored butterfly.Any thing interesting in this video !?@Shraddha CUBE

BIG BUTTERFLY CHALLENGE
Pierrot Butterfly
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/tarucus-spp
Genus:Tarucus
Malayalam name:เดจเดพเดŸเตเดŸเตเด•เต‹เดฎเดพเดณเดฟ(Nattu komali)

Meaning in english :Country clown.

Date:29/09/2023
Place :Cherukkad, Kozhikode
Time:4.35pm
Theertha

Grass dart Butterfly
Genus:Taractrocera
Malayalam name:เดฎเดžเตเดžเดชเตเดชเตเตฝเดคเตเดคเตเดณเตเดณเตป(Manjappulthullan)

/เดชเตเดฒเตเดฒเต‚เดณเดฟ เดถเดฒเดญเด‚(Pulluli butterfly)

Meaning in english:Yellow grass/Grasshopper butterfly
Theertha

Five ring Butterfly.

GENUS:Ypthima
Malayalam name:เดชเดžเตเดšเดจเต‡เดคเตเดฐเดฟ(Panjanethri)

Meaning in english:fiverring
Theertha

common sailer
Genus:Neptis hylas (Linnaeus, 1758) - Common Sailer | Butterfly
Malayalam Name:เดชเตŠเดจเตเดคเดšเตเดšเตเดฑเตเดฑเตป(Pondhachuttan)
เดชเตŠเดจเตเดคเดšเตเดšเตเดฑเตเดฑเตป - เดตเดฟเด•เตเด•เดฟเดชเต€เดกเดฟเดฏ
Meaning in english:
Theertha

Medus Brown
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/orsotriaena-medus
Genus:Orsotriaena
Malayalam Name:เด•เดฑเตเดชเตเดชเตป(Karuppan)

Meaning in english:Blackman
Theertha

Grey Pansy
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/junonia-atlites
Genus:Junonia
Malayalam Name:เดตเดฏเตฝเด•เตเด•เต‹เดค(Vayalkkotha)

Meaning in english:is a butterfly that flies in fields
Time:5.35pm
Theertha

Psyche butterfly
In Malayalam:เดชเตŠเดŸเตเดŸเตเดตเต†เดณเตเดณเดพเดŸเตเดŸเดฟ(pottuvellatti)
เดชเตŠเดŸเตเดŸเตเดตเต†เดณเตเดณเดพเดŸเตเดŸเดฟ - เดตเดฟเด•เตเด•เดฟเดชเต€เดกเดฟเดฏ.
This is what Wikipedia says๐Ÿ™‚
Psyche is the Greek goddess of the soul and often represented as a beautiful woman with butterfly wings.[3] The name Psyche means โ€œsoulโ€ in Greek[4] and was commonly referred to as such in Roman mythology as well, though direct translation is Anima (Latin word for โ€œsoulโ€).
Psyche (mythology) - Wikipedia
Time:5.35pm
Theertha

2 Likes

Atlas moth

Local name in Malayalam:เดธเตผเดชเตเดชเดถเดฒเดญเด‚
Meaning in english:Snake moth
How big this moth is :thinking:
Place: cherukkad, Kozhikode
Date:.14/10/2023
Time: 11.46am
Theertha

Suffused Snow Flat Butterfly.
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/tagiades-gana
Local name in Malayalam:เดนเดฟเดฎเดชเตเดชเดฐเดชเตเดชเตป
เดนเดฟเดฎเดชเตเดชเดฐเดชเตเดชเตป - เดตเดฟเด•เตเด•เดฟเดชเต€เดกเดฟเดฏ.
Time: 11.46am
Theertha

Grey pancy
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/junonia-atlites
Local name in Malayalam: เดตเดฏเตฝเด•เตเด•เต‹เดค

Meaning in english:the field lady ( I guess)
Time: 2pm
Theertha

Common Cerulean.
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/jamides-celeno.
Local name in Malayalam:เดชเตŠเดŸเตเดŸเตเดตเดพเดฒเดพเดŸเตเดŸเดฟ
เดชเตŠเดŸเตเดŸเตเดตเดพเดฒเดพเดŸเตเดŸเดฟ - เดตเดฟเด•เตเด•เดฟเดชเต€เดกเดฟเดฏ
Theertha

Lemon Pansy
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/junonia-lemonias
Local name in Malayalam:เดชเตเดณเตเดณเดฟเด•เตเด•เตเดฑเตเดฎเตเดชเตป

Theertha

Bluemoon ,female
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/hypolimnas-bolina
Local name in Malayalam:เดตเตป เดšเตŠเดŸเตเดŸเดถเดฒเดญเด‚

Theertha

Common crow.
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/euploea-core
Local name in Malayalam:เด…เดฐเดณเดฟ เดถเดฒเดญเด‚

Theertha

OBSERVATIONS BY CUBISTS

Time:- 05:28pm
Date:- 25-09-23
Data collecter:Anup mourya.

By @Dr. binumol

By @magpie

By Ganga

By Vijaya tilak

What would be the correct method to find out this butterfly 's nameโ€ฆ

Data collector - Seema Suthar
Location - GDC, Goa
Date - 27-09-2023

I released this Butterfly in my college garden NES Ratnam college in Bhandup. Date:-27/09/2023 Time :- 1:16pm by Sneha mourya.

24.9.23 Butterflies :butterfly: in the Forest
At Kondavshi, Rajapur
Priti Kanade

Butterflies around meโ€ฆ location nearby Siliguri Mahananda wildlife sanctuaryโ€ฆ plant name: unknown butterfly name: unknown
By Dr.Nagarjuna.

Mating of butterflies ,on Amla tree . Time -2:04 pm Date-28 sep 2023 address Narayangaon , Pune (home garden).By Divya darshini

Another guest visited to my balcony on Vinca flowers for the nectar :partying_face::partying_face:. This photo taken by my mom :star_struck:date of photo - 28/9/23.time-9:31am location -Panvel Maharashtra.

By @Shraddha276

Largest butterfly I have seen till date itโ€™s about palm size โ€ฆ captured on 18 July 2021 location East Sikkim by Dr Nagarjun

Time-1040AM,29th Sept.Location-Narketpally.Data collector-Dinesh

Is it Common Mormon?? Looks like it is trying to defecate or lay eggs on this citrus plant captured on 29.09.2023 at East Sikkim by Dr Nagarjun

What butterfly is this? Also I found that many butterflies attracted to wet sandโ€ฆ any other cubist has such observation? Captured on 29.09.2023 at East Sikkim by Dr Nagarjun.

By Dr Nagarjun.

Is this Tawny coster? Captured on 11.03.2021 at Allapuzha, Kerala .By Dr Nagarjun.

Dr.Nagarjun

Which butterfly is this chocolate coloured one might be? Captured on 20.09.2019 Allapuzha Kerala by Dr Nagarjun

Common crow butterfly feeding nector of cosmos plant.By Lakshmy.

Egg larva and pupa @ citrus :tangerine: plant @โจTheerthaโฉ excited :grin: by Dr.Nagarjun

By Vijaya tilak.

I can identify the butterfly but not the plant! The butterfly is Long Banded Silverline. A friend says they are not very common to find here at Ashoka University campus. What about other places? Has anyone seen it around their place? This one is around the size of a โ‚น1 coin. by @Rahul.

Is this a moth or a butterfly :butterfly:โ€ฆfound this in my hostel window on 30 th September, 2:30 pm. by Ashrita.

By Vijaya tilak

These our most cute and energetic butterflies at IWSA today!by Vijaya tilak.

By Vijaya tilak.

Bโ€ฆ

By @sneha mourya

Blue moon butterfly according to googleโ€ฆ

Data collector - SEEMA SUTHAR
location - Verna, Goa
Date-1/10/2023

By Dr AP Jayaraman.

By Nidhi

See what I also found on lemon plantโ€ฆ

I had seen ur post today morning, now I was just looking at my plants and found thisโ€ฆ

2 eggs of butterflyโ€ฆ

What did u do with those eggs? @โจAbhijeet CUBEโฉ
They are of common Mormon rightโ€ฆ

Data collector - Seema Suthar
Cube Goa
Location - St.Inez Panaji
Date- 2-10-2023

Butterfly with falsified headโ€ฆ captured at South Goa by Dr Nagarjun May be it is Male Common silverline butterfly @โจTheerthaโฉ and others

Butterfly spotted on spider lily plant โ€ฆ location Siliguri on 02.10.2023 by Dr Nagarjun looks Royal :grin:

By Madeeha .

Noticed similar moth but a darker oneโ€ฆ at Siliguri on 04.10.2023 by Dr Nagarjun

On 20-9-2023, I got a caterpillar from the tulsi plant. In order to understand which butterfly or moth emerges from it, I decided to observe it. I kept the caterpillar in a plastic box with holes on the top. Provided tulsi leaves to eat. On 21-9-2023, I found out that the caterpillar underwent one round of moulting ( shedding exoskeleton). On 24- 9- 2023, it underwent another round of moulting. On 1- 10- 2023, it became pupa. Before pupation the caterpillar stops feeding, becomes inactive, and becomes small. I fail to update that on the CUBE curriculum. On 9-10- 2023, the pupa emerges into a moth. When I went through a Google search I found out the moth is Spodoptera litura.

By Ganga

11 October 2018 Butterfly catch B.Desai Road, South Mumbai Photo mcarunan

Poorly captured video of butterfly/moth.Data collector-Dinesh.Place-Hyderabad.10 AM,10th october

By Ganga

By @Shraddha276

GROUP PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE DISCUSSIONS

Check this link for more photos.
Data collected by @Abhi0703 .

Grass Demon :Butterfly
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/udaspes-folus
Local name :เดตเต†เดณเตเดณเดšเตเดšเดพเดคเตเดคเตป

Date:6/10/2023
Time: 2.06pm
Theertha

Peacock pansy
https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/junonia-almana
Local name:เดฎเดฏเดฟเด•เตเด•เดฃเตเดฃเดฟ(eyes of a peacock)

Date:5/10/2023
Time: 6.25pm
Theertha

Allelochemicals X? @โจTheerthaโฉ @โจGanga CUBEโฉ 14 October 2019. B Desai Road, South Mumbai Photo Arunan CUBE Archives

The Big Butterfly Challenge or BBC Caterpillar on Champa tree leaf, 19 October, 2023 Madel, Thivim, Goa Photo mcarunan

The Big Butterfly Challenge or BBC Caterpillar no 2, on Champa tree leaf, 19 October, 2023 Madel, Thivim, Goa Photo mcarunan

The Big Butterfly Challenge or BBC Caterpillar no 3, on Champa tree leaf, 19 October, 2023 Madel, Thivim, Goa Photo mcarunan

I propose this to be the caterpillar of Tailed Jay Butterfly or any of the following cited in the link below. https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/magnolia-champaca
Comments please.

The Big Butterfly Challenge or BBC Caterpillar no 4, on Champa tree leaf, 19 October, 2023 Madel, Thivim, Goa Photo mcarunan

Big Butterfly Challenge
Inspired by @โจArunan sirโฉ
Found similar Caterpillar on False Ashoka .
Is this a season for Tailed Jay Butterfly?
Are butterflies seasonal organisms?
Time:11.18am
Date:19/10/2023
Place: Cherukkad, Kozhikode
Theertha

Champa tree Caterpillar maintenance set up 2 nd Day, Madel, Thivim, Goa. Four caterpillars of early stages from Champa tree leaves collected on 19 October 2023. photo dated 20 October 2023 mcarunan

Champa tree Caterpillar maintenance set up 2 nd Day, Madel, Thivim, Goa. Four caterpillars of different stages from Champa tree leaves collected on 19 October 2023. Two more developed caterpillars out of four show green color. photo dated 20 October 2023 mcarunan

@โจArunan sirโฉ sir gifting us tailed jay caterpillars โ€ฆ
By seema

Tail Jay caterpillar having its lunch time

By Neha rane

BBC
We found three pupae on the branches of Babool plant. Two bigger and one smaller pupa. Take home for further observation by @โจTiku Kashyapโฉ and one by myself. It might emerge today๐Ÿง.

Cube Sapekhati, 21/10/2023
By @Susanta_Tanti

Butterfly Activity Pattern Study Madel, Thivim, Goa 21 October 2023 No Butterfly at 8 am Photo mcarunan

Common Crow or mimic of Common crow? 21 October 2023 10:20 am Butterfly Activity Pattern studies. Madel,Thivim, Goa Photo mcarunan

Mid noon sighting of butterfly at Madel, Thivim, Goa 12:06 pm 21 October 2023 Photo mcarunan

Forenoon sighting of butterfly, looks like Psyche, at Madel, Thivim, Goa 10:34 am 21 October 2023 Photo mcarunan

Forenoon sighting of butterfly looking like Common crow or its mimics, at Madel, Thivim, Goa 10:20 am, 21 October 2023 Photo mcarunan

Any similarity with this butterfly!?@โจArunan sirโฉ
Bluemoon female ./great eggfly .by Theertha

Place: Cherukkad, Kozhikode.
Time:2pm
Date:21/10/2023
Theertha

By Dr.Nagarjun

Aglais species butterfly? Cashmirensis has a difference from ladakensisโ€ฆ!!! common name Tortoise shell!! captured on 20.10.2023 at Gangtok Sikkim by Dr Nagarjun

Lemon pansy butterflyโ€ฆ may be trying to find a host plantโ€ฆ plants in background are of Mureiya(curry leaf) and clitoria ternteaโ€ฆ I couldnโ€™t find any eggs or pupa aroundโ€ฆ captured at Siliguri, West Bengal on 17.10.2023 by Dr Nagarjun

By Dr.Nagarjun

By N.Sucheta

Common palm fly couldnโ€™t capture a better picture on 10.10.2023 at Siliguri West Bengal by Dr Nagarjun

By Dr.Nagarjun

Small branded shift captured on 10.10.2023 at Siliguri West Bengal by Dr Nagarjun

By Dr Nagarjun

Swallow tail butterflyโ€ฆ is it common banded peacock?? captured on 17.10.2023 at East Sikkim by Dr Nagarjun

Is it Psyche? By Dr Nagarjun

Grass Demon place:Malappuram, Kerala Date: 23-10-2023

In grass Demon the upper side is dark brown. It has scattered white patches on the forewing which are smaller in the distal parts than in the basal part. The hindwing has a large white patch on the centre. The underside is dark reddish-brown which is somewhat obscured by the pure white scales that cover most of the hindwing

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/folus

In Malayalam - velachathan
เดตเต†เดณเตเดณเดšเตเดšเดพเดคเตเดคเตป
By Ganga

23/10/2023
Data Collector: Prof. Farhaan Makba

Royal College, Mira Road
By Farhaan

Photos and videos of caterpillar found by one of my friendโ€ฆ
Location - GDCH, Goaโ€ฆ
Date - 23-10-23

By @seema

Butterfly looks lazy to get up at 8:10 am 24 October 2023 Madel, Thivim, Goa Photo mcarunan

Newly emerged butterfly from pupaโ€ฆ

what should I do with herโ€ฆlet her goโ€ฆ??

date -25/10/23
location - St.Inez Panjim
By @_Seema_11

Butterfly and Lemon plant as host plant, one year ago. 24 October 2022 Assagaon, Goa. Photo mcarunan

Looks like Common Grass Yellow butterfly spotted inspired by the Big Butterfly Challenge thrown open by @โจTheerthaโฉ 26 October 2023 11:21 am Madel, Thivim, Goa Photo: mcarunan

https://www.ifoundbutterflies.org/eurema-hecabe

By @_Seema_11

BBC : Date 29/10/2023 Time : 10.00 AM. Location : Sonari, Assam. Mobile Video: susanta tanti

Cupping and clapping, erratic, twisting and turning pattern of flying of butterflyโ€ฆ is it psyche butterfly? @โจTheerthaโฉ #BBC Big Butterfly Challengeโ€ฆ slow motion video at East Sikkim on 04.11.2023 by Dr Nagarjun

Did anyone noticed this behaviour of Common Mormon caterpillar?? @โจTheerthaโฉ #BBC video shot on 13.11.2023 at East Sikkim by Dr Nagarjun

I replied in context to Curriculum group that ,

I hope you might also got some kind of smell too ?
This structure is called as Osmeterium .

The osmeterium is a defensive organ found in all papilionid larvae, in all stages. [1] The organ is situated in the prothoracic segment and can be everted when the larva feels threatened. The everted organ resembles a fleshy forked tongue (not unlike a snake tongue), and this along with the large eye-like spots on the body might be used to startle birds and small reptiles.

when the larva is disturbed in any way emitting a foul, disagreeable odor which serves to repel ants,[2] small spiders[3] and mantids.[4] To humans, this odour is rather strong but not unpleasant

I also found this on Common mormon caterpillar,

& Observed in tailed Jay too .In tailed Jay the color was in light green.

Encountered these caterpillars on the road while travelling in East Sikkimโ€ฆ can anyone identify them?? Shot on 12.11.2023 at East Sikkim by Dr Nagarjun #BBC @โจTheerthaโฉ

Forgot to shoot in slow motionโ€ฆ because of some work hurryโ€ฆ if you can slide video frame to frame you can observe violescent white dots over forewingโ€ฆ blue crow?? @โจTheerthaโฉ #BBC shot on 13.11.2023 at East Sikkim by Dr Nagarjun โ€ฆwill try to take better video if I find it again!.

The Big Butterfly Challenge or BBC from retrospect 4 March 2019, B. Desai Road, Mumbai Photo mcarunan

Butterfly Challenge continued at B.Dedai Road, South Mumbai 9 January 2024 Photo mcarunan

Troides helena
The common birdwing, is a butterfly belonging to the family Papilionidae. It is often found in the wildlife trade due to its popularity with butterfly collectors. The butterfly has seventeen subspecies. Data:17/01/2024 Time:1.40 pm. Place: peruvemba, palakkad. Data collected by Sneha.p.j

Photo by @lakshmy

Close up view of Psyche :butterfly:. Back side of wings visible with green sripes on white background.
Margin of Wings with hairs.
Green coloured eyes with black spots.
Antenna with black and white stripes. Tip of antene looks wider with hairs.
Does my description matching to the photo @โจ~Shraddhaโฉ @โจshalinisharmaโฉ @โจArunan sirโฉ @โจChithra Mamโฉ @โจHimanshu Joshiโฉ @โจTheerthaโฉ @โจKiran Maโ€™am :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:โฉ @โจBatul Maโ€™amโฉ and others

New Psyche :butterfly:butterfly emerged from pupae in white container. Also one more :bug:caterpillar is spotted
Date:21/12/2023
Place:Mampilly, Thrissur, Kerala

In Black container one pupae+ 3 new caterpillars spotted
Date: 21/12/2023
Place:Mampilly, Thrissur, Kerala

Photo by @kashyap from CUBE Sapekhati

By Sneha mourya from NES Ratnam college .

By @Batul maโ€™am.