short term objective:- To culture moina
long term objective:- To study epigenetics in moina

Plan Of Work:-
me and @spandan_b

requirements:-
1.)3 plastic bottles
2.)DC Water (750 ml)
3.)[approx] 15-20 moina
4.)dropper and 250ml measuring cylinder.
5.)milk [nutrition of moina]

PROTOCOL:-
1.)Take 250ml DC water in measuring cylinder and pour it in plastic bottle.
2.)Take 5 moina [approx] with the help of dropper and transfer it in plastic bottle
containing DC water 250 ml.
3.)With the help of dropper put 1 drop of milk as a nutrtion to moina for their growth.
4.)Repeat the procedure and make more 2 bottles to culture moina.

4 Likes

Please send pictures of your setup.
Please also send daily report with picture of your cultures at home/college

What do you mean by studying epigenetics in moina?
Can you explain how are you going to study epigenetics with moina?

@Itzmeshantanu @Spandan_b

3 Likes

@Itzmeshantanu from RJ college making moina culture.

4 Likes

@Spandan_b from RJ college

4 Likes

Both please tell us about what’s your objective and how are you trying to achieve it … why declorinated water? Why 1drop why not 6drops ? Why only milk why not any other food ?

3 Likes

our objective is to make many bottles (approx 20)as we dont have moina in our rj college.so that after culturimg moina we can study epigenitics in moina{that is the genetic expression in moina in presence of less amount of oxygen }

3 Likes

yes we will be updating our moina culture setup update .
epigenetics in moina -that is the genetic expression in moina in presence of less amount of oxygen }

moina culture update - moinas in all three bottle cultures prepared yesterday (27/09/19) are same ,there is no increase in there no.

2 Likes

cube RJ
date : 28/09/19

objective: count the no.of moinas in the moina bottle culture in my home.

umm i took 250 ml dc water in 2 bottles then put approx 5 moinas in each then put 1 drop of milk (for its feeding) ,i stared my culture on 25/09/19 ,now its no. is increased to approx 10.

(special thanks to @drishtantmkawale from eliphinstone college for giving me 10 moinas from his college & @Sjuday2527 for guiding me how to make and maantain the moina cultures)

2 Likes

So @Spandan_b @Itzmeshantanu @Jyotiraditya
How are you planning to study Moinas?.. infact Epigenetics in Moina?

Please keep us updated with your plan of work, cultures…!

Suggestion: Try to upload photos and reference to support your hypothesis, ask questions regarding it. It would sum up to a great circle of knowledge.:v::smile:

3 Likes

sure ,i will shortly update with pictures of our moina culture.

Basically after our moina culturing is done(we get around 100 moinas)we will make 2 hypoxia condition bottle and 1 control for that,then we will observe the genetic expression in moina that is their colour changes red from transparent(as similar in human beings that when we go to a mountain area from a plain area our body also show some changes that is our nose tip ,ear ,some part of ou face becomes a pale red,this is due heamoglobin is secreated more at that time as oxygen is less in that areas)

2 Likes

Why not start making now (the hypoxia bottles)?

You can start even with a single moina. I did it with a single moina and there were around 100 moinas in a week or so!

See, Haemoglobin is not secreted! It is present already because of which we get oxygen right? Just the thing is that it is produced extra.

3 Likes

Actually the genes responsible for haemoglobin starts synthesising more of haemoglobin and so there is more reddish color observed in the moinas

2 Likes

I have a question…can we estimate how red is the moina ??? Imean what’s the intensity of red color ? And what’s the maximum limit i.e. what’s the darkest red which moina can be ? :thinking::star_struck: What’s are your thoughts on this @drishtantmkawale @Spandan_b @pratittodkar @jtd

3 Likes

We can even search for how red humans cnan become due to excess of haemoglobin and what’s the maximum amount of haemoglobin that can be synthesized because of expression of haemoglobin genes. And also the genes for haemoglobin in humans are similar to moinas or not ?

3 Likes

i dont think that the intensity of red colour in moina differs from moina to moina,but still we could give it a try :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

@Sjuday2527 yes i am also very eager to know this (the genes for haemoglobin in human are similar to moinas or not)

@drishtantmkawale you were talking about some crushing moina experiment,is that the way to determine the the genes for haemoglobin in human are similar to moinas or not :cold_face:

3 Likes

ummm we are not making any hypoxia bottle now as due we dont have any moina culture in our college so, we cant make a control culture for this and you all only said for any exp control is necessary :face_with_head_bandage::face_with_head_bandage:.

but surely within a week or so we will be making our hypoxia moina cultures

oh haa thanks for that haemoglobin clarification ,i had just got confused:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What’s this crushing experiment??? Please share with us too…

2 Likes

I think according to me a microscope shows original color. So we can just calibrate our phone using a spectroscope with the help of @jtd and measure the color accurately or we could take same image with a camera and just measure rgb values for that particular moina picture since cameras do give raw images.

2 Likes

Sure…why not :yum:let’s try it today itself.

2 Likes