Does Sprouting Potato inhibits growth of Microbes?

Around 8th Nov 2023, there was a discussion about nervous systems and neurons of Nematodes in the CUBE Context 2 Curriculum WhatsApp group. @magpie ma’am from Kolkata was actively engaged in this discussion. She had been isolating soil nematodes on potato slices for a long time(You can learn about her work here To Isolate and identify nematodes from soil at home lab) and on 9th Nov 2023 she again put up a setup for the isolation of soil nematodes. Soil nematodes feed on bacteria which grow as the potato degrades. Usually, bacterial growth is observed in 48 hours, but this time she didn’t get any microbial growth till 7 days!! She writes: “I was concentrating on observing nematodes come out of soil to microbial growth on potato surface as they eat bacteria.However as 2days passed,3,4,and today 5 the potato slices with soil and the control showed no signs of microbial growth and nor any nematode movement.”

Photo: Potato slice on day 5. Homelab Kolkata, BatulP, 13/11/23

Later the discussion started so as to know why this could have happened and Madeeha observed that the potato she used was sprouting!! Batul ma’am writes: “When I posted the pics of my set up on day 5,@~Madeeha Abrar noticed that the potato had begun sprouting leaf and simultaneously there was a question why the potato slices are not decaying though exposed to microbes from air and soil.This is when it struck me that the two could be related.A quick Google search showed sprouting of potato increases a toxic chemical steroidal glycoalkaloid.These inhibit growth of nematodes, fungi and other pathogens.Hurrah! We have discovered that sprouting potato is not fit for isolating nematodes from soil.”

BUT AS CUBISTS WE NEED TO PROVE IT BY REPLICATION OF SETUP!!
In ChatShaala Discussion we made the design for the experiment.

Objective:
To Verify or Falsify if sprouted potato inhibits microbial growth.

Hypothesis:
Sprouted potatoes will inhibit the growth of microbes.

Design

1. :sparkles: 1 Sprouted Potato (SP) cut in half so as to get two slices(A&B therefore SPA &SPB)
    :sparkles: SPA will be the control and SPB will be the test in which I will add soil from my balcony pot along the periphery

2. 1 Non-Sprouted Potato(NSP) will be cut in half to get 2 slices (NSPA & NSPB). NSPA will be control and NSPB will be the test in which I will add same soil from my balcony pot along the periphery.

3 Likes

Following this i initiated this experiment in my homelab.

This box I will be using for the experiment. I washed it before using with soap and water. CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 15th November 2023.

I collected soil from my balcony pot. In this pot the Yellow Oleander plant is growing. The soil is moist and soft. I just took 4-5 spoon. CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 15th November 2023.

I took one old Sprouting potato and one new potato which came into the market with no sprouts. Cut it into two halfs. CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 15th November 2023.

After putting soil in SPB and NSPB I added milk in the centre. CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 15th November 2023.

Then kept it in the box . CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 15th November 2023.

2 Likes

Update on microbial growth on potato experiment Post 24hrs
The Above photograph is of Sprouted Potato(SP). SPA is Control and SPB is test. The photo on the left is taken using Mobile Flashlight and on the right is taken without Flashlight.
EXPECTATIONS: No growth of microbes either on test or control slice.
OBSERVATIONS: Control slice shows no growth and us dry and Test slice shows slimy growth on the slice surface and cottony growth on soil. I used a flashlight because the slimy growth clearly reflects the light making it visible.
CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 16th Nov 2023. Photo: Abhijeet Singh.

Update on microbial growth on potato experiment Post 24hrs
The Above photograph is of Sprouted Potato(NSP). NSPA is Control and NSPB is test. The photo on the right is taken using Mobile Flashlight and on the left is taken without Flashlight.
EXPECTATIONS: Growth of microbes either on test and control slice.
OBSERVATION: The control slice is totally dry. The test slice shows slimy growth on the surface which is visible in right photo where light is reflecting from the slimy growth.
CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. Photo: Abhijeet Singh

Magnified photo of SPB(Sprouted Potato Test slice) CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 16th Nov 2023. Photo: Abhijeet Singh

Magnified photo of NSPB(Non Sprouted Potato Test slice) CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 16th Nov 2023. Photo: Abhijeet Singh

Magnified photo of SPB(Sprouted Potato Control slice) CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 16th Nov 2023. Photo: Abhijeet Singh

Magnified photo of NSPB(Non Sprouted Potato Control slice) CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 16th Nov 2023. Photo: Abhijeet Singh

Observation after approx 32hrs Sprouting Potato Slice. CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 16th Nov 2023. Photo AbhijeetSingh.

Observation after approx 32 hrs Non sprouting Potato Slice. CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 16th Nov 2023. Photo AbhijeetSingh.

In this video just towards the start I can see some movement. This is sprouted potato slice with soil and milk after 35hrs. CUBE Homelab Ulwe Navi Mumbai. 16th Nov 2023. Video: AbhijeetSingh. I cannot get it more magnified. 10x zoom from mobile camera.

:partying_face:As one of the collaborator @Abhijeet Singh has joined @Batul Ma’am ma’am

:sparkles: Aim:- To verify or falsify whether sprouts on potato inhibits the growth of microbes.

:sparkles: Design:- 2 Sprouted potato slices one with soil at periphery of potato slice and milk at the centre (SPB) while on other slice just a drop of milk has been added at the centre (SPA).

2 Non-Sprouted potato slices were taken one with soil at periphery of potato slice and milk at the centre (NSPB) while on other slice just a drop of milk has been added at the centre (NSPA).

:sparkles: Observation after 24 hours:- Growth of microbes has been observed on potato slices named as SPB and NSPB (both with soil) while no growth on SPA and NSPB (both without soil).

:sparkles: Observation after 32 hours:- Growth of microbes was seen on same slices as 24 hours. However, the microbes growth has become dense as compared to 24 hours potato slice.

:sparkles: Interpretation:- We could interpret that the bacterial growth on potato slice with soil was because of soil’s bacteria as too much inoculum of bacteria is there in the form of soil. Although *we can expect some nematodes in this as food for nematodes (that is bacteria) is there and source of nematodes (that is soil is there).

Now, we have new design of an experiment.

Aim:- To verify and falsify whether sprouted potato inhibits microbial growth.

Design:- We will take two raw potato, one with sprouts (Tests) and another without sprouts (Control). Cut the potato into half and add a drop of milk at the centre in each case.

In parallel, we can also take boiled potato slice to see whether boiling has some effect on the chemical (glycoalkaloids) that are inhibiting the growth of microbes.

Expectations:- Sprouted potato slice will inhibit or won’t allow microbial growth while on non-sprouted potato we can observe microbial growth.
-SUMMARY OF CUBE CHATSHAALA DISCUSSION(16/11/23) BY @shalinisharma98