Projects with Fruit fly

The Best Introduction, according to me: D. melanogaster is a common pest in homes, restaurants, and other places where food is served.[6]

2 Likes

Foraging is searching for wild food resources. It affects an animal’s fitness because it plays an important role in an animal’s ability to survive and reproduce.
Foraging theory is a branch of behavioral ecology that studies the foraging behavior of animals in response to the environment where the animal lives.

For many animals, hunger promotes changes in the olfactory system in a manner that facilitates the search for appropriate food sources.
In a light-tight box illuminated by red light that is invisible to fruit flies, a camera linked to custom data acquisition software monitors the position of six flies simultaneously. Each fly is confined to walk in individual arenas containing a food odor at the center. The testing arenas rest on a porous floor that functions to prevent odor accumulation. Latency to locate the odor source, a metric that reflects olfactory sensitivity under different physiological states, is determined by software analysis. Here, we discuss the critical mechanics of running this behavioral paradigm and cover specific issues regarding fly loading, odor contamination, assay temperature, data quality, and statistical analysis.

1 Like

According to my experience in schools and colleges,
protocols are given in a way that cannot be followed completely
The reason is that it would be
:point_right: too complicated to follow
:point_right: the amount of each components mentioned would be sometimes too much or may be some other reason…that its not followed.
:point_right: protocol would not be that easy to be followed.

So what I would like to add in helping out in this ebook is that
As mentioned by @GN sir
Drosophila or fruit flies are easy to culture!!!

Because of all these reasons, it cannot be difficult to have or culture these fruit flies.
Carrying out lab experiments using these flies is not difficult, as it is easy to handle or as it is said in general, we can play around with the drosophila.

Being a student what I look for is
:point_right:The experiments that we do should be carried out easily without any complications
:point_right: Protocol should be in such a way which can be followed by anyone and anywhere

Most important of all
Why are we doing this?
What is the reason behind performing these experiments?
The theory behind all these experiments

1 Like

Good! Can you give an example from your experience of a research question that you pursued using simple materials and methods? @Lydia

1 Like

TODAY

Messages you send to this group are secured with end-to-end encryption. Click for more info.

You created this group

Drosophila Community Research in India is developing an e- Book on Fruitfly Drosophila… Cubists are invited to be an active part of that. A great opportunity for all to develop a model e-Book with less instructions and more application of common sense and collaboration … Looking forward to sharing your experience below.

09:36

Sophia cubist arranging Drosophila melanogaster CsBz flies for the rest of the country! March 2016 Photo: mcarunan

09:38

You added Ganesh Baskey Ranchi

You added Sushant Bliss Assam

Mayurgaikward added +91 99306 91950, +91 95520 98827, Harshita Elphinstone, and Ruchi Elphinstone

Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika

Drosophila melanogaster.Gravid females in Drosophila Culture medium - Date:24/04/2020.Time:8:45AM. Location:Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by:Aswathy Suresh,CUBE SN College,Nattika.

09:48

Drosophila melanogaster.Gravid females in Drosophila Culture medium - Date:24/04/2020.Time:8:45AM. Location:Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by:Aswathy Suresh,CUBE SN College,Nattika.

Great! @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika Please give the full story from the day you started the Fruitfly study till this great photo. UTGENT!

10:01

URGENT*

10:09

Mayurgaikward

What is the latest take on home Drosophila culturing in the Times of Corona @yash @~Isha…

10:16

Mayurgaikward changed this group’s icon

You added Jaives

Added Jai

10:18

You added Saida cUBE Elphinstone

Added Saida CUBE Elphinstone

10:23

At the Lock Down Time Started to Drosophila Culture Medium in my Home Lab.Location - Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Date: 17/04/2020. Time: 11:44 AM.Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College, Nattika.

10:24

Drosophila Culture Medium. Date :18/04/2020.Time:11:27AM. 3 fruit fly in the culture medium. Aswathy suresh, SN College Nattika.

10:25

At the Lock Down Time Started to Drosophila Culture Medium in my Home Lab.Location - Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Date: 17/04/2020. Time: 11:44 AM.Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College, Nattika.

How can we improve on this medium making for good cultures of fruitflies to make Single Line Culture stocks?

10:25

One Fruit fly is dead in the culture medium.Date :18/04/2020. Time : 11:27AM. Aswathy suresh SN College Nattika.

10:26

Drosophila Culture Medium. Date :18/04/2020.Time:11:27AM. 3 fruit fly in the culture medium. Aswathy suresh, SN College Nattika.

Please give a detail description on your - Objectives ( Immediate, Short term and Long term Objectives) - Expectations - Limitations - Ideas for further improvement?

10:27

One Fruit fly is dead in the culture medium.Date :18/04/2020. Time : 11:27AM. Aswathy suresh SN College Nattika.

Let’s learn to take good photos with good focus and good lighting!

10:28

What is the state of this culture bottle today? What was your expectation? What is your observation? How can we improve our set up to get maximum results!

10:29

You

How can we improve on this medium making for good cultures of fruitflies to make Single Line Culture stocks?

Sir, I prepared this culture medium with Rava and Banana . Iam not cooked this culture medium properly. I think that’s why the fruit flies are not entered in to the culture medium.So we can improve on the medium making for good culture to cook ingredients properly.

10:36

SomDatta Govandi School Teacher

I thought this WhatsApp group is for discussing the ebook :slight_smile:

10:39

Sir, I prepared this culture medium with Rava and Banana . Iam not cooked this culture medium properly. I think that’s why the fruit flies are not entered in to the culture medium.So we can improve on the medium making for good culture to cook ingredients properly.

So, why wait? Why not cook sufficiently so that it will be easy to transfer flies from one to the other? Why not look for methods of making Fruitfly medium by doing a search ? You started this based on common sense and let’s try improve to reach the objective. What is your clear objective while making the medium? URGENT!

10:45

You

Please give a detail description on your - Objectives ( Immediate, Short term and Long term Objectives) - Expectations - Limitations - Ideas for further improvement?

Sir,That to address my research question I need to first trap fruit flies and culture single line by catching gravid females and identify Native Drosophila melanogaster amongst the native fruit flies from the environment. My research objectives 1.Immediate objective To make Home made media for culturing Native Fruit flies. To create multiple Single Line culture of Native fruit flies by keeping a bait near kitchen garbage using tomato slice/banana peel and catching gravid females and creating Native Single lines. 2.Short term Objective To identify native single culture of fruit flies as Native Drosophila Melanogaster by looking at morphological characteristics relevant to Family Drosophilidae, Genus Drosophila and Species melanogaster 3.Long term object… Read more

10:46

You

10:47

Sree left

SomDatta Govandi School Teacher

I thought this WhatsApp group is for discussing the ebook :slight_smile:

Suppose, the e- Book has to serve people like @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika what should it contain and in which format? I would prefer a less instructional and more logical way of presentation in the e-Book @SomDatta Govandi School Teacher This Whatsaap group is to know whom such an e Book for and how can it cater to all!

10:49

You

Sorry sir, I can’t get clear picture of dead fruit fly.

10:50

Try again when you get a Fruitfly. You send some good photos earlier. How did you do then?

10:52

This is a better focussed photo. This too can be improved with more clear focussing and more light, perhaps! YES, YOU CAN!

10:53

You

This is a better focussed photo. This too can be improved with more clear focussing and more light, perhaps! YES, YOU CAN!

It is a question of how to use the camera with better lighting…! Don’t you think so?

10:54

Man Ranchi

If you cannot magnify good enough with your phone camera, try using some glasswares to magnify. Glasswares always help.

10:55

You

What is the state of this culture bottle today? What was your expectation? What is your observation? How can we improve our set up to get maximum results!

Now, This culture bottle is empty.There is no fruit flies in the medium. My expectation was getting more fruit flies and study it well.How is their life cycle, catching gravid females and identify native drosophila melanogaster to create native single lines.

11:01

Man Ranchi

If you cannot magnify good enough with your phone camera, try using some glasswares to magnify. Glasswares always help.

Yes sir…Thank you.

11:02

Man Ranchi

@Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika got good photos earlier. So no question of magnification issue of her camera. That’s why I sent her earlier picture of two Fruitflies inside the bottle. Yes, let’s work on all possibilities.

11:04

You

Try again when you get a Fruitfly. You send some good photos earlier. How did you do then?

Yes sir. I will try to get a good photos of drosophila melanogaster.

3 Likes

11:05

Drosophila culture medium. Date :20/04/2020.Time:11:10AM. Location Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Make a new medium. Tomato and Rava is Used in this culture medium. Medium prepared yesterday (19/04/2020, 11:39AM).I have get more than 20 to 25 fruit fly in my culture medium. Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

11:15

This message was deleted

11:17

Circadin rhythm in Drosophila. Date:20/04/2020.Time:11:22AM.Location :Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Drosophila Culture Medium.

11:18

Drosophila culture medium. Closed with Newspaper. Date:21/04/2020. Time:1:49PM. Location:Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photos by: Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

Drosophila culture medium - circadian rhythm. Belly fat gravid females seen in the culture medium .Date:22/04/2020.Time:9:59AM.Location:Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by:Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

Circadian rhythm in Drosophila.2 Gravid females are in the cultural medium. Drosophila culture medium - Date :23/04/2020.Time :9:35AM.Location :Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by:Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

1st instar larva Seen in the culture medium. Drosophila culture medium. Time:2:15PM. Date:23/04/2020.Photo by: Aswathy suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

2nd instar larvae in the Cultural medium- Drosophila culture medium.Time:2:24PM. Date:23/04/2020.Location:Thriprayar. Photo by:Aswathy Suresh. CUBE SN College Nattika.

11:20

Circadian rhythm - Drosophila culture medium.Date:24/04/2020.Time:8:45AM. Location :Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by :Aswathy Suresh,CUBE SN College Nattika.

11:21

2nd instar larva in the culture medium.Drosophila Culture medium-Date:24/04/2020.Time:8:52AM. Location :Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by:Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

Second instar larva of Drosophila melanogaster.Date:24/04/2020.Time:8:44AM. Location :Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

Shalu CUBE Patna

Oohhhh Great So, tomato rava medium is working well? All above pictures are of same set up??

11:23

Shalu CUBE Patna

Drosophila culture medium. Date :20/04/2020.Time:11:10AM. Location Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Make a new medium. Tomato and Rava is Used in this culture medium. Medium prepared yesterday (19/04/2020, 11:39AM).I have get more than 20 to 25 fruit fly in my culture medium. Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

Is it the same medium, u have not cooked? Please can you share, how exactly you made this medium?

11:24

Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

Yeah…we are finally reaching our goal of achieving a homemade fruit fly medium!!! Great job!! @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @yash @Shalu CUBE Patna

11:25

Shalu CUBE Patna

Oohhhh Great So, tomato rava medium is working well? All above pictures are of same set up??

Yes. Tomato and Rava Culture medium is more working than Rava and Banana culture medium.

This message was deleted

Yes. Tomato and Rava Culture medium is more working than Rava and Banana culture medium.

@Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika Can you please share your experience with both the media that you used!? Banana Rava media And Tomato Rava media

11:27

Shalu CUBE Patna

Is it the same medium, u have not cooked? Please can you share, how exactly you made this medium?

Tomato Rava medium is well cooked culture medium. So I think that’s why I getting more fruit fly in the Culture medium,

11:27

Tomato Rava medium is well cooked culture medium. So I think that’s why I getting more fruit fly in the Culture medium,

Can you please once again send us the protocol of the tomato Rava media. Exactly how did you do?

11:28

Shalu CUBE Patna

Can you please once again send us the protocol of the tomato Rava media. Exactly how did you do?

Yess please !

11:32

Imtiyaz left

@Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika Can you please share your experience with both the media that you used!? Banana Rava media And Tomato Rava media

Yes. First I made Rava and Banana cultural medium. That medium Iam not cooked. Just add 1 Spoon Rava and 2 spoon Hot water. Mixed it well. Took a glass bottle and add rava water mixture in to the bottle bottom. And pressed it finally add some banana pieces in to the top of rava.Prepared this medium 15 th April 2020. Next day 16th April 2020 I have get 5fruit flies in the bottle 11:44AM.I have get only one fruit flie in that culture medium other fruit flies in the culture medium are dead.

11:39

Tomato Rava Sugar. Took a frypan Add 1 spoon Rava Add 2 spoon water Cooked in Low flame Add 1 chopped Tomato pieces And mixed it well. Took a glass bottle Added this mixture in to the glass bottle. And pressed it a spoon. Finally I add one Tomato pieces on the top of mixture. Put on the kitchen window side.

11:46

Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri

Tomato Rava Sugar. Took a frypan Add 1 spoon Rava Add 2 spoon water Cooked in Low flame Add 1 chopped Tomato pieces And mixed it well. Took a glass bottle Added this mixture in to the glass bottle. And pressed it a spoon. Finally I add one Tomato pieces on the top of mixture. Put on the kitchen window side.

How many days will this medium can be kept as a solid medium?

11:58

Why do you call it as Culture Medium @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika ? In case you kept some tomato pieces in the bottle, fruitflies may get attracted and enter into the same jar! Don’t you think so? If so, how is this set up different from just a bait ? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika What is the special attributes of a culture medium for Fruitflies which you can handle with ease for transfer from one bottle to the other etc ? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna @yash

12:04

You added Yash Institute of Science

Added Yash CUBE Institute of Science, Mumbai

12:05

Manohara Banglore

An important question from my side is " Is fruit fly a good model to study the changes in allele frequencies in a given population"?

12:09

Jaives

Which spoon? Tea spoon? Table spoon? Approx how much grams?

12:09

“pressed by a spoon”…“add some banana pieces to the top of rava…” Why you did not cook to solidify the medium so that you can safely transfer flies by turning the bottle over another bottle upside down? And that the medium is cooked so that the growth of bacteria and fungus will be much less? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Kiran Yadav …

12:10

If @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika intended to make it as medium like Standard Corn Meal Medium in bottles for growth and transfer from one bottle to another, what care should we take? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @yash

12:13

Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri

Is it solid at all?..so that we can transfer flies from one bottle to the other by turning it upside down over another fresh medium bottle? @Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri How would you have made alterations in the preparation method @Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna

12:15

Drosophila culture medium - circadian rhythm. Belly fat gravid females seen in the culture medium .Date:22/04/2020.Time:9:59AM.Location:Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by:Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

What are planning to do with the ‘fat bellied’ flies that you trapped in this bottle?

12:17

1st instar larva Seen in the culture medium. Drosophila culture medium. Time:2:15PM. Date:23/04/2020.Photo by: Aswathy suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

Please always inform (a) when was the Medium kept open and (b) when was this photo taken i.e. in how many days after setting the trap, we are observing the larvae?

12:19

2nd instar larvae in the Cultural medium- Drosophila culture medium.Time:2:24PM. Date:23/04/2020.Location:Thriprayar. Photo by:Aswathy Suresh. CUBE SN College Nattika.

When was this bottle set up so that you can convince others this could be second instar larvae? Please give all essential information with each photos.

12:21

Circadian rhythm - Drosophila culture medium.Date:24/04/2020.Time:8:45AM. Location :Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by :Aswathy Suresh,CUBE SN College Nattika.

Why do you call this as Circadian Rhythm? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika

12:21

Shalu CUBE Patna

“pressed it a spoon” I dont get it ? And why adding tomato pieces on the top of mixture? who knows that fruitflies may, was coming attracting to that tomato u kept at last, and not the culture medium u prepared?

12:14

Manohara Banglore

An important question from my side is " Is fruit fly a good model to study the changes in allele frequencies in a given population"?

They are small and easily handled Flies have a short generation time (10-12 days) and do well at room temperature. The care and culture requires little equipment, is low in cost and uses little space even for large cultures. Short life cycle (within 10 days) At a time i.e. one life cycle you can get more than 40-50 flies For population studies…this is a good model system According to me these are some basic reasons why we can use fruit flies as a good model system

12:17

Manohara Banglore

They are small and easily handled Flies have a short generation time (10-12 days) and do well at room temperature. The care and culture requires little equipment, is low in cost and uses little space even for large cultures. Short life cycle (within 10 days) At a time i.e. one life cycle you can get more than 40-50 flies For population studies…this is a good model system According to me these are some basic reasons why we can use fruit flies as a good model system

What is the expected ratio of males and females in a freely reproducing population?

1 Like

12:22

2nd instar larva in the culture medium.Drosophila Culture medium-Date:24/04/2020.Time:8:52AM. Location :Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by:Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

Was this bottle set up on 20 April and observed the larvae on 24the April I.e. on the 4th day? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika Please write all such essential details.

12:23

Second instar larva of Drosophila melanogaster.Date:24/04/2020.Time:8:44AM. Location :Bottukadavu Road, Thriprayar. Photo by Aswathy Suresh, CUBE SN College Nattika.

How are we sure this is 2nd instar larva? Please give the diagnostic features of 2nd instar larvae of Drosophila @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika Can @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Priti Ruia and others help us by finding references?

12:26

Shalu CUBE Patna

Why do you call it as Tomato Rava Medium? @Shalu CUBE Patna And how can you compare it to the commonly used medium called Standard Corn Meal Medium for Drosophila? @Shalu CUBE Patna @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

12:27

Yeah…we are finally reaching our goal of achieving a homemade fruit fly medium!!! Great job!! @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @yash @Shalu CUBE Patna

…without cooking and without solidifying to (1)make it less vulnerable to bacterial and fungal growth and (2) more easy to transfer flies from one bottle to the other, by turning the bottle upside down…? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

12:30

How are we sure about that? What do we mean by " more working" or better working? On what basis we can say one is better than the other? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna @yash

12:32

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

Wow.

12:31

But isn’t it going to be costly. Tomatoes

12:32

Don’t you think it is good that a medium is cooked to homogeneity, instead of each component remail separate…for all practical purpose??? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

12:34

On what basis do you say tomato- rava medium is well cooked? What is your duration and amount of heat for cooking?

12:35

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

You

On what basis do you say tomato- rava medium is well cooked? What is your duration and amount of heat for cooking?

Pressure cooker cooking could be a good option. As one can standardise amount of water and whistles

12:38

Are you happy about the look and consistency of the content of the jar? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala You may have prepared and cultured flies in solid medium for months!!! @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala Do you approve of such a ‘pudding’ for your Drosophila melanogaster CsBz or for Single Line Native flies? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

12:38

Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri

Is this solid enough a medium for you? @Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri @Abhishek Ashoka Univ

12:39

Shalu CUBE Patna

“pressed it a spoon” I dont get it ? And why adding tomato pieces on the top of mixture? who knows that fruitflies may, was coming attracting to that tomato u kept at last, and not the culture medium u prepared?

How would you have prepared a Tomato - rava medium? @Shalu CUBE Patna URGENT What more precautions you would have taken so that this medium.can be used for culturing flies to next generation and transfer then to fresh media bottles ? @Shalu CUBE Patna @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Abhishek Ashoka Univ

12:43

What do we mean by a * population*? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

12:43

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

You

How would you have prepared a Tomato - rava medium? @Shalu CUBE Patna URGENT What more precautions you would have taken so that this medium.can be used for culturing flies to next generation and transfer then to fresh media bottles ? @Shalu CUBE Patna @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Abhishek Ashoka Univ

One major worry is how long will the tomato medium stay. What we know from home is food with tomatoes spoil faster.

12:49

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

One major worry is how long will the tomato medium stay. What we know from home is food with tomatoes spoil faster.

What do we mean by “spoil” in biological terms? @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri @Rafikh @Aashutosh @Mayurgaikward

13:23

Sushant Bliss Assam

You

What do we mean by “spoil” in biological terms? @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri @Rafikh @Aashutosh @Mayurgaikward

Is spoil is degradation or decomposition ?

13:25

*Whether

13:25

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

Pressure cooker cooking could be a good option. As one can standardise amount of water and whistles

Any suggestions? @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna @Yash Institute of Science

13:26

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

one has to check the medium PH . how it changes over time. compard with standard media

13:26

Sushant Bliss Assam

How does degradation or decomposition take place? @Sushant Bliss Assam @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri …

13:27

You

Any suggestions? @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna @Yash Institute of Science

This is what we do in our CUBE lab. For cooking our media and for autoclaving the media…we use pressure cooker. And pressure cooker is something which we all have at our homes

13:27

Sushant Bliss Assam

How about biological degradation? And how that can be controlled? @Sushant Bliss Assam @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Yash Institute of Science @Kiran Yadav

13:29

This is what we do in our CUBE lab. For cooking our media and for autoclaving the media…we use pressure cooker. And pressure cooker is something which we all have at our homes

@Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala Please modify the protocol of @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika so that you will a have a medium similar to the 'standard ’ medium but with non-standard materials available at home, whether a fruit like banana or tomato and startch containing materials etc… URGENT @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala …

13:33

You

@Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala Please modify the protocol of @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika so that you will a have a medium similar to the 'standard ’ medium but with non-standard materials available at home, whether a fruit like banana or tomato and startch containing materials etc… URGENT @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala …

Sure sir

13:35

If thats the case what type of research questions can be addressed in the area of populatopn Genetics?

13:35

You

If thats the case what type of research questions can be addressed in the area of populatopn Genetics?

What questions in

13:36

Sushant Bliss Assam

You

How about biological degradation? And how that can be controlled? @Sushant Bliss Assam @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Yash Institute of Science @Kiran Yadav

Biodegradation is the breakdown of organic matter by microorganisms.

13:37

A. Population Genetics and B. in IMMUNOLOGY? @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s …

13:37

Sushant Bliss Assam

Can we be a bit more specific in the present context of Fruitfly medium? Which microorganisms? And would they be a nuisance for fruitflies? And how thsat is taken care of in Standard Corn Meal Medium? @Sushant Bliss Assam @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna @Yash Institute of Science …

13:40

The Best Introduction to fruitfly , according to me: D. melanogaster is a common pest in homes, restaurants, and other places where food is served.[6] en.wikipedia.org

13:43

The Best introduction for e-Book!

13:44

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

You

A. Population Genetics and B. in IMMUNOLOGY? @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s …

evolution and ecology.

13:45

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

You

Suppose, the e- Book has to serve people like @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika what should it contain and in which format? I would prefer a less instructional and more logical way of presentation in the e-Book @SomDatta Govandi School Teacher This Whatsaap group is to know whom such an e Book for and how can it cater to all!

I think the e-book should begin with identification of drosophila, it’s morphological features and reasons to why it is a good model system

13:45

Sushant Bliss Assam

Bacteria, Fungi…!!! If so how do we control excessive growth of (1) bacteria (2) fungi ? How is it taken care of in Drosophila labs?

13:46

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

I think the e-book should begin with identification of drosophila, it’s morphological features and reasons to why it is a good model system

rather should start with where they are found habitat , behaviour etc, classification and then brief about their importance in biology with history right away from TH morgan. and then how we can trap them and following content.

13:47

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

Sorry, @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s , if I were a beginner, I would never be in Biology again…at least the way “identification/taxonomy” is introduced in school and colleges!

13:49

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

rather should start with where they are found habitat , behaviour etc, classification and then brief about their importance in biology with history right away from TH morgan. and then how we can trap them and following content.

Can we start with something simple, easy to do, easy to solve, maintain curiosity: which no one else thought is that EASILY ACCESSIBLE AND AT THE SAME TIME SEVERAL nOBEL pRIZES WERE WON USING THESE SMALL FLIES IN THE KITCHEN AND IN THE WAsTE BINS!!!

13:52

Shivam

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

Introduction should be very general focusing fruitfly. Then talking about Drosophila specifically

13:52

You

Can we start with something simple, easy to do, easy to solve, maintain curiosity: which no one else thought is that EASILY ACCESSIBLE AND AT THE SAME TIME SEVERAL nOBEL pRIZES WERE WON USING THESE SMALL FLIES IN THE KITCHEN AND IN THE WAsTE BINS!!!

The Best Introduction to fruitfly , according to me: D. melanogaster is a common pest in homes, restaurants, and other places where food is served.[6] en.wikipedia.org

13:53

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

You

Sorry, @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s , if I were a beginner, I would never be in Biology again…at least the way “identification/taxonomy” is introduced in school and colleges!

Yes sir. But rather than a long introduction on identification and taxonomy, I was hoping to do it in a chart form and not in a descriptive form

Shivam

You

Agreed! Introduction should promote the the reader to read further.

1 Like

Sushant Bliss Assam

Please give a simple description of fruitfly to address school kids

Shivam

Introduction should be very general focusing fruitfly. Then talking about Drosophila specifically

Great ! How do we start with an ACTIVITY? @Shivam

13:54

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

You

Yes!!! Then the readers will be more curious

13:54

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

And as for morphology, rather than long descriptions, I thought images of the fly with its parts marked should be enough. So it wouldn’t be long and boring, but will easily catch the eye of the reader

13:56

NOBEL PRIZES for these silly looking flies! All at home should be looking puzzled! @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s @Shivam @Shiwani Cube @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna

13:56

…AND HOW MANY NOBEL PRIZES? @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

13:58

You

NOBEL PRIZES for these silly looking flies! All at home should be looking puzzled! @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s @Shivam @Shiwani Cube @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna

Why fly?

Drosophila melanogasterter, more commonly known as the fruit fly or vinegar fly, has been used as a model for biological research for over 100 years (explained in our first movie below). To date, D…

Six Nobel prizes in physiology or medicine have been awarded to a total of 10 scientists for their groundbreaking biological work based on fruit fly research: 1. 1933 - Thomas Hunt Morgan used drosophila to uncover the role played by chromosomes in heredity 2. 1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller used X-ray irradiation to increase mutation rates in fruit flies 3. 1995 - Edward B Lewis, Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard, and Eric F Wieschaus used drosophila to understand genetic control of embryonic development 4. 2004 - Richard Axel concentrated on odour receptors and the organisation of the olfactory system 5. 2011 - Jules A Hoffmann was given the award for his research on the activation of innate immunity 6. 2017 - Jeffrey C Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael W Young won… Read more

13:58

Six Nobel prizes in physiology or medicine have been awarded to a total of 10 scientists for their groundbreaking biological work based on fruit fly research: 1. 1933 - Thomas Hunt Morgan used drosophila to uncover the role played by chromosomes in heredity 2. 1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller used X-ray irradiation to increase mutation rates in fruit flies 3. 1995 - Edward B Lewis, Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard, and Eric F Wieschaus used drosophila to understand genetic control of embryonic development 4. 2004 - Richard Axel concentrated on odour receptors and the organisation of the olfactory system 5. 2011 - Jules A Hoffmann was given the award for his research on the activation of innate immunity 6. 2017 - Jeffrey C Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael W Young won…

@Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s @Arunan @Yash Institute of Science @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Shalu CUBE Patna

13:59

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

Is this a book meant for people working on drosophila as a model organism or is it supposed to be more general, and for all age groups?

14:00

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

And as for morphology, rather than long descriptions, I thought images of the fly with its parts marked should be enough. So it wouldn’t be long and boring, but will easily catch the eye of the reader

Do you see these flies in our home?!! @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s If so, how do we go closer to see them…and make all relatives at home almost started calling us maad…!

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

Who do we expect to be the readers of such a book?

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

Is this a book meant for people working on drosophila as a model organism or is it supposed to be more general, and for all age groups?

In general, Open to all

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

You

Do you see these flies in our home?!! @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s If so, how do we go closer to see them…and make all relatives at home almost started calling us maad…!

Yes! I often find them on jackfruit

14:01

@Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s @Arunan @Yash Institute of Science @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Shalu CUBE Patna

Wikipedia states 8 Nobel Prizes, I guess!

14:01

Six Nobel prizes in physiology or medicine have been awarded to a total of 10 scientists for their groundbreaking biological work based on fruit fly research: 1. 1933 - Thomas Hunt Morgan used drosophila to uncover the role played by chromosomes in heredity 2. 1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller used X-ray irradiation to increase mutation rates in fruit flies 3. 1995 - Edward B Lewis, Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard, and Eric F Wieschaus used drosophila to understand genetic control of embryonic development 4. 2004 - Richard Axel concentrated on odour receptors and the organisation of the olfactory system 5. 2011 - Jules A Hoffmann was given the award for his research on the activation of innate immunity 6. 2017 - Jeffrey C Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael W Young won…

Which areas of Nobel winning work stand out these days? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala among these? And will make an impression in the current scenario too!

14:03

This message was deleted

14:05

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

Who do we expect to be the readers of such a book?

All who are concerned about COVID 19 too! Why not? If a Nobel went to the study of Immune function…?!!

14:05

You

Which areas of Nobel winning work stand out these days? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala among these? And will make an impression in the current scenario too!

2004 - Richard Axel concentrated on odour receptors and the organisation of the olfactory system 2017 - Jeffrey C Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael W Young won the prize for uncovering the molecular mechanisms that control circadian rhythms These are the two areas that we are working on mainly presently

14:07

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

How about to introduce every one (from KG to PG) to Science through the simple systems in our immediate environment! Science/ Biology NOT as an IMPORTED SUBJECT! …about our own immediate environs…8which all of us ignore, but others in foreign countries use that to get NOBEL PRIZES…8​@Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

14:10

2004 - Richard Axel concentrated on odour receptors and the organisation of the olfactory system 2017 - Jeffrey C Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael W Young won the prize for uncovering the molecular mechanisms that control circadian rhythms These are the two areas that we are working on mainly presently

Please describe a bit more @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s @Shivam @Yash Institute of Science @Saida cUBE Elphinstone @Shalu CUBE Patna …

14:12

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

What all one Pressure cooker can do to medium making? @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s

14:14

How many people know , How many Biology students/teachers know that this humble flies tell us such a lot! @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

14:17

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

Is this a book meant for people working on drosophila as a model organism or is it supposed to be more general, and for all age groups? Thanks @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s SO FOR WHOM WE ARE PREPARING THIS E-BOOK ON THIS HUMBLE FLY THAT EVERY ONE SEES< BUT NO ONE NOTICES! @Shivam

14:20

How about studying Immune System?!! @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Saida cUBE Elphinstone @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s

14:22

Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri

Prepared first 2 or 3 days kept this medium semi solid condition.after they became liquid form condition.

14:22

Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

Yes sir. But rather than a long introduction on identification and taxonomy, I was hoping to do it in a chart form and not in a descriptive form

Please tell us how! Lets see. …and what is the purpose? Just to mug up… Or is there a research question waiting…? @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s @Abhishek CUBE Kolancheri

14:29

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

You

How about studying Immune System?!! @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Saida cUBE Elphinstone @Abhishek Ashoka Univ @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s

Imroze khan lab at Ashoka University studies evolutionary immunology in drosophila using very simple methods. Just dipping needle in bacteria culture and poking on the drosophila abdomen.

14:30

Prepared first 2 or 3 days kept this medium semi solid condition.after they became liquid form condition.

Do you want the medium in the bottle to be semisolid, liquid or solid? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shivam @Shalu CUBE Patna …

14:31

Koushik Kolkata left

Abhishek Ashoka Univ

Imroze khan lab at Ashoka University studies evolutionary immunology in drosophila using very simple methods. Just dipping needle in bacteria culture and poking on the drosophila abdomen.

Aha! And looking for the profile of Hemocytes…? @Abhishek Ashoka Univ

14:33

Karenhaydock left

You

Why do you call it as Culture Medium @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika ? In case you kept some tomato pieces in the bottle, fruitflies may get attracted and enter into the same jar! Don’t you think so? If so, how is this set up different from just a bait ? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika What is the special attributes of a culture medium for Fruitflies which you can handle with ease for transfer from one bottle to the other etc ? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna @yash

Because we prepared some special for attracting fruit flies to entered that bottle. Food, shelter… all are we prepared in the bottle. So this can we called culture medium.Culture medium is different to bait. Bait is a trapping.

14:35

Jaives

Which spoon? Tea spoon? Table spoon? Approx how much grams?

1 Table spoon Rava.

14:36

You

“pressed by a spoon”…“add some banana pieces to the top of rava…” Why you did not cook to solidify the medium so that you can safely transfer flies by turning the bottle over another bottle upside down? And that the medium is cooked so that the growth of bacteria and fungus will be much less? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Kiran Yadav …

Yes sir, in the cause of Banana, after 2 days later seen Contaminated condition. Bacteria and Fungus seen in the above of the culture medium. The culture medium became destroyed with bacteria and fungus. Medium became transfered to solid condition. Did not cook medium get polluted with fungus and bacteria.

14:44

You

Aha! And looking for the profile of Hemocytes…? @Abhishek Ashoka Univ

. …All organisms have an innate immune response, but only vertebrates possess T cells and the ability to produce antibodies. It has been a long-standing assumption that invertebrate immune systems are not adaptive and respond identically to multiple challenges. In this study, we demonstrate that the fly innate immune response adapts to repeated challenges; flies preinoculated with dead Streptococcus pneumoniae are protected against a second, otherwise-lethal dose. Although the underlying mechanisms are likely to be very different, this primed response is reminiscent to vaccine-induced protection in that it exhibits coarse specificity (dead S. pneumoniae only protects against itself), persists for the life of the fly and is dependent on phagocytic cells. Thi… Read more

14:50

Shalu CUBE Patna

Tomato and Rava mixture after prepared entered in to the bottle.Just pressed a spoon this mixture tightly. Because we have not get water in prepared culture medium. So that’s why pressed mixture tightly.

14:51

Forwarded

14:52

You

What are planning to do with the ‘fat bellied’ flies that you trapped in this bottle?

Sir, To create multiple Single Line culture of Native fruit flies by keeping a culture medium near kitchen garbage using tomato slice and catching gravid females and creating Native Single lines. To identify native single culture of fruit flies as Native Drosophila Melanogaster by looking at morphological characteristics relevant to Family Drosophilidae, Genus Drosophila and Species melanogaster.

14:56

You

Photo

How is this CULTURE MEDIUM in the bottle looking like? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Shalu CUBE Patna @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala Can we get our home made Fruitfly Medium cooked to homogeneity like this? Cooking using a pressure cooker can sterilize the medium from unwanted many microbes…

14:56

Yash Institute of Science

The standard corn meal agar medium could be kept as a standard and we can one by one replace the ingredients with our home available ingredients for making our standard Home made medium… The standard Corn meal agar 250ml contains 1) Dextrose - (glucose) (12.5g) 2) Sucrose - (sugar disaccharide) (6.25g) 3) Maze powder - (major source of starch) - 20.75g 4) Yeast extract - ( yeast cells are grinded, available as powder. so all the components like proteins, minerals, some sugars may be present) (3.75g) 5) Agar powder - (for solidification) (4g) 6) Propionic acid and orthophosphoric acid - it is added after pressure cooking the medium - to prevent bacterial growth due to lowering of ph) (1ml and 0.17ml respectively) 7) Yeast granules - after mediu… Read more

14:57

The standard corn meal agar medium could be kept as a standard and we can one by one replace the ingredients with our home available ingredients for making our standard Home made medium… The standard Corn meal agar 250ml contains 1) Dextrose - (glucose) (12.5g) 2) Sucrose - (sugar disaccharide) (6.25g) 3) Maze powder - (major source of starch) - 20.75g 4) Yeast extract - ( yeast cells are grinded, available as powder. so all the components like proteins, minerals, some sugars may be present) (3.75g) 5) Agar powder - (for solidification) (4g) 6) Propionic acid and orthophosphoric acid - it is added after pressure cooking the medium - to prevent bacterial growth due to lowering of ph) (1ml and 0.17ml respectively) 7) Yeast granules - after mediu…

Which components would tomato and rava replace in this composition?

14:59

@Yash Institute of Science @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Shalu CUBE Patna @Arunan

14:59

You

How is this CULTURE MEDIUM in the bottle looking like? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Shalu CUBE Patna @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala Can we get our home made Fruitfly Medium cooked to homogeneity like this? Cooking using a pressure cooker can sterilize the medium from unwanted many microbes…

This culture medium made in lab for easily transfer fruit flies in one bottle to another bottle.

15:00

Sir, To create multiple Single Line culture of Native fruit flies by keeping a culture medium near kitchen garbage using tomato slice and catching gravid females and creating Native Single lines. To identify native single culture of fruit flies as Native Drosophila Melanogaster by looking at morphological characteristics relevant to Family Drosophilidae, Genus Drosophila and Species melanogaster.

How do we ensure that our Medium did not have any eggs of any other flies than the one single gravid female fly we have introduced ? Is not cooking and especially pressure cooking can help a lot in this? If a pressure cooker is not handy we have to see the medium is really cooked well to homogeneity so that it will solidify with uniform surface… What do you say? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Shalu CUBE Patna

15:01

You

Photo

@Harshita Elphinstone Harshita CUBE Elphinstone wirh fruit fly medium looking pretty inside the bottle !

15:04

How exactly Single Line Cultures be made? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika

15:05

You

Please always inform (a) when was the Medium kept open and (b) when was this photo taken i.e. in how many days after setting the trap, we are observing the larvae?

Sir, a) Iam not open the bottle.This medium kept closed. b)23/04/2020 Thursday. We are observed the larvae after 4 days later Prepared the medium.

15:09

The standard corn meal agar medium could be kept as a standard and we can one by one replace the ingredients with our home available ingredients for making our standard Home made medium… The standard Corn meal agar 250ml contains 1) Dextrose - (glucose) (12.5g) 2) Sucrose - (sugar disaccharide) (6.25g) 3) Maze powder - (major source of starch) - 20.75g 4) Yeast extract - ( yeast cells are grinded, available as powder. so all the components like proteins, minerals, some sugars may be present) (3.75g) 5) Agar powder - (for solidification) (4g) 6) Propionic acid and orthophosphoric acid - it is added after pressure cooking the medium - to prevent bacterial growth due to lowering of ph) (1ml and 0.17ml respectively) 7) Yeast granules - after mediu…

1 to 4 from your list, perhaps, can be replaced by 8the fruit which the fruitfly prefers8 and by rava! How is agar replaced in Home lab?@Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

1 Like

15:10

You

When was this bottle set up so that you can convince others this could be second instar larvae? Please give all essential information with each photos.

15:12

This culture medium made in lab for easily transfer fruit flies in one bottle to another bottle.

So, what do you think is the trick in this preparation? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

15:12

Sir, a) Iam not open the bottle.This medium kept closed. b)23/04/2020 Thursday. We are observed the larvae after 4 days later Prepared the medium.

What is the source of the larvae, then? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika

15:13

You

Why do you call this as Circadian Rhythm? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika

Daily observation in any species means called circadian rhythm.This is circadian rhythm in Drosophila. So that’s why called circadian rhythm in Drosophila melanogaster.

15:15

Photo

What does this tell us? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika Please describe. What is the context?

15:15

Daily observation in any species means called circadian rhythm.This is circadian rhythm in Drosophila. So that’s why called circadian rhythm in Drosophila melanogaster.

Daily, means once each Day?!!! How can that be Circadian Activity Pattern?

15:16

You

1 to 4 from your list, perhaps, can be replaced by 8the fruit which the fruitfly prefers8 and by rava! How is agar replaced in Home lab?@Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

@Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

15:18

You

What does this tell us? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika Please describe. What is the context?

15:19

You

According to @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika media i.e. the tomato rava media, rava is replacing the agar

15:19

Tomato or any fruit like banana would provide with carbohydrates like glucose, sucrose, minerals etc. Cooked Rava helps us in solidification of media? (Hence replaying agar) @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Arunan sir @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika

15:21

Tomato or any fruit like banana would provide with carbohydrates like glucose, sucrose, minerals etc. Cooked Rava helps us in solidification of media? (Hence replaying agar) @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Arunan sir @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika

Yes…this is what even I think

15:22

You

Was this bottle set up on 20 April and observed the larvae on 24the April I.e. on the 4th day? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika Please write all such essential details.

19th April - prepared Tomato Rava cultural medium. 20th April - I have get more than 20 fruit flies in that cultural medium. 21th April - Closed the trap using a news paper. Using a safety pin make some holes on newspaper. Than cover this bottle with using that newspaper with rubber band.

15:24

According to @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika media i.e. the tomato rava media, rava is replacing the agar

If so one should cook well, if nor pressure cook, that to homogeneity! How can we press tomato or banana too with spoon? We should perhaps mix all very well to make like a bit of a halwa! What do you say? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

15:25

You

22th April - Belly fat Gravid females seen in the culture medium. 23th April - I have seen 2or 3 larval worms in that cultural medium. Yellowish white coloured larval worms.

15:27

Then, why shy away from cooking or even pressure cooking! @Yash Institute of Science @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

15:27

Yes sir, Rava making that medium more solid condition.

15:28

Yes…this is what even I think

Please give your modification from what @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Shalu CUBE Patna etc have been doing for so many days… @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

15:29

19th April - prepared Tomato Rava cultural medium. 20th April - I have get more than 20 fruit flies in that cultural medium. 21th April - Closed the trap using a news paper. Using a safety pin make some holes on newspaper. Than cover this bottle with using that newspaper with rubber band.

What is your objective? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika What is your expectation today? What is the question are you answering by doing this? @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika

15:31

What is your response to this @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala And How this help us in developing the e- Book on Fruitfly Model System?

15:33

Do we get an idea where do we all stand in this area which is harvesting Nobel Prizes…? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala So, how do we proceed to develop an eBook ?

15:34

Yes sir, Rava making that medium more solid condition.

With cooking or without cooking with just sufficient water!!!@Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika What is your take @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Yash Institute of Science … @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Shalu CUBE Patna @Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s

15:36

You

Please give your modification from what @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Shalu CUBE Patna etc have been doing for so many days… @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

So, What if we Add 1 spoon Rava & 2 spoon water in a pan and mix them on a low flame Add 1 tomato which is cut into pieces in a mortar Using a pestle make a fine paste Add this paste in the pan along with the rava water mixture. Cook it really well till we see that all the components are homogenised completely What say @Arunan sir @Yash Institute of Science @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika ? This can be done in a cooker too. Either directly inside the cooker or in a vessel which can be heat resistant and can be kept inside the cooker. This is how we do with standard corn meal media preparation. All the components of the standard media are added in a conical flask which is then kept inside the cooker so that the media is homogenised completely as well as autoclaved both at the same time

15:36

So, What if we Add 1 spoon Rava & 2 spoon water in a pan and mix them on a low flame Add 1 tomato which is cut into pieces in a mortar Using a pestle make a fine paste Add this paste in the pan along with the rava water mixture. Cook it really well till we see that all the components are homogenised completely What say @Arunan sir @Yash Institute of Science @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika ? This can be done in a cooker too. Either directly inside the cooker or in a vessel which can be heat resistant and can be kept inside the cooker. This is how we do with standard corn meal media preparation. All the components of the standard media are added in a conical flask which is then kept inside the cooker so that the media is homogenised completely as well as autoclave…

Looks as if, you are culturing flies in Conical flask, in the Lab! @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala[15:47, 4/24/2020] Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala: No Sir :joy:… after this cooking procedure…
This mixtue should be poured into the bottles in which we are culturing before it solidifies
[15:50, 4/24/2020] Yash Institute of Science: Protocol and method sounds good

I was concerned about rava
We should be adding 2 table spoons of rava instead of 1.

As tomato may also have it’s own water content and we adding 2 table spoon of water. So that needs to be considered too.

Whatsay? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna @Abhijit CUBE St Peter’s @Arunan sir
[15:51, 4/24/2020] Arunan: Don’t you require any preparation for the bottle?@Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Yash Institute of Science @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Abhishek Ashoka Univ …
[15:52, 4/24/2020] Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala: yeah amount of rava should be more…right
[15:52, 4/24/2020] Shalu CUBE Patna: :sweat_smile:
[15:56, 4/24/2020] Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala: If its glass bottles
then we can autoclave them in the cooker as we do in CUBE lab

If its some other plastic bottle type, then washing with soap water will be more than enough. Dry it up and then use them
[15:56, 4/24/2020] Shalu CUBE Patna: Yeah
If its glass bottle, we can sterilize it.
And if its like plastic, i think, washing it with warm water is good.
[15:56, 4/24/2020] Shalu CUBE Patna: yes :+1:t2:
[15:56, 4/24/2020] Yash Institute of Science: If we gave glass bottles, then before starting with media, we should may be
Wash the glass bottle
Then cover the mouth of bottle and put this bottle in a pressure cooker with some amount of water (around 1 cm) and autoclave this bottle with steam build up in cooker.

And pressurized steam will be able to get rid of many of the microbes…

With plastic bottles, we can maybe wash the bottle thoroughly with Soap water…
[15:58, 4/24/2020] Shalu CUBE Patna: why not tomato juice?
:thinking:
[15:58, 4/24/2020] Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala: u mean puree?
[15:58, 4/24/2020] Arunan: So, how do we start the E book? @Shalu CUBE Patna @Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattika @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala Then what all items it will contain? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Kiran Yadav Whom is it addressed?@Akshitha CUBE St Peter’s Will it be instructional or Constructional?@Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Aashutosh @Mayurgaikward
[15:59, 4/24/2020] Shalu CUBE Patna: Puree is juice?
idk

We can cut tomato, can cook it, grind it, and can filter it.
with the juice, i guess medium will be more homogenous.
[16:00, 4/24/2020] Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala: it might become too liquidy…
wont it?
what do u think?
[16:01, 4/24/2020] Shalu CUBE Patna: Yeah, it will, so in place of 2 spoon water, 1 can be enough.
and rava is there to solidify.
Idk, just thinking to makr it more homogenousm
[16:02, 4/24/2020] Arunan: What are the Long term objectives/questions that can be addressed with these silly looking flies?@Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna @Yash Institute of Science
[16:04, 4/24/2020] Shalu CUBE Patna: DROSOPHILA- An under-rated FRIEND of humans
:sweat_smile:
[16:04, 4/24/2020] Shalu CUBE Patna: homogenous*

2 Likes

Is this the line of thinking we have to develop to take it to all frontier areas which are waiting to win Nobel Prize? How about what @abhishek Ashoka was mentioning on Immune system studies…!

2 Likes

What are the Long term objectives/questions that can be addressed with these silly looking flies?@Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala @Shalu CUBE Patna @Yash Institute of Science
DROSOPHILA- An under-rated FRIEND of humans
:sweat_smile:
homogenous*
yes…water if required we can add…otherwise we can skip adding water.
Constructional is preferable over instructional
Constructivist teaching is based on the belief that learning occurs as learners are actively involved in a process of meaning and knowledge construction as opposed to passively receiving information. … Construcivist teaching fosters critical thinking, and creates motivated and independent learners.
Constructional is more preferred
Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink and sing,
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

-------By William blake.
:+1:
CANT WE STANDARDIZE THIS FOR 5 BOTTLE CULTURES? Then calibrate it according to what we require?
Start giving examples of how we start introducing fruitflies in a Constructionist/Constructivist way? @Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala

2 Likes

Undergraduate Biology Students discuss and develop Constructivist/Constructionist Model while introducing Research for creating Context to the Curriculum! See above!

3 Likes

[4/26, 02:03] Drishtant:

CUBE Room Webinar Summary 25April 2020- Fruitflies
by Drishtant CUBE Elphinstone (under Lockdown)

Yesterday (25 April 2020), in the CUBE Room Webinar we had a discussion on our none other than Fruitflies!

• We have been talking about the maintenance of fruit flies in our home-made media for the past 2 weeks!
    It is big time!

We need to get to a strong conclusion about the home-made medium.
Be it Banana Rava Media or Tomato Rava Media.
Real issue: We have seen that both are supporting life but the problem of the media not getting solidified is still there.
If the media is not solidified, even if we are observing larvae, pupae in the bottle, when the fly will eclode and try to feed on the medium, its wings may get and it will not be able to fly and eventually it will die.

So, the main aim according to me, while preparing the media should be that it should match with the constituents of Standard Cornmeal Medium in which we culture flies in the labs.
It has Carbohydrates, Proteins, Fats, Vitamins, Minerals and most importantly, AGAR Powder as the solidifying agent.
This is a well-cooked medium.

[4/26, 02:03] Drishtant: At home, we are using @⁨Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattiia⁩ , @⁨Yash Institute of Science⁩ and other CUBists have been using Rava as a solidifying agent.
@⁨Lydia Mathew CUBE Jhunjhunwala⁩ said, then too we are facing the same problem.
@⁨Arunan⁩ suggested that we should try using more rava while cooking the media with all the constituents.

II.GOOGLE CITED AS REFERENCE!
OR
WHAT ARE AUTHENTIC SOURCES?

Next, through @⁨Aswathy Suresh CUBE Nattiia⁩ comment that she just used Google as a search engine for finding the Life Cycle of Drosophila, we realised the importance of referencing and cross-referencing!

Google simply just cannot be a source of reference. We should try to look for Authors, authentic websites, published papers from recognised journals, the labs in which the experiment was done, the conditions they provided, the citations and cross-references of them.

Each and every detail of it would bring us closer to what we are looking for!
Obviously with some authenticity.

III. DATA, DATA & SOLID DATA: IMPORTANCE OF REAL DATA IN SCIENCE:

Noting the temperature of the place where the flies are kept is also necessary!

IV.CALLING NAMES: CAN WE CALL ANY FRUITFLY DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER?

Later, we pondered upon that are these flies really fruitflies!!?
Then, @⁨Yash Institute of Science⁩, @⁨Saida cUBE Elphinstone⁩ and everyone contributed to the classification of the Fruit-flies.
As Drosophila and Moina, both being Arthropods, what makes them different?

Mosquito and Fruitflies, both belonging to the Class Diptera, how do they differ?

Questions like these need to be addressed and proper referencing will also help us!

Some crucial highlighted points can be pondered upon while preparing the Fruitfly E-Book

V. OF ASHBURNERS, COLD SPRING HARBOURS & TEMPERATURES ( ENZYME KINETICS): ON AUTHENTICITY… CONTEXT2CURRICULUM

In Aswathy’s case, she had referred Michael Ashburner’s (University of Cambridge) link for finding the life-cycle.
It showed 8-10 days would be taken for the flies to come.
But here, she observed that the flies have ecloded from the pupae much earlier!

Are the flies not fruitflies?
What conditions were given by Michael Ashburner while maintaining the flies?

Why this?
@⁨Arunan⁩ and @⁨Mayurgaikward⁩ added that there must be factors like temperature affecting their growth!

How?
The organism is made up of cells and the cells have enzymes which carry out major functions which support the growth of the organism.
@⁨Oyindril Asansole⁩ from Asansol pointed out that here, Enzymatic activity increases as the temperature increases.
Ranging from 20-40 degree Celcius.
The enzymatic activity is at a peak in optimum temperature.
After that, as the temperature will increase, the enzymes (proteins) may get denatured and this may affect the growth of the flies!

2 Likes

Here is a message from Subhash Lakhotia, today. I had sent a list to him a couple of days ago, essentially the one culled out of our elementary introduction to the Fruit fly model :

We thank you all for sending us the list of protocols that you would be willing to contribute.

We are collating all the topics and also waiting for some more to respond during the next few days.

Once collated and examined by the editorial board for overlaps, we will get back for further necessary action.

Best wishes,

S. C. Lakhotia H. A. Ranganath

2 Likes

The objective of a wiki page is not to add content in the replies, though you can discuss about what should be added in the wiki page.

There is a long thread of messages posted from another media. Isn’t it good to extract some substance of that resource and write the outcomes of the process story into the wiki page?

The starting sentence of the main post is edited with a personal comment. That is also not the intention of this page. Please edit, compile all the info into a page.

1 Like

Do you still think that these 'Nobel Prize winner flies’ are “silly looking flies”? How are these flies distinguished from say, mosquito, housefly, butterfly, bees, dragon fly and so on, which we are familiar with?

1 Like

Who is this Ashburner? Is it important for Fruitfly fans to know Ashburner? What is his contribution? @Lydia @drishtantmkawale @Aashu @mayur @Abhishek @abhishek.827

1 Like

Will there be an optimm temperature for Fruitfly development? @drishtantmkawale @Lydia

2 Likes

Let’s discuss this in another chat on STEMGames created by @Lydia
The link is mentioned below

1 Like