S4E149 CUBE chatShaala: How to name and label experimental set ups?

Yesterday in the session we had the context to understand how to name and label experimental set ups. @sidhypp one of the fruit fly CUBE collaborators has restarted the single line cultures of fruit flies all over again but the name of these new bottles are same as previous ones.

CUBE ROOM LINK

Please click on the CUBE (BLUE) to join the CUBE ChatShaala
Timing:5.30 pm to 9.30 pm

Kindly add your place/affiliation along with your name while joining.

Please click on the below given link if you face any issue in joining the webinar, i hope this would help in resolving any issue in joining.

Thanks
Looking forward to your participation

Summary of discussion quoted by @sidhypp
Renamed the Cultures

In July 2020 , I had made 5 single line cultures. They were named as SLTT-A , SLTT-B, SLTT-C , SLTT-D and SLTT-E . After losing all these cultures , again started 2 new single line cultures in February 2021. To distinguish these cultures from 2020 cultures , named them as SLTT21-A and SLTT21- B. These two cultures lost in April 2021.

On 16 August 2021 , started 3 new single line cultures. And named them same as that of 2020 cultures. This will make confusions and affect the data of almost six months long single line cultures of 2020 which were also identified as of Drosophilidae family. I didn’t think this while naming. I thought that 2020 cultures are not existing and now I am starting the cultures after a gap of three and a half months.

In today’s chatshaala ,Arunan Sir asked me about this and made me understand the importance of nomenclature in research projects . Also I realised how valuable my old works and findings even when the cultures are not existing.

So , renamed all the single cultures of 2021 as a continuation of 2020 single line cultures. New names are :

SLTT - F ( SLTT21 - A) February
SLTT - G ( SLTT21 - B) February

SLTT - H 16 th August
SLTT - I 16 th August
SLTT - J 16 th August

@⁨Arunan HBSCE⁩ Sir , @⁨Lakshmy PJ CUBE⁩ , @⁨KIRAN CUBE⁩ Ma’am , @⁨Aswathy Suresh CUBE⁩ @⁨Abhijeet Singh⁩ helped me in renaming and understanding the importance of nomenclature in projects. Thank you everyone.

SUMMARY - CUBE Chatshaala quoted by @saswathy679 .

Single Line Culture updates @Sidhy from from Thanniam - Thrissur Kerala, Restarted fruit flies works on 16-08-2021 made new single line cultures.

There is an issue while naming the cultures.Because last year July 2020 also started 5 cultures named SLTT A, B, C, D & E. But unfortunately she lost those all culture after 6 months later due to some other reasons (Goof ups)

Then February 2021 again restarted 2 single line cultures named SLTT 21A, SLTT 21B that’s also lost after 2month later.

August 2021, made 3 new single line cultures started with one mother flies naming again same that she added in pervious single line culture bottles.

:black_small_square:Why Naming Is Important!?:thinking:

:black_small_square:Importance of Nomenclature.

Whatever work we are doing or done in at particular model systems that all works were recorded in here or somewhere. So all details are valuable even names also important factors that will help to identify.

Aashi from Haryana were joined yesterday chatshaala.
She want to addressing about how to study microbes from various corner of home. Eg : microbes on fridge handle.

:black_small_square:Is there any effects of sunlight in microbes.?

:black_small_square:Difference between sunlight and some other lights, how will effects microbes!

:black_small_square:Why only sunlight get effects microbes?

Culture microbes at homes!
How can we culture microbes at homes.

:black_small_square:What type of media will help to grow microbes?

Why can’t use POTATO slice for to isolate microbes.

Why microbes growing very well on potato surface ? What could be the season?

Potato contains STARCH, Carbohydrates, Irons, Vitamins etc.

What is the factors that promoting microbes growth over potato slices?

STARCH

Starch is contains carbohydrates. Starch is a polymer of glucose C6 H12 O6. Complex Carbohydrates.

:black_small_square:Importance Culture Media
:black_small_square:Which type of Culture media selecting for to culturing microbes?

Aashi Batul Adithya Aastha please add your points

Microbes are present over the surface of potato slices Picture credit : Batul

Experiment isolating microbes from using coconut water.

Experiment details giving below :point_down:

“18/8/2021. The fermented coconut water was spread on the boiled potato slices. Method: boiled potato slices were taken in a container with lid. A ear bud was used to take the fermented coconut water from the bottles. One bud for open bottle and one for closed bottle. The bud was dipped/soaked in the fermented coconut water. This bud was then spreaded on potato in S shape. Marked red are inoculated slices with open bottle coconut water. Marked blue are slices with closed bottle coconut water. Marked green are the non inoculated potato slices. Expectation: No colonies seen on non inoculated potato slices. Colonies should appear on inoculated slices. Date: 18/8/2021. Aditya Joshi. Kala Talav, Kalyan west.”

Click here to view the map
518 th day of CUBE ChatShaala: 19th August 2021.

19 CUBists from 19 Centres had joined the webinar.

INDIA
Delhi
Aastha Ahuja: ANDC
Dr P. Chitralekha: DSC

Haryana
Aashi: Panipat

Jharkhand
Rechel Tirkey:
Morabadi, Ranchi

Kerala
Aswathy Suresh: Thriprayar
Lakshmy PJ: Kandassankadavu
Seethalakshmi CR: Pazhuvil, Thrissur

Maharashtra
Aashutosh Mule: Ghatkopar, Mumbai
Abhijeet Singh: Ulwe, Navi Mumbai
Aditya Joshi: Kalyan
Arunan MC: Breach Candy, South Mumbai
Mandar Chavan : Andheri, Mumbai
Saee Kamat: Fergusson, Pune
Shraddha Sonavane: Panvel

Uttar Pradesh
Kiran Yadav: Moradabad
Kanchan Bafila: Pithoragarh

West Bengal
Batul Pipewala: Kolkata

Meena
Prachi Pant

Note
Cubist(s) who had joined today but their name isn’t included in the list, kindly replied to this message.