We discussed the phenomenon of “Bending Light” via PhET simulation in the Part I.
Here our main focus is on studying the phenomenon of “Bending of Light” while it travels through different mediums in the context of Refraction and Reflection.
(Note: You can place the intensity meter on the ray to measure the intensity of light)
Reflections : -
- We explored how intensity of light varies with the change in Index of Refraction
- How angle of refraction varies with the change in the Index of Refraction of the medium
- Total intensity of Light = Intensity of (Refracted Ray + Reflected Ray)
- Angle of Incidence = Angle of Reflection
- We find out the “Index of Refraction” of unknown material by analysing the relation and pattern of variation and further extrapolating the obtained data .
Questions to ponder:
- What can we say about the nature of media based on the above observations??
- Why does the intensity of the refracted light decreased on increasing the refractive index of the medium?
Collaborators in video resource creation: Deepak Arora, Ravi Sinha, Swarnava Mitra
PhET Interactive Simulations
University of Colorado Boulder
For plotting the graphs